Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Episode 509 Channel 4 Live

Discussion in 'Episode 509 - Channel 4' started by Sharpie61, Aug 11, 2019.

1. KiernansFaerie

KiernansFaerie Active Member

My husband fell asleep, like I'm sure many people did. He asked me what he missed. I summed it up in about two sentences.
    Why not show us exactly what happened with Logan? That might have been interesting. Or them finding the oil field , which is being run by some people Polar Bear knew, if I understood that part correctly.
    And why leave Logan alive? Did they think he'd drop this and just move on? But of course we don't know what really happened there. And everyone can be saved, Blah, blah, blah.
    They skip over the action stuff and show us just the touchy feely stuff. Why?
    Their apocalyptic psa let us know where everyone's head was at, except Wendell, who was with the kids.
    OK. Stage set for their emotional states.
    Now let's move on to some story telling. Please?
    The previews looked like some good stuff may be coming up.
    The ending gave us the promise of conflict.
    Maybe they're going to turn a corner on this? I feel like I've said that before, though. And..... nothing.
    With Salazar traveling with them, I have hope.
    I was hoping Althea would finally drop the camera, but they've gone and doubled down on it.
    Seems like a waste, considering how many people might actually be able to see it.
    I think that the writers and showrunners should have a sit down with Angela Kang and her crew. Maybe they could set them straight?
    Plenty of great actors and characters and they're completely wasting their talents with lackluster, weak writing.
    That young guy at the end who watched their tape before running into Logan kind of cracked me up. I interpreted his reaction to their story as being much the same way a lot of fans are reacting. As in... Are these people for real?!
    That's the impression I got at least.
    I have zero expectations at this point, so I'll just hang on and kill time before TWD S10 starts and hope for something interesting to happen.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

There was dialog that they had left tape or tapes for people to watch to see that they really are friendly folk who genuinely want to help. Pfft.

I have the same underlying questions about how it works as you do.

I agree that walkers are perfect for clearing land mines. But what idiot wouldn't have made a map so the family wouldn't accidentally trip one? Or plant flowers around the one in the front yard. Something.

And Morgan could have flung the asthma canister box up on to the porch. I'm sure she could have gotten it from the porch since her child's life depended on it. Or tether the boy and let him go out on the porch and fetch it.

One of our group filming Morgan stranded on a landmine was completely unbelievable. That isn't what you do in that situation. If you can be of no further practical help, you get the hell out of range and use the zoom if you are creepy enough to want to tape your friend blowing up. None of the lunatic dialog about how it is necessary to record everything for posterity makes any of that creepiness acceptable.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same.

The truth is out there

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

All of this.

It seems to me that FTWD wasn't getting the numbers AMC expected so their plan was to connect the shows and change the theme from being dark to more light hearted. So they brought in these two show runners because obviously Dave wasn't on board with these ideas. The new runners are not great story tellers but they brain storm these little ideas and situations to put the characters in. They mistake these interesting situations with actual, cohesive story telling. Season 4 was full of these situations where they put characters in, what would normally be, interesting situations. But they didn't have the ability to write the situation where it made sense in the overall story. No way of getting the characters into and out of those situations. So we end up with Strand and John stuck on an "island" but end up rescuing them by driving over 3" of water.

This season is following the same pattern. They are writing backwards by coming up with these situations and trying to craft the story around them as opposed to crafting the story and inserting interesting situations later. It's almost as if we are supposed to be watching individual episodes and not a 16 story arc. Instead of being TWD, telling a 16 part story. They are the doing true episodic stories like House or Friends. Telling 16 individual stories that are loosely connected to one another.

It's beyond bad writing, it's just a completely flawed method and doesn't work in a long narrative style like this. This isn't a sitcom or a dramedy. It's a long style series but they aren't treating it like that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Definitely not a strong episode, and I'm really growing tired of all the focus on the altruistic 'helping hands' dialogue and Al's tapes, but to be honest I didn't find the episode as bad as I anticipated. I expected them to jump into another 'Dirty Woman' type skirmish where the group spent several episodes fighting with Logan in a convoluted and cheesy manner. So in a way it was refreshing that they didn't go that predictable route. Although it looks like it still is headed that way. But yes, fairly weak episode. Not a Beerballoon-gate type disaster, but weak.

6. naossano

naossano Member

The more they talk about having a kick in helping others, like an hive mind, the more i want Alpha and the whisperers to show up and grab a few hostages...

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

Then it appears as if they're leaving that tape at a bunch of locations for people to watch it? Good to see the power grid is back up and technology is returning.

Then they just keep driving around constantly, which makes no sense. The show has become a parody of itself.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Stealth

That part drove me crazy too. Oh no there's a minefield we can't cross it to help this woman. Hurry up shoot those walkers before they get in the yard and detonate any of the mines!

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

With all it’s faults and with going in with REALLY LOW expectations........call me Pollyanna this week. I actually really enjoyed this episode. Lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Stealth

It makes no sense too. They're not discerning about the people they're helping, and this is coming after they lost their home to Logan. The next person they let in could lead to their demise and then they won't be able to help anyone. People like Dwight, Alicia and Daniel have gone through a lot too. They should be questioning Morgan's whole approach. Also, now that they have all those kids they should be even more cautious about who they take in. It's all so unrealistic.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

My girl Alpha would not sully her hands with the likes of these goobs ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. PepperAnn

@Lindigo I am my one person island this week huh? LMAO

13. NakedCity

NakedCity Well-Known Member

That's the only thing that could put this show on track: a major and vicious massacre that would put them in a situation where helping people would be the least of their worries. It now reached levels of boredom really few will tolerate...

At least, in all that nothing-interestingness, Luciana finally found some relevance as the second crew camera operator...........

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. Lindigo

:eek: SERIOUSLY???? :D:D:D:D

15. Lindigo

Does your poor melted brain have enough words to say why???? LOL

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. PepperAnn

I am not sure, I just found it entertaining and engaging. I think my meter is gauging only on whether I am not bored and I was not bored. :p

• Like Like x 1
  17. Lindigo

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
  18. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

from Erik Kane via Forbes regarding episode 9 ( no matter that I agree with him about FTWD, he still grates on my last damn nerve)

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. Stealth

They have some good actors in this series but they're not giving them anything to work with. The funny thing is too that with all the changes at TWD, if Lennie James had stayed there he would've been one of the lead actors along with Norman Reedus and Melissa McBride.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. PepperAnn

As I was watching it Monday night, I was still in awe with Lennie James' acting ability. Which is what led me to think, poor dude, they gave him the B role. Lol

• Agree Agree x 1