Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

East Enders was more interesting

Discussion in 'Episode 314 - Prey' started by Hank, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Hank

Hank Member

I’m probably going to get a lot of flak for this, but I’m sorry to say this once great show has definitely lost its way. It’s a great pity but the Walking Dead has become very irksome and tiresome.

I wonder, is it now time to re-name the series ‘Guv and Andrea’? Or how about just ‘The Guv’?

Unusually for me I watched East Enders this week and I have to say it was a lot more interesting than any of the last 3 episodes of The Walking Dead have been.

After building the tension in the first half of series 3, the writers of The Walking Dead seem content to just go round and round and round the same plot points via secondary and tertiary characters without actually developing the story. Tedious.

I suppose Andrea trying to run away and getting caught could almost be considered a story development except that it’s a sub-plot, and I’m looking for progression of the main storyline, being about the group of survivors led by Rick. But that story has stagnated for at least 3 episodes now.

The show seems to have become about this guy called the Governor and how many times he can lie to the brain-dead around him without their working out how stupid they’re being. Not the show I was watching, and very tedious.

But 49 minutes into this episode I caught a glimpse of the main character, that guy I mentioned named Rick. He stood around a few seconds and then it was back to the Guv, and him dishing out more BS. Yaaaaaaaawn.

There was at least SOME drama and SOME action in this episode, but for me it’s too little too late. It was not central to the main plot, it could all have happened 4 episodes ago around other more major developments, and it actually resulted in going nowhere but (surprise surprise) round and round again.

Am I the only one who feels let down by the way this series has unravelled?

2. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

No, you're not the only one. We get this exact same post after every episode. We should make a sub forum for you guys.

I get that people can have their complaints, but c'mon. It's a TV series. Not every episode will please everyone. This isn't some big revelation...

3. Walker Bait

Walker Bait Well-Known Member

As the seasons get longer expect more "filler" subplot episodes. That's just the nature of TV.

But if you're this tied in knots after three dragging episodes, how did you ever survive season two?

4. Jhn123

Jhn123 Active Member

"Prey" has been my favouraite episode this season, the only thing I didn't like is that she got caught and it's back to square one. But I haven't had a problem with any other episodes.

5. GovernorsGal

GovernorsGal New Member

*Slides in, turtle slaps my bestie JhnJhn and leaves in that pick up truck!*

6. Jhn123

Jhn123 Active Member

*escapes the truck and kicks my bestie in the private area and runs*

7. GovernorsGal

GovernorsGal New Member

Did you just C*nt punt me? XD

8. Jhn123

Jhn123 Active Member

Yes<3

9. Hank

Hank Member

Hey Bassman. I don't think I expect every epsiode to be 100% perfect; what I'm saying is more to do with the series as a whole. It is reeeeeeeeeeally draaaaaaaaaaaagging. Like trying to travel from A to B, turning off somewhere along the way to get a paper; and then turning off again and going in another direction completely; and then finding oneself at a mini-roundabout and just round and round and round. All the recent tedious episodes have not even been near the main road let alone allowing the central story to actually get anywhere. That's my complaint. Not the occasional duff episode. The series has lost its way big time.

Walker Bait, I'd disagree filler sub-plot episodes are the nature of TV. They may be the nature of sub-standard TV, but not TV per se. I can think of many great TV shows from years past that didn't allow the momentum to fail. One example that comes to mind was the first series of 24. The momentum of the story was maintained through numerous sub-plots.

But I think the writing of The Walking Dead has historically been much, much better than has been the case with the second half of series 3. Series 2 was very slow for while, but even then I recall much more development of the main story and the main characters.

And with respect Bassman, maybe what you actually need is a sub-forum for people who don't care how sloppy the writing gets.

10. GovernorsGal

GovernorsGal New Member

Owies.

11. ripbongs420

ripbongs420 Member

It isn't really back to square one regarding Andrea. I mean it went from about to shoot Philip in his "workshop" to being cuffed to the chair. That's a pretty decent change in the situation.

Also now Tyresse and Sasha have even more reason to be skeptical about the place after Andrea's "the governor is a bad man" chat.

12. GovernorsGal

GovernorsGal New Member

We get so much done in that workshop..me and Martinez made bird houses the other day! 0w0

13. Jhn123

Jhn123 Active Member

What I mean by back to square one is that they spent the last 3 quarters of the episode getting her from Woodbury to the prison and then right when she got there he caught her and she was back in Woodbury again.

14. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

What was the show's "way"? What you imagined personally? That can never be accomplished. And seeing as how you haven't read the comic, there's no justifiable way to say it's "lost it's way". It's really quite on course....

The writing can indeed become sloppy. That happens with every show/movie and it's already happened with this series. That kind of thing happens, but you've got to look at the greater good.

And just for the record, Robert Kirkman, creator of TWD and producer of the TV series, has said that he wasn't pleased with the ending episodes of this season. This ties into the departure of Glen Mazzara as showrunner.

I'm not saying everyone should blindly praise every part of the show. I'm saying that some things should be overlooked for the best. Every piece of entertainment composed by hundreds of people will have similar issues.

Buy the ticket, take the ride.

15. melthebell

melthebell Well-Known Member

if you carried on the main subplot itd die quicker, surely?
    surely itd just be as boring watching rick and that pottering round the prison? the point with these episodes is theyre building things up in the oppositions camp before it all kicks off between the two groups big time.
    its a long term story, theres various groups of survivors, ricks group is the main focus but it has to focus and build these other groups up otherwise thered be no series

16. GovernorsGal

GovernorsGal New Member

*Slips in to wave pompoms for Bassman*

17. Walker Bait

Walker Bait Well-Known Member

See, I think they're progressing the story really really well in season 3.5. Every episode has built tension toward the inevitable war between the prison and Woodbury. If they had charged headlong into a war I would have thought that was sloppy writing.

But I think you and I might just be at an impasse. I considered the entire run of 24 to be shlock. They just kept firing bullets and blowing stuff up to mask the glaring internal inconsistencies. The only thing that sets the first season apart from the umpteenth was that the "real time" gimmick was novel.

18. GovernorsGal

GovernorsGal New Member

You just mad that she got caught XD

19. ripbongs420

ripbongs420 Member

Aww thats adorable. :zombies_lol:

20. 4nomads

4nomads Member

I watch Eastenders and this thread made me run off to watch what happened this week.

You LIE!!!

Boring week.......sooooooooo boring.

I am going to go join an Eastenders fan forum and complain about how my favorite show is ruined ;)