Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Eugene Porter

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead TV Characters' started by legendx66, Jan 25, 2014.

1. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

With him being introduced in the second half of S4 It's time he got a thread here.
    Discuss away!

2. Z-Man

Z-Man Well-Known Member

I would be "Lying" if I said I liked him, but he will probably make himself useful somehow. On the other hand, he may just wind up being comic relief. It might be nice to see someone actually make me laugh at them in this show for all the right reasons.

3. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

He started out as my least favorite comic character but that's changed a lot recently.

4. Tony Davis

Tony Davis Administrator
    Staff Member

With what the group was told in TS-19, I wonder how this changes his story

5. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

I didn't care for his comic version either. Liars just don't get too far. He was lucky Abraham didn't boot him to the side of the road. But, if he didn't lie, then they would not have found the place they go to next.
    I have a feeling his tv version will be the same.

6. Z-Man

Z-Man Well-Known Member

He sure has grown on me since proving he had value above being a peeping-liar. I really wanted Rick to let Abe have at it.

7. Matt

Matt Member

IMO, out of everyone in the comics, he's easily had one of the most well-written arcs to date (starting out as an insecure and selfish slimeball with no place in the world only to gradually transform into an individual who's more emotionally mature, open to others, and has finally found a niche for himself). As pissed as I was by
    death I was at least glad that Kirkman decided to keep the former and allow him to develop further instead of offing both of them.

Really hoping McDermitt brings the role justice ;)

8. The1WhoKnocks

The1WhoKnocks Active Member

Like the comic version, I hope he sports a mullet.

9. Tony Davis

Tony Davis Administrator
    Staff Member

[h=2]The Walking Dead: Who Is Eugene?[/h] By: Russ Burlingame on February 16, 2014

[​IMG]This one here is a trick question, folks, because there are potential spoilers ahead…for anybody who reads AMC’s official materials on The Walking Dead‘s Eugene Porter.
    You see, in the comic book series, Eugene was introduced along with Abraham and Rosita in The Walking Dead #53–and he was presented in a particular way: he was a man who had some inside information into the source of the outbreak, and who had managed to get Abraham and Rosita on his side by giving them hope of a cure.
    As it turned out, down the line, he was full of crap. Eugene was a high school science teacher who had few marketable skills in the post-apocalyptic world and used a cover story about being a government agent in order to get aid and comfort from people more qualified for this lifestyle.

[​IMG]So how does AMC describe the character? “Nothing is known about Eugene’s life before or as the outbreak began, apart from that he ‘is very smart and is an experienced liar.’”
    It’s hard to say just why they might blow his secret so soon, except perhaps that Rick Grimes, having already spoken with the CDC in Season One, will immediately not believe Eugene. They’ve already seeded a couple of clues about the Alexandria Safe Zone, so perhaps in spite of finding him out as a liar right away, they’ll find themselves headed in that same basic direction without necessarily having to be fooled into a fruitless trip to Washington, D.C.
    Eugene has eventually made himself useful in the comics–most recently in a Walter White kind of way: he’s a guy who can make ammunition. That’s a useful skill as the apocalypse drags on–arguably more now on TV than in the comics, since the timeline is so much longer already on the live action series.
    In AMC’s The Walking Dead, Eugene will be played by Josh McDermitt, best known to audiences for his roles on Last Comic Standing Season Four and TV Land’s Retired at 35.

10. Tony Davis

Tony Davis Administrator
    Staff Member

11. Dead Fan 13

Dead Fan 13 Member

I'm not a big fan of the mullet look. His character in the comics is interesting, here is hoping he's just as interesting in the TV version.

12. Voncroy

Voncroy Member

Out of curiosity... Being Eugene blonde in the comics and Josh McDermitt strawberry blonde in real life (I actually think he is a natural redhead anyway), why is TV Eugene black-haired? The actor does look a lot like Eugene already, I just don't get the change of hair colour for no reason...

13. Z-Man

Z-Man Well-Known Member

I was wondering the same thing myself. It seems odd to change the hair color so much, since his natural color would have been closer. I have noticed a serious lack of blondes in the apocalypse, and lately on the show there is a lot of new people with dark hair being introduced while the tow-headed people are falling in droves. I hope Beth survives, just so that blonde hair will still be in the gene pool. Even Daryl's hair has gotten darker as the show goes on.

Maybe he found out that if you cover your hair with shoe polish, the walkers ignore you. :p
    I was happy to see him cradling the radio in the finale.

14. Voncroy

Voncroy Member

People have been asking for a redhead survivor for so long and, when we actually have the closest to a redhead actor we can get, they just change his natural hair colour to dark ---> TROLL! I really don't get it considering Eugene is blonde. On the side note, black hair doesn't really look bad on him. Being a natural black-haired with very fair skin person myself, I now feel represented in the show at least, even if it's just Eugene ah ah ah...

We still have a few blondes: Beth, Lizzie, Mika and now Abraham... but yeah it was rather a very pointless move from whoever is in charge about the character's looks...

15. Busted Flipflop

Ah, but the real question is this:

is the mullet real? Or is it an attachment?

They're some funky things hairstylists can do these days ...

16. swscully

swscully Member

Eugene... not a scientist. If he was eaten in the next episode, It wouldn't break my heart at all. It actually might help me respect the writers again, after wasting the third season on the governor.

17. Zvivor

Zvivor Well-Known Member

Ha, ha, ha. Good theory on the strange "mutation" of all new female characters into brunettes with medium to long length hair. I was blaming it on the a casting director who likes (really, really likes) brunettes. Or maybe its a side-effect of the zombie virus they are all infested with. Me -- I am still waiting to see whether, when Judith sheds her light baby locks, her toddler hair grows in curly and black ( like you know whose.)

18. ZASurvivor

ZASurvivor New Member

Simple witty observation here, but is it just me or does TV Eugene has similar mannerism to Sheldon from TBBT lol. Being (extremely) awkward with the gun and basically calling Abe an idiot , who is literally three of Eugene size wise, struck me as pretty comical.

19. mtito914

mtito914 Active Member

Having no knowledge of Eugene from the comics, my first impression is that he is very interesting... I really like the quirky characters... I don't know what he is up to but I have a feeling Eugene will lead to some pretty interesting storyline. I love his deadpan delivery.

20. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

http://okmagazine.com/meet-the-star...s-josh-mcdermitt-is-bringing-the-mullet-back/

XCLUSIVES Sun, Mar 9, 2014 | 15:08 PM
    COMMENTS: 1 SHARES: 40
    [h=1]OK! Exclusive: The Walking Dead's Josh McDermitt Is Bringing The Mullet Back[/h]

[​IMG]
    By Lea Palmieri Email me

Enjoys fine teas and boyband concerts.

[​IMG]
    AMC​

While we haven’t gotten to know Dr. Eugene Porter too well just yet on The Walking Dead, we certainly learned a lot about the actor who plays him. Josh McDermitttells us why the walkers have been giving him nightmares, that Norman Reedus is even sexier in person and why he’s hoping Eugene’s mullet starts a trend.
    OK!: Let’s start with the important stuff: the mullet. What was your first reaction when they told you “Oh by the way, your character has a mullet”?
    Josh McDermitt: I was really excited when they first told me I was going to get a mullet because it’s just so visually memorable. I’m a natural blonde and when they said they were going to dye it brown and turn it into a mullet I was like ” Oh sweet, this is going to be so memorable.” The last time I think we had a good mullet on TV was Uncle Jesse on Full House so I’m happy to bring that back.
    OK!: Are you afraid you’re going to be setting a trend for 2014?
    JM: Afraid? No I’m welcoming it, I want to help usher it in! I think there’s even a Twitter account for Eugene’s mullet now. It’s not affiliated with me but I sure hope it gets a lot of followers because it’s a sex symbol, it really is.
    Watch: The Walking Dead stars spill on what’s ahead this season
    OK!: What was your reaction when heard you would be auditioning for the show? You were already a big fan of The Walking Dead so were you freaking out?
    JM: I audition so much that I wasn’t necessarily freaking out. I audition for a lot of shows that I’m a fan of but never the biggest show that I love. So when it came down I was like, oh boy I better not screw this up or I won’t be able to watch it or watch someone else in the role that I audition for. It would totally take me out. So just for the sake of me enjoying the show I’m glad I booked it so I can continue to enjoy it. The audition came down and it was about a month-long process. There were several times I thought I didn’t get it and then I kept hearing from producers that they liked me and they wanted me to move on. And at that point I was trying to move on emotionally, thinking I’m not going to get it and then you don’t hear from it and it’s like let me pick up the pieces and they go, “No we love you!” And that was awesome. It’s an incredible validation not only as an actor but just as fan of the show and I was really nervous to step into this because it is such a memorable comic book character. I was nervous what the reaction might be if the fans are like “We hate this guy” or whatever but everybody’s been super awesome, so nice and supportive. This is a dream come true.
    [​IMG]
    RIKER BROTHERS​

OK!: What did they tell you about this character? Did they tell you how to play him and if he should be good, bad or a little sketchy?
    JM: I knew the back story of Eugene in the comics. They said because the comics and the TV show are different, they’re going to do a version of that. They also told me specifically, he’s not a bad guy, he’s odd, he’s weird. And there’s not really anything I need to do as an actor to make him weird, they just write him that way and it’s easy to play that. It’s all the writers. I can’t say how awesome the writing is and the direction they give me to go with this character because I’m really taking their lead on this. As big of a fan of the show and the comics as I am, they’re even bigger. It’s great to be able to rely on (creator) Robert Kirkman and Scott Gimple who’s running our show and know they have the best intentions for the show and for me and to know that they aren’t going to put me in a bad spot.
    OK!: Is there anything Eugene does in the books that you would love to do on the show?
    JM: (laughs) There’s one thing and I haven’t told Scott Gimple this yet, but there’s one scene where Eugene bites a guy in his crotch and for some reason I want to do that so bad, I just think it would be awesome TV. Eugene is just sitting there and he’s being held hostage and he just bites a guy right in his leg, right in his groin and I just go, oh my gosh that would be so memorable. People will finally stop talking about the mullet and start talking about that instead! (laughs) If I could do that, my career will be set forever. There will definitely be a Twitter account related to Eugene’s crotch biting.