Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Eugene ;/

Discussion in 'Episode 715 - Something They Need' started by Neuropyramidal, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Did he do the right thing? Giving Sasha her suicide pills?

And on a grander picture, is his reasoning for staying at the Sanctuary a valid form of survival? Or is it a self centered abandonment of his friends, coward style?

2. bula412

bula412 Well-Known Member

Definitely abandoning his people. Super cowardly. Definitely something you might expect from Eugene

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Weallgotit

Weallgotit Well-Known Member

From day one of the ZA Eugene has been all about saving Eugene's own hide. Its why he fed Abe the DC lie. When we were in live reaction we all knew he would give her the pill instead of a weapon. Yep it looks like he did turn his back on his people to save his own ass. And he wants Sasha to join him.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

I think he thought he was doing the right thing in giving Sasha the pills. She was claiming that she wanted to sacrifice herself for the good of the group, and though he isn't able to be as brave as that himself, he's willing to help Sasha be. He is putting himself at risk in doing so, because if Negan finds out he gave them to her and actually made them in the first place, he's kinda screwed.

In terms of abandoning his friends, yes, he did, but he hasn't turned on them. He just realizes he isn't capable of living as they do any longer. He has the capacity for short bursts of bravery -- I'm thinking specifically of how he saved Tara in "Spend" -- but it's hard for him. And he recently witnessed two of the bravest people he knows get their heads bashed in. Where did their bravery get them? His decision to join with Negan was a pragmatic one. It will be interesting, though, to see what will happen when the Saviors and Rick's group eventually clash and he's forced to join in the fight.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mr. DTM

Mr. DTM New Member

I think that the pill Eugene gave Sasha will only make her sick - Sasha, if she dies, will go out fighting !

6. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Or go out

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. OaklandBorn

OaklandBorn Member

I really don't want her to but if she does

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

We all want team family to stick together and kick ass all the time, but it would be completely out of character for Eugene to suddenly go all Rambo on Negan or defy him like Daryl did. Eugene is adapting to the circumstances in his way. He's always been the cowardly lion of the bunch, but I think if he ends up back at Alexandria he'll get a chance to show his own unique strengths which he was beginning to do with the plan to make ammunition, and which negan is allowing him to do.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Duce000

Duce000 Active Member

He definitely has abandoned his friends. But that's who he is. I won't say his reasoning is valid but it's not surprising coming from him.

I think he actually made the right choice based on what he beloved with giving Sasha the pills. He thought she really just wanted to kill herself. The pills in his mind could be a painless way for her to do that and the lowest chance of him getting caught giving them to her since negan doesn't know they exist. He did mention he wasn't fully sure it would be painless

10. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

I found Eugene's attitude disappointing. Everyone has been scared shitless at one time or another, or even all the time since the ZA began. By now most people have learned to harness their fears i.e. Fr. Gabe.

All I can say is that Eugene knows himself, or so he thinks. This is his fall back position, letting someone "brave" take care of him. He thinks he'll never have to fear again. For a smart man,
    he should know better.

He actually has more courage than he realizes. Giving Sasha a poison pill when he knew Negan wanted her to join his troops took guts. He probably thought that no one would figure out how she died but then again the plastic bag would be a giveaway clue that it wasn't by natural causes. I wonder if he keeps one pill for himself to use in the event Negan should turn on him.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

Eugene is bugging me again. His mullet is the only thing he has going for him now.

His mullet should leave him and find another head to sit on.

12. Steppin' Razor

Does anyone else think Sasha looked disappointed when she saw he gave her a pill? Is it just me? Or was that obvious?

13. M3O

M3O Member

She's supposed to be disappointed, yes. She wanted something she could use to kill Negan.

This kill pill though? How would she get him to consume it?

Sasha sad.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Steppin' Razor

Ok, making sure I read that right lol

15. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

It was obvious. She tried to play him, tried to play the sympathy card and hoped that he would go with one of her token suggestions (a knife, broken glass, etc). Instead Eugene and his big brain came up with a more practical solution for her "problem". lol

In a weird way he was too stupid, or maybe naive to know she was playing him, but obviously that backfired on her.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Steppin' Razor

BUT ALSO, I thought when she had the big ass knife to herself after Negan left her, shoulda waited by the door and pounced on whoever opened it. Negan with a bat, in those close quarters would have NO time to react.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. NoMora

NoMora Active Member

Very disappointing and not a bit plausible.
    If there isn't something else behind it and Eugene does not have a secret plan, this epsiode took all the credibility off its own way of portaying this character.
    Because he didn't only abandon his friends, which would be at least a bit comprehensible. He downright betrayed them.
    Sasha made clear again that sooner or later, Negan would use her to hurt her friends, something which Eugene is very well aware of, he knows that Negan is doing it already by having Eugene helping him.
    So Eugene doesn't seem to care too much about helping the terrorists hurting the ones who trusted him and took him in even after his lies.
    That makes him a traitor and it's far beyond just being a coward - which he actually wasn't anymore.

This change of heart doesn't make sense at all, despite his try to explain it to Sasha.
    Yes, he saw two of his bravest friends being smashed to pulp, but he also saw with his own eyes the doctor being burnt alive, someone who was "Negan" and who belonged to the Saviors.
    Him believing that he is safe with Negan is just bullshit and too stupid for a clever person. Not even a child would ever think that.

Being a "hero" doesn't mean to jump over tables, kick 6 men in the face, make a forward roll and perform a "Kiss of the Dragon" into Negan's neck while at the same time smoking a cigar.
    Being a hero in a situation he is in would mean to slowly work on something to take out Negan the sneaky way, to play the loyal member and wait for an opportunity to weaken the Saviors from the inside.
    Since he is there already and since he s obviously in a somewhat trustable position he doesn't need to "be Negan", it would be enough to simply play the game in order to survive.

This is so annoying. He didn't even have to go through Negan's sick game of breaking people, and I just can't accept that he is actually worse than Dwight.
    No, makes no sense.

• Like Like x 3
  18. bassetluv

bassetluv Active Member

I think it's like this: Either Eugene is telling the truth and he has taken on the role of a Negan simply to survive (very plausible) or he does still have a plan of some sort (after last night's episode, not as plausible, but still possible). Perhaps he doesn't want any of his friends to know about it so they won't be implicated in some way if it goes wrong. Perhaps in his mind, if he does have a plan to take down Negan, the only way to keep it safe is to have absolutely everyone convinced that he is with Negan.

Last night's show certainly implied that this was nothing of the sort; that Eugene, is, in fact, being Eugene. He's been beyond terrified. He knows that he's not strong, so he survives by doing whatever it takes, even if it means changing sides and abandoning his group. Of course the viewing audience (those who have liked Eugene's persona) would be incredibly upset and disappointed if this was the case...but it just might be.

Myself? I'm still holding out hope that Eugene is holding something back...something big. And that he will act upon it when the time is right. That, of course, is wishful thinking, since I find Eugene to be my favourite of all the group members, just because of his quirky personality and offbeat, descriptive way with words. My fear is that the writers have decided to keep him true to his "more terrified than a horse in a glue factory" ways, and that at the end of the season he will be disposed of, either because of his fears, or because he takes one last stab at trying to help and is sacrificed. I really do hope this isn't the case; if they get rid of Eugene, I think they will be getting rid of a much-needed sense of comic relief, as well as an incredible actor in Josh McDermitt.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. Sully

Sully Active Member

Actually a child would think Negan is ok. It's called splitting, a very common coping method. You either think someone is good or bad, there's no in between. Negan gives them shelter and provides resources, therefor he must be good and the people who defy him are bad so they get punished. Very childlike behavior but it's a way people cope in situations like this.

20. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

I think he knows, and it's mimicking the situation with Negan's wives...he didn't give them the pills and he didn't give Sasha the weapons. He doesn't want them disturbing the peace that he delusionally thinks he has right now. Plus, like he told Sasha, he tried to be brave (with the RV) and he ended up witnessing 2 of the bravest survivors get killed - then he made the bullet for Rosita and witnessed more deaths. So he's gripped by fear and the idea that if he helps someone else go against Negan he'll witness more deaths and possibly die himself.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2