Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Eugene is the only useful coward.

Discussion in 'Episode 605 - Now' started by Ionut, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

He's a dark horse in the coward-sphere due to his intelligence and uncanny survival instinct at gathering resources through others and quick thinking.

Unlike his cowardly counter parts - the majority of the Alexandrian's, Mr. Eugene in a community is a very useful asset because he's smart and isn't really a hazard - he stays out of the way. His lie and trip to DC did get people killed along the way(though this is circumstantial since people get killed in a zombie apocalypse frequently) but it also brought Abraham from the brink of eating a bullet and brought the others to the group.

If he lasts then combined with a planner like Deanna he could provide excellent insights to really reinforce the place and come up with idea's that would help them stay alive on the run.

The character entertains me also, he's hilarious in his self assured awkwardness.

To clarify what I mean by the difference between his survival instinct and that of a regular coward of low intelligence - he knows he can't fight so he manipulates a way for him to stay alive and it worked, where as others give up or mentally lose it and walk into a bad situation.

A group of bad totally ruthless people would have executed him upon finding out his deceit, but Rick's group have kept him around and patched up their differences. Another example for people who think Rick's group have become more in the realm of the Governor or Shane, not so.

2. Sachiko

Sachiko Active Member

Yeah, Eugene can be really important to the group and he listens to them also. When he offers to help and they take it, he'll help, but if they want him to stay back he has no problem in doing so as well. His intelligence makes him very useful [the comic readers will know more about that]; and I think he's really started growing on them. Besides, I wouldn't really call him a coward, as he isn't afraid to step in even knowing he's unskilled.

3. Zed Sanford

Zed Sanford Member

I don't know. By the end of the season, I think Father Gabriel will win the MVC award (most valuable coward). The switch has flipped in his head, and I think he's fully on board with learning how to fight, as well as developing the mindset to be able to step forward into a dangerous situation as it is his duty to himself and the other residents.

While I like Eugene, I don't think he'll have some major inventive breakthrough that will be a game-changer for the community. If anything, I'd like to see him develop armor/clothing for fighting. Other than that, he's only got his peeping tom skills, and his lesbian-o-meter.

And then there's Spencer. He's gonna be at the bottom of the barrell. He had a fully loaded assault rifle, he knew the attackers had no guns, Morgan offered to be his wolf-hunting buddy, and he was still too scared to join the fight. Oh..and he's a hypocrite who is cool with stealing food just for him. Now, he might provide some skills to Rosita if they choose to take it that direction, but that's going to set off a shit-storm of jealousy, anger, and irrational responses.

Ok...my sleep medds have really kicked in. cant even go back through to see if it was writte ook. G'nite

4. Berry

Berry Member

Spencer vs. Abraham, hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I hope to see more of Eugene. Still trying to figure out what type of woman would be good for him... LOVE Tara's relationship with him, just friends, but the camaraderie is a pleasure to watch.

#4 Berry, Nov 14, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  5. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

Abraham would turn Spencer into a walker faster than you could say Spencer.

Abraham I like. A big brute but one with emotional dimension and heart.

6. Sachiko

Sachiko Active Member

You'd be surprised mate.

7. Zed Sanford

Zed Sanford Member

I hope I will be. While I like his character, I haven't really been that impressed with his abilities that we've seen on the show so far. We've seen some minor things that could come in handy (filtering the water, making a battery, etc.), and he knew what part to look for in the warehouse (he had looked at the part at the ASZ already though), but nothing that shows us he's got so much to offer beyond that.

8. Sachiko

Sachiko Active Member

He's really important in a huge upcoming arc in the comics, I don't think they'll let that aside as it's really big so... He's more impressive than we've seen yet.

9. Zed Sanford

Zed Sanford Member

Ok...cool. I'll take your word for it then.

10. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

Let me bottom line this for everyone. Once Eugene secures his one-time backstage pass into the inner sanctum of hooking up with two lesbians, he won't be known as a "useful coward" any longer....

His eyes will glow arcing bolts of lightning! He will be able to force push zombies and all that oppose him! He will be impervious to bullets, knives, sticks, clubs, spears, arrows or any weapon used against him! He will bring order to chaos! IGN will rank Eugene #1 as the most awesome character ever thought of!!! So awesome, that his mullet will be ranked #2. Mark my words.

11. jujulita

jujulita Member

I agree with what you said. I don't really like cowardly type characters, yet I do like Eugene.
    Yes, I was annoyed to find out he was lying about the cure, but that was so obviously not true when you really took a moment to think about it I just couldn't stay mad for long.
    I also have the feeling he'll last a lot longer than your average wimp.

Go Eugene, you lying coward, you.

12. QuantumCurt

QuantumCurt Member

Eugene is one of my favorite characters. I've been guessing for a while now that Eugene was going to use his intelligence in some kind of big way to help the community out. Although I don't really have any guesses as to what exactly it might be, it seems like a logical plot point. In terms of academic intelligence, Eugene is pretty far ahead of most of the other characters. He's already demonstrated his ingenuity in several ways, but I'm sure there's more to come. Having these guesses confirmed by comic book readers makes it seem even more certain that he's going to play a big role.

13. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

I was reading posts in this thread and I just glanced at your name for a split second and I swear I thought your name said something else.... Let's just say.... if the "R" in your name were an "N".... what would it spell???? Maybe something very offensive.... OR, THEE most awesome user name ever!

I'm not sure at this point. What I am sure of, is that you can put the word Quantum in front of anything and it sounds insanely cool, right? Back me up here.

14. Kallyloo

Kallyloo Member

I love Eugene, possibly the only genius left after the ZA. Admittedly it took a few episodes to warm to him, but he's won me over. He's part McGyver part Labrador with his steadfast loyalty and puppy dog eyes. Targene forever.

Does Rick realise what an asset he is? I never see much interaction between them? I'm surprised he hasn't piped up more with suggestions whenever the group and AZs have had a council of war.

15. QuantumCurt

QuantumCurt Member

lol...It is a bit of a buzzword these days. Not to get all hipster, but I've had this screen name since before it was cool.

I'm a physicist, and my name is Curt, so it just worked well. I've been sticking with it for years.

16. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

Well I think it's amazing! Not quite as amazing as.... well, you know. But its the next best thing. I'm a big fan of physics myself. I gladly follow their laws every day of my life. Sure, I have no choice in that matter, but still...

Signed,
    Quantum Jama