Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

East Enders was more interesting

Discussion in 'Episode 314 - Prey' started by Hank, Mar 23, 2013.

1. dogfighter

dogfighter Member

RicksRightHand, how do you feel about the walking dead right now? Do you still like the show?

2. melthebell

melthebell Well-Known Member

oh i dunno, plenty of zombies in eastenders lol, or should i say dead heads?

lame brains to paraphrase from the episode nebraska from twd

3. RicksRightHand

I love the show. I think The Walking Dead and Breaking Bad are the two best written shows on television right now. I've never stopped liking the show. Some episodes are better than others but it evens itself out at the end of the season.

4. Zugzwang

Zugzwang Member

This rigorous assessment deserves a standing ovation. Thank you.

5. camous

camous Member

6. lurkers&roamers

I'll admit the writing hasn't been as good as it has been or should be the last few episodes. I find this especially true in the character of Andrea. I don't know if it's Holden's acting or the writing, probably a bit of both, so I tend to have sour feelings about the episodes centered around her. But I don't think you can say nothing huge has happened for 3 episodes. In Clear there was some good development with Rick and Carl, but more notably Michonne and Morgan, and I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of him. Then, in Arrow on the Doorpost the Governor gave Rick his little ultimatum. In Prey, we had some development with Tyrese, Sasha, and Milton, all of whom look to be important characters for the storyline between the prison and Woodbury and could join Rick's group at some point. This development is necessary, and just because Rick's group wasn't in it doesn't mean it is a bad episode.

7. WarriorPrincess

WarriorPrincess Well-Known Member

Never even heard of East Enders.

8. RicksRightHand

You don't need to. It's the most dire piece of Television ever made. It's set in Londons East End (funnily enough). It's just lots of people shouting and making dramatic situations out of nothing. Plus everyone's slept with each other at some point in the shows remarkably long existence.

9. 4nomads

4nomads Member

I think you can compare the two shows. Dot Branning is starting to look like the living dead and the Kat and Alfie storyline is dead but somehow keeps finding a way to live on.

10. Jhn123

Jhn123 Active Member

It's a UK soap :)

11. Thales

Thales Well-Known Member

East Enders is utter shite.

12. dogfighter

dogfighter Member

One thing is making a thread to talk about something that doesn't make sense while still being a huge fan of the show. Another thing is to make a thread to bash the show completely. One thing that stood out to me from the user that started this thread was

If we stop responding to these trollers then they will go away. Every time someone creates a thread that completely bashes this show they can always count on like 40 of us responding to them.

STOP RESPONDING TO THESE THREADS AND THE TROLLERS WILL GO AWAY.

13. Hank

Hank Member

Hi again RicksRightHand.

“Episode 12: Clear - Rick sees just how isolated he could become if he continues to shut off the group and chase ghosts around the prison. Rick, Carl and Michonne all create a bond and the group recover some much needed munitions for the upcoming fight with Woodbury.”

Rick’s apparent recovery is a good point, I’ll give you that. But for me, whilst this is certainly significant it highlights another problem, sporadic ideas appearing and disappearing episode by episode. Rick recovering some sense wasn’t really dealt with in the story, he seemed to just flip from having extremely serious problems one episode to being back to normal the next. But whilst it is significant, has this flip back to sanity resulted in a substantial change in the story of Rick's group? How has their story actually progressed through the last 3 episodes because of Rick’s recovery? Very little if at all I would suggest. Apart from that, some characters have a bonding session. Some weapons are found. What is the substantial change in the group’s story?

“Episode 13: Arrow on the Doorpost - Rick finally meets the Governor and the politics of the new world are unearthed, parties from both the Prison group and Woodbury semi-bond with each other and realise they're both in a situation they don't particularly want to be a part of. Andrea begins to significantly doubt the Governor and turns her attention now to making sure her old group are safe. Rick tells the group they're going to war. (That's a pretty big change in the group dynamic)”

Again, what here has resulted in a substantial change in the story of Rick's group? I didn’t see the unearthing of the politics of the new world, I saw Rick sit and listen to the Governors BS for a whole episode. Some other characters have a bit of a bonding session in the background. Andrea flaps around trying to figure out what is going on and wonders what she should do to save the day, all as per usual. Rick tells the group what has been evident to everyone in the TV audience and to every character in both groups in the show except Andrea and Judith for at least 4 episodes. What is the substantial change in the group’s story?

“Episode 14: Prey - Andrea decides to leave Woodbury to warn Rick and possibly rejoin her old group. She also plants the seed of doubt in Tyrese's head regarding the Governor and Woodbury which could potentially see him leave the town to return to the Prison to aid Rick and the group. Milton also scuppers the Governors plans for the ambush on Rick's group at the next negotiation.
    An unsettled and divided Woodbury is just as much to the prison groups advantage as obtaining a new ally.”

Again, don’t see it, bro. Andrea decides to leave Woodbury and warn the other group of what they already know, i.e. the Governor is a terrible man who can’t be trusted.. She tells Tyreese nothing substantial, so that he can take over Andrea’s place as Guv-dupe-numero-uno. Re. Milton, if you mean the burning of the walkers; the Governor has already sent out for replacements. An unsettled and divided Woodbury is a sub-plot about a secondary group in the narrative of Rick’s group. What is the substantial change in Rick’s group’s story at the end of this episode?

Re. leadership. Yes, I realise issues of leadership constitute one of the story’s themes. That doesn’t mean a drama should neglect the development of central characters, regurgitate the same points of a sub-plot again and again, or meander into tedium ad infinitum for 3 or 4 episodes at a time.

Hey dogfighter. You say –
    “East Enders and the walking dead are polar opposites. If you would have compared the walking dead to Super Natural then I could understand your argument a little better. This thread is stupid.”

My point is that if TWD has become so bad it’s even more boring than East Enders then that is dire indeed. I wasn’t comparing the two programmes in terms of similarity of content.

& you say -
    “One thing is making a thread to talk about something that doesn't make sense while still being a huge fan of the show. Another thing is to make a thread to bash the show completely. One thing that stood out to me from the user that started this thread was

“If we stop responding to these trollers then they will go away. Every time someone creates a thread that completely bashes this show they can always count on like 40 of us responding to them.

STOP RESPONDING TO THESE THREADS AND THE TROLLERS WILL GO AWAY. “

But you misunderstand. I’m not a troll. I’m a very annoyed TWD fan. And I’m airing my views. If you don’t like discussion why are you on a forum?

4nomads -
    “I think you can compare the two shows. Dot Branning is starting to look like the living dead and the Kat and Alfie storyline is dead but somehow keeps finding a way to live on.”
    Funny!!

I dunno, but I see a lot of potential for some convergence here. Do the producers of these two programmes recognise the cross-over potential. In series 4 of TWD could some survivors get a boat over the ocean and we could get a little Cockneys vs Zombies action?

Okay everyone. There it is, that’s my opinion. I’m struggling with the series right now. Sorry, not trying to bum everyone out. Just airing my views out of frustration. For me, TWD has been the best TV show for years and years, and it has been so well done, and it has been a real highlight of my week (and I’m very happy to discuss the shows past strengths as well), but I find it has gone wrong in its storytelling and I’m having my two-penneth worth about it is all. I really hope it gets back on track. But if not I’ll still be very annoyed with the writers. Okay I've had my say.

#53 Hank, Mar 23, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013