Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Eugene ;/

Discussion in 'Episode 715 - Something They Need' started by Neuropyramidal, Mar 26, 2017.

1. NoMora

NoMora Active Member

Splitting is a psychological disorder.
    Children have morals at the age of 3 already, babies have empathy at the age of 18 months already.
    A child who can't differ between good or seemingly good is either too young, has not experienced "bad" behaviour in the person in question or is incapable due to whatever reason in the later childhood.
    If a child had witnessed what Negan did they would not feel safe with him afterwards, depending on the age.

Eugene isn't a child and he is not stupid.
    It can't even be Stockholm syndrome since he saw at least three times what Negan did to people, two friends of his among them.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Not exactly. Splitting is a fault in ones thinking, and can be a symptom OF certain psychological disorders [although it doesn't always have to exist as part of a recognized disorder], such as Borderline Personality Disorder, but it is not in and of itself a 'psychological disorder'. Its just a fault in a thinking process, and yes, it is a common defense mechanism.

Eugene's behavior is actually in line with what we've seen with him previously. He can be a coward to who self preserves, even to the point of putting those around him in danger. We've seen it on more than one occasion: putting glass in the fuel line of the bus [he didn't deliberately mean for it to flip, but still, just sabotaging the bus to leave them stranded somewhere put them in danger. Same with shooting out the gas tank of the military truck.

This isn't about Stockholm syndrome, its about someone self preserving, even to the point of abandoning or disregarding those around him, and in some cases even indirectly putting those around him in danger. It fits with his character.

#22 Neuropyramidal, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  3. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

Your post got me thinking. If Eugene does have an elaborate plan to kill Negan ,why give Sasha the poison? I would assume Eugenes plan isnt a suicide mission for him and that he thinks conditions will somehow get better after he kills Negan. Therefore, there could be an improvement in Sashas situation with even possibility of release/escape after Negans death. I too was hoping he had a plan but I cant imagine what it could be or what he figured the endgame would be. Also Eugene didnt give the poison to Negans wives when he figured they were going to poison Negan. That would have been a perfect chance.

#23 JEA13, Mar 27, 2017
  4. 92Pony

92Pony Active Member

Unless, could Eugene be cold enough to allow Sasha to off herself? In doing so, Eugene is helping do exactly what Sasha said - keep Negan from using her to harm the rest of the 'family'?? If Eugene has seen that she was already on a suicide mission, he could be protecting those outside by letting Sasha die (being that he believed her story). Maybe too twisted and deep, but a thought.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gordian Knot

Gordian Knot Member

I for one do not believe Eugene has a secret grand plan to pretend to go along until - until what? He isn't going to kill Negan. He wouldn't even give the girls the pills because he knew if they failed, Negan would know who most likely made them.

It's too simplistic to call Eugene a coward. We all know his MO from the very beginning is to put himself with someone he believes can keep him safe. Negan has given him that as he has never had it before. In his ultra 'logical' mind he is going to give his allegiance to who can best protect him. Right now that is Negan. Everything he has done since Negan took him is completely in character for Eugene. Doesn't make him evil. Makes him all too human.

6. Spidey

Spidey Active Member

Yeah after he gave her that pill, I decided he doesn't have a plan. What a pity.

Also even if Eugene is playing nice to the saviors doesn't mean he wouldn't support Alexandria when the time came. He's just doing what it takes not to get tortured and killed.

• Like Like x 1
  7. NoMora

NoMora Active Member

We weren't talking about splitting in terms of distinguishing or be mistaken due to naivety (when falling in love, for example) but about editing out important parts of a person's personality up to a point of delusion.
    Splitting a person or a group into only good and bad without anything inbetween is a psychological disorder in adults.

That was before the truth came out.
    Ever since then, Eugene was genuine, helpful and even brave on some occasions, especially when he endangered himself by driving the truck when the Saviors blocked the roads and by admitting to Negan that he made the bullet. He did it to save Tara and was aware that he might be killed on the spot for that.
    He also took on a walker alone and didn't want Abe's help.

Plus, it's a difference to do a stupid thing like delaying the mission due to being afraid that the truth might come out, and betraying his friends by working with and helping the very person who killed his friends and terrorises them, as well as himself, Negan's own group and others.

No, it doesn't. If ever, the show should have provided a change in his perception and attitude before he was kidnapped to let the viewers know that something changes in him.
    The way it happened now the show disregarded his character progress completely.
    Which is the reason why many still don't/can't believe that he has really accepted his new "leader".

As I said, it's not only about abandoning his friends or disregarding what's happening around him but about actively helping his arch enemy hurting his friends and innocents.
    Had he just joined another leader whom he regards as being a better one, okay. Sad but credible.
    But here he joined a group that brought nothing pain upon him and everyone else.
    In order to do that he would have to completely and fully forget about what happened and about his despise for Negan and for what he did.
    This is impossible for a sane person, especially for a softer character like Eugene.

By the way, this is what you wrote in a previous post:

"I personally doubt they are going in that direction with Eugene. I think in the end, as we move into and possibly beyond All Out War, they are going to aim for Eugene to ultimately remain a likable character. They will probably spin it in a way that tells us Eugene was playing it safe at the Sanctuary for awhile, and got caught up in the respect and power for awhile, but that when it comes time to him to make a real decision, he'll do the right thing. I think he'll be back with Rick's group, perhaps by mid S8 if not a lot sooner, after having done something heroic, and will remain in good standing with the group."

8. Neuropyramidal

Nor was I.

No its not. Its a process of faulty thinking, and can be a symptom OF a recognized psychological disorder such as Borderline, but its not in itself a psychological disorder, and is a common unhealthy defense mechanism.

It doesn't matter if it was before the truth came out. He is self preserving in each case for different reasons. He was genuine and had short bursts of bravery in between, but as someone else pointed out, that doesn't preclude him from reverting back to his self preservative ways once he's put in certain new situations.

In both instances he put his friends in danger. As explained above. You could argue they exist on a continuum, with one more extreme than the other, but its the same mechanism.

As in real life, as you probably well know if you are familiar with human psychology, progress isn't always [or even usually] linear. To view Eugene's progress in such simple terms would be a mistake. Often people revert back to old habits when faced with new obstacles and fears. Which is part of what Eugene is doing now.

In addition to that, he is taking advantage of his new found position of authority, while he self preserves. Like Gravy on a stud muffin. This also fits with his personality at previous times, as he seems to get a fix from people seeing him as mentally superior.

Yeah, and? Thats probably what will happen. None of that changes. Eugene has reverted back to his self preservation mode now, but will ultimately likely redeem himself and remain a likable character in some heroic way. That's my guess anyway.

#28 Neuropyramidal, Mar 27, 2017
  9. IlsaMarx

IlsaMarx New Member

Eugene is likeable and can slither his way into any group or setting. He plays his cards well. Like others have said he is about self perserving. I don't think he has betrayed his friends. Eugene really doesn't have a choice. If he rebels then he can die, get someone else killed, or the iron. He doesn't know about Rick's plan. He is really not capable of escaping. He can't even really kill anything. He was treated really well for being taken and Sasha is being held in a small dark room. Eugene is still playing Negan and everyone else. That's what he does well. He did tell Sasha and Rosita to leave. Even though he had an oppurtunity to escape. He was crying and really scared. He couldn't just escape. That means he would be on the run and hiding. He would not be in Negan's good graces and that is a really bad thing. Plus he has probably overheard things about Daryl and his escape along what they do to the captured. Eugene doesn't want anyone hurt.

I think he thought he did the right thing. He knows that it won't be easy for Sasha and he thinks she wants the easy way out. He might be thinking that Negan will probably want her for a wife. The one wife with big lady nuts. lol! He knows Sasha and knows she will be miserable. It also shows that he is still her friend.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Neuropyramidal

Exactly. And I think in the end, when the nail comes down to the tit mouse, or whatever that old saying is, he will do ultimately do the right thing. Whether it happens in next week's episode is less certain. But I think it will happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. NoMora

NoMora Active Member

This defense machnism is a mental disorder. One falls back into the early childhood phase where the child was unable to fully comprehend and think beyond the black & white-pattern. And it doesn't matter if it's only temporarily or permanent or a repeating occurence for that matter.
    It's a disorder that doesn't occure in mentally stable people.
    You describe it as being the most normal reaction to shocking or unbearable situations, which is not.

The thing is, in this case Eugene is not just reverting back to old habits.
    In order to do just that he would simply play the game and just pretend to "be Negan". Secret plan or not aside - everyone would immediately understand if Eugene would just be so scared and therefore revert back to old patterns of behaviour by simply playing the trustable new member.
    No problem at all, I guess most people in real life would do that.

But what you have ignored in my previous post explaines that it's not about reverting back into old habits (given/in case that he has no secret plan but has switched sides). Let me paste and copy it here:

"As I said, it's not only about abandoning his friends or disregarding what's happening around him but about actively helping his arch enemy hurting his friends and innocents.
    Had he just joined another leader whom he regards as being a better one, okay. Sad but credible.
    But here he joined a group that brought nothing but pain upon him and everyone else.
    In order to do that he would have to completely and fully forget about what happened and about his despise for Negan and for what he did.
    This is impossible for a sane person, especially for a softer character like Eugene."

That's the difference.
    This character twist is what makes it unbelievable, what takes away all credibility and doesn't fit his character at all.
    Lying to others in order to get help is a whole different thing than joining your enemies and be willing to hurt your loved ones/family/friends/innocents.
    Had he done it before, willingly harming others because Rick wanted it, without hesitation and despite Rick or Abe having done the most unimaginable and terrible things to his friends and to him - alright.
    But that's not the case, that didn't happen and that is not the Eugene we have been introduced to.

Yes, it does. Because he was even willing to sacrifice himself which even most of the bravest people can't say about themselves. Such a thing doesn't change with a snap of a finger into actively helping a monster harming, torturing and killing others, let alone his friends.

No, it's not. If you stole an Iphone or a car or money or watever it doesn't mean that you would also kill somebody, help others torture your friend or start a war or whatever.
    There are differences and there are tabus.
    Lying to others doesn't mean to also backstab them. Eugene was a liar but he never was portrayed as a sneaky traitor, and that's the point.

What you've posted before would make Eugene a traitor on all sides.
    I forgot to write that sentence when I quoted you.

12. Neuropyramidal

No, its still not. It can be a symptom OF a psychological disorder, but its not a psychological disorder taken by itself. You have your terminology a bit mixed up.

Not at all. First, he didn't go willingly to join the Sanctuary. He was physically brought there, and then preserved himself with whatever method he could once there. That's what his self preservation is about: Adapting to whatever situation he is forced into. Second, he wouldn't have to forget about what happened with Negan at all. In fact, just the opposite. It is his acute memory of those events that ignite his new fears, and re-ignited his new reversion back to his self preservation mode. Even at the expense of abandoning his friends. This fits exactly what we know of Eugene, just in a new situation. In the past he has feared walkers, and feared the discovery of his lie, and he protected himself from that in whatever way he could given the situation.

Now he fears being lined up and possibly killed by Negan again, and he is again protecting himself in whatever way he can, even if it means abandoning his friends. Just like he did it previously, even if it meant stranding his friends on the road, thus putting them in danger.

Stealing a car doesn't mean you'd also kill someone, but it doesn't mean you would NOT kill someone either, if you felt you had to to survive. Again, Eugene is now in a new situation: He didn't ask to be taken to the saviors, he was brought there, and has evolved a way to self presereve there. TWICE before he deliberately stranded his friends on the road, and now he is deliberately working at the enemy's base, keeping himself alive. This is one of the points you are missing.

#32 Neuropyramidal, Mar 27, 2017
  13. Goggles Pizano

Of course he did the right thing.....

I'm a huge Star Trek fan....

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. bassetluv

bassetluv Active Member

I don't think Eugene intends on killing Negan; he knows that he'd fail at the attempt and would wind up being brutally killed. I'm not sure if he gave Sasha one pill or both - I'd have to go back and rewatch - but if he only gave her one, then that still leaves him with another. I suspect if he ever really intended on using one of those pills, it would be for himself. Eugene never gave the pills to the women who requested it because he recognized that they were lying to him...they had fed him a story that one of them was suicidal and wanted an 'out', so they asked for something that would help her. When Eugene realized that this was all an elaborate story he obviously didn't hand over the pills as they could have (a) been setting him up, or (b) their attempt to kill Negan would have failed and the pills would have been traced back to him. This would have meant instant death for Eugene.

One thing that briefly crossed my mind too, is whether the pill he gave to Sasha was, in fact, the poison pill that he originally made. While (again) most improbable, it's possible that the pill he gave her was something else...maybe he concocted a dose of something to cause Sasha to pass out or even come close to death, but not quite kill her. [However...even I don't really believe the writers would go that route, since Sonequa Martin is leaving the show anyway. So this is just an "out there" suggestion.] The most likely scenario is that Eugene was being truthful in that scene, and felt that Sasha was 'already gone' so gave her the opportunity for an out. He still sympathizes for everyone in his group, doesn't want any more suffering for anyone, but he's in a catch-22 situation. He can't escape, and he's too fearful to try. My one hope is that he will wind up inadvertently helping with Negan's downfall because of his newly-acquired knowledge of Negan's group (whatever he notices in his surroundings...he is very observant), as I don't want to see them kill off his character. It's just disappointing to see the writers revert him to a terrified, quivering mess - even though it does tend to portray real human behaviour - as they were beginning to show Eugene in a braver light. He was even almost growing "beachball-sized lady nuts" just prior to their capture by Negan.

Well, almost.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Negan-Loyalist

Negan-Loyalist New Member

Eugene is loyal to Negan

King Negan has given Eugene's life a new meaning

Eugene finally will not be bullied and ridiculed

16. Sixfootbrunette

I used to love Eugene. The way he kind of grew and started being a somebody. Now he is just another Negan. A cowardly one at that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like Like x 1
  17. Zvivor

Zvivor Well-Known Member

Eugene is a coward. He has never claimed to be anything else. ASZ , including but not limited to Abe and Rosita, mis-treated him terribly and failed to use his smarts. When he says he is a Neganite, free of fear for the first time in the ZA, he means it. He is not going to trade that for some loyalty to the dead Abe who saved him when he was running for his life; or Rosita who abused him, or for an ASZ who had no use for, or appreciation of him. The furthest he would go is to help Sasha kill herself and that is it.

It is a terrible waste, but Eugene is going to die -- likely at Negan's hands because he foolishly failed to understand there is no such thing as loyalty in Negan's world view.

18. Neuropyramidal

He is being true to his coward self, for sure, but I don't think his fate ends with the saviors. I think he'll break free of this during the war, and end up back at ASZ. His story isn't over, I don't think.

19. NoMora

NoMora Active Member

I didn't say that.

But it's not just about him protecting himself. As I posted before, that would be understandable. Playing the sick little game as long as necessary in order to not get killed, sure.

It's about him (presumably or seemingly, time will tell) switching sides in terms of "being Negan" and accepting helping to harm and/or even kill his friends, hell, even having a good time being in charge.
    That would make him one of the biggest selfisch a**holes being around in the ZA.
    And in order to do that he would have indeed to forget about who Negan is and what he did to Abe, Glenn, the rest of his friends and all the other groups, plus Dr. Carson right in fron of his eyes.
    He would have to remember that in order to keep his head down and to play safe. But not in order to betray his friends and harming them.
    He proved that by telling Sasha,

"Being here means I'll never have to (be afraid) again."

This gives a clear view on his will to switch sides to the fullest (assuming that he doesn't have a secret plan), which is not credible for someone like him.
    Sasha reminded him of Negan using her to hurt their friends, and Eugene is fully aware that he has already signed up to that.
    This is not just playing safe, this is backstabbing and betraying his friends and/or innocents who suffer from Negan's terror.

He told Sasha that she has proven herself being honest, self-aware and brave and that he owes her.
    Which means that he still has feelings for his old friends/companions and doesn't hold a grudge against them (and for what actually?)
    Still he wants to help Negan against them, and this is active help

Being disappointed that he obviously is not planning on fighting Negan is one thing.
    But just accepting that he has chosen Negan to be his new hero and by that going against his friends is another, and just unacceptable. I would expect that from someone like Dwight, for example, had things been different with him, but not from Eugene.

Making Eugene such a traitor and changing him from a soft character to a newborn fighter for the dark side would be like changing Negan from the monster he is into a kind and decent person who is passionate about helping those in need all of a sudden.

That would be self defense or the thought of self-defense. We're not talking about self-defense.
    Eugene has nothing to fear from Rick.
    He has to fear Negan and bowing to him in order to survive does not mean to fully accept what Negan does and to follow him willingly.

Staying by the above example of stealing cars, Eugene has not been described as the "thief who would also kill if necessary" but as the "thief who would rather hide and even turn himelf in in order to save others".

No, I'm not missing the point, just as described above.
    There are different types of cowards. Those who are afraid of doing anything and those who opportunistically switch sides and even harm those who saved them before.
    If ever, Eugene would rather belong to the first example of cowards. And I still can't see the credibility in his change from having evolved into a brave person who is there for his friends into a traitor who is ready to kill them.
    Just no.

20. Neuropyramidal

None of that changes the fact that Eugene is being good ole predictable Eugene. He was thrust unwillingly into a new situation and he is once again self preserving, even at the expense of abandoning his team.

#40 Neuropyramidal, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017