Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Episode 416 - "A" COMPLAINTS

Discussion in 'Episode 416 - A' started by TheGreatOnion, Mar 29, 2014.

1. The Wolf

The Wolf Well-Known Member

@DixonBrothersS3, I agree with you about Merle, Michael Rooker played one funny redneck badass, his one liners were second to none.
    This guy Merle cracked me up with his prejudice thought process, he had me laughing every time he opened his mouth.

TWD seems to have exterminated some of their greatest characters, Merle, Hershel and the destructive writing that caused most fans to hate Andrea, she could have been one of the most fantastic female characters on TWD besides Michonne.
    Poor Laurie Holden, what this woman must have endured while playing the dumb blond Andrea on TWD, bad writing can't even begin to describe how bad they FKD her character up.

#141 The Wolf, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  2. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

Yeah, there really wasn't a lot he could have done. there were quite a few bandits, and he only had a crossbow and a knife. hell, Carl had an Uzi, and even he couldn't have done anything-- after his first shot, whatever bandits were left alive would've shot rick, michonne, and daryl, then emptied their guns into the van at Carl. the ONLY way they could have managed to escape that situation is if something happened that was so shocking, it stunned the bandits long enough for ricarlchonnearyl to build some momentum in their counter-attack. violence of action is key: overwhelm your enemy to the point where he's too stunned to react.

3. ProjectBlue

ProjectBlue Member

Funny you mentioned about the writing for Andrea. I just posted a message under the charterer forum saying that I just had re-watched season 1 episode 4 and came to the same conclusion.
    Merle was great, if not a bit over-the-top. But I will admit to laughing just about every time he opened his mouth. Loved his scene while handcuffed on top of the roof. It was not funny, but I could see someone like him praying to God to help him then, after seeing the hacksaw, saying, basically, screw you, God... I can figure this out myself.
    That is one thing I really like about TWD, you can see yourself or other real people doing the same type of things in the same positions. Not always, but enough times that it really stands out much more then just about any other TV show

4. The Wolf

Yeah, I always thought Merle was hilarious, Michael Rooker should have gotten an Emmy for his portrayal of the redneck Merle Dixon.
    Almost every line Merle spoke might have been over the top but he was sure fun to watch and Rooker is such a great actor you really believed everything he said.
    I think in season 5 we need more flash backs of Merle, R.I.P. my friend.

5. Maxum

Maxum New Member

And how would he reload another bolt into the bow with Joe's guys having their weapons trained at the back of his head? As fast and accurate a shot as Daryl is, and he could easily have taken out Joe, there is no way he could have reloaded and shot another guy before they shot him or took out Michonne and Rick.

I didn't see a meek Daryl at all. Like he said to Rick, he didn't realize it was Rick until he saw him, in the same moment that Rick saw Daryl. There was nothing meek about Daryl's actions, especially considering he was offering himself in Rick's place. I know coming out, bow blazing would have been cool, but it would have gotten everyone, including himself killed. Unfortunately, a bow and a sword are no match for a gun or rifle in terms of being able to reload and/or getting close enough to deliver a killing blow. It's why Daryl and Michonne were unable to use their weapons at Terminus. Automatic rifles will always outdo a handgun, crossbow, and sword. At least for now.

I think Daryl did the only thing he could in that moment which was to try and reason with Joe. There was no indication in the last episode that Joe was not reasonable, and he did like Daryl. I noticed how upset Joe was when he realized that Daryl was willing to sacrifice himself for Rick. He was very disappointed and then angry.

No he didn't. He saw them kill one of their own after Len tried to get Daryl killed. That's all he knew, and he also saw Joe step up for him. They had a stupid code, as Daryl said, but it was a code nonetheless. I don't know how Daryl could have known that they were child rapists or that Joe would condone it. I was actually liking Joe myself there for a while.

It was the only card he had to play. Like everyone has been saying, he was outnumbered and outgunned.

#145 Maxum, Apr 10, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  6. FutureApocalyps

Any initial aggressiveness could've gotten Rick and Michonne killed immediately.

7. Caryl

Caryl Member

See now I was all set to Like your post then you had to drop that bomb of nonsense. Now all I have to say is:
    [​IMG]

8. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

Like this post, but Carol's kills were season 4, I believe.

9. Geek Walker

Geek Walker Member

I missed this post for some reason. Well put.

10. justjoinedtosay

she's killed more than the 3 she killed in cold blood in one season, s4?

**** she's worse than I thought

11. HondaS2kXD

Methinks we needs a recount.

Daryl killed SEVERAL dudes in the midseason finale, and I only remember one in the finale. But I agree that all were plenty justified.

Rick's count is more than five. There were the two Nebraska guys. Shane. Tomas. Shane's lookalike inside woodbury. Then Dan and joe. Plus we can assume he killed a few in Glenn and Maggie's rescue and the governor's final assault. That being said ALL of these were justified, and mostly in self defense.

Michonne killed two of the guys who were with Merle, the hillbilly on the way to Woodbury, 1/2 the governor, and two of joe's guys. The hillbilly is questionable, but I say they were all the right calls.

Carol was 3, but I'd say lizzie was a necessary evil. You could call it defense-- if not of herself and tyrese, of Judith. But I agree that Karen and David was a bad call.

And then you went and did it. "Carl's is one in cold blood." Bull f*cking shit. I've debated this one time and again, and I can tell you that EVERY single thing jody did indicates he was planning to make a move. He approached carl, keeping the shotgun still quite dangerously close to pointing at him. He didn't DROP the gun like he was asked. His face inside the prison says he was there for blood. Governor told everyone to make sure they had a sidearm, so he most likely had a knife or a pistol he wasn't telling them about. And he kept his safety off and his finger on the trigger guard. If he was genuinely planning to hand the gun over, the process is to turn the safety on, remove your strong hand from the weapon entirely, and hand it to carl, holding it by the forearm, with it pointed either straight up or straight down. Basically, what he did was exactly what you WOULDN'T do if you wanted to hand the gun over, and exactly what you WOULD do if you wanted to brush carl's gun to the side and use him as a human shield while you killed Hershel and Beth. (And Judith)

If carl was looking to simply make a cold blooded kill, Hershel wouldn't have had time to tell him to drop the gun. Carl is fast on the trigger. Watch the scene where he saves tyreese's group. He sees walkers, and they die. No hesitation. And then after the shot, he doesn't doubt himself, but he doesn't spit on the body or shout "hells yeah," or even crack his trademarked "I just saved Hershel" grin. It was self defense. Period.

I don't remember Hershel killing anyone ever, but I do remember either him or Glenn killed some of the Nebraska guys' friends outside. Can't remember which one. But that was self defense.

I do agree that Daryl is often misunderstood as being a one-dimensional badass, but I think the MOST misunderstood title has to go to Carl or Michonne.

12. M3O

M3O Member

D@mmit Darrly!
    [​IMG]

13. Jods

Jods New Member

Although the episode had me on the edge of my seat I can't help but be a little disappointed. Nothing really happened, there was no real plot progression.

14. justjoinedtosay

I typed out a whole long reply to this, but the auto timeout meant I lost the whole thing. so **** it.

15. HondaS2kXD

Lol that sucks. Well, if you ever get around to it, I'm always game for a good debate/discussion.

16. daveainthere

daveainthere Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plot_(narrative)

yeah I wish they would get off the farm, I hope they find a home, I am tired of the prison, how long are they going to be separated...How are they going to get out of that boxcar? :zombies_rolleyes:

17. The Wolf

How about the plot progression with Rick and Carl, I believe that was the significance of the whole episode.

18. Daryl Rocks

Daryl Rocks Well-Known Member

I thought he said he hung back when he saw it was them.

19. HondaS2kXD

his exact quote was, "they said they were lookin' for some guy. last night they said they spotted him. i was hangin' back. was gonna leave. but i stayed. that's when i saw it was you three-- whenever you saw me."
    basically, my understanding is he was unaware it was rick until they saw each other. but by that time, the claimers were already in position, and there was nothing he could do except offer to sacrifice himself to show Joe that they were good people.

20. Maxum

Maxum New Member

You're correct about Daryl's response with one correction: "but i stayed. that's when i saw it was you three-- right when you saw me."

That's what I saw too. By the time Daryl caught up and realized who they were holding, Joe had a gun right at Rick's head, Michonne was disarmed and had a gun pointed at her, and the two other guys had their rifles also pointed at Rick and Michonne So it was four against two, and the remaining fat guy was stalking Carl. By the time Daryl was upon them, all of Joe's people were in place with guns trained on Rick and Michonne, and Joe was almost at the end of his countdown. Daryl's interjection bought time, got two of the four off of Rick and Michonne, and at least gave each of them a fighting chance. It took all three: Rick, Michonne, and Daryl to take out the marauders. That's why they are Team Bad****. It's also why I loved Rick's last line of the finale. Terminus has NO clue who they are messing with, just like Joe and his gang didn't. And now they have Glenn, Maggie, Sasha, and Bob. Throw in Tyreese and Carol, and Terminus is doomed.

#160 Maxum, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2014