Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Eugene

Discussion in 'Episode 808 - How It's Gotta Be' started by JEA13, Dec 11, 2017.

1. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

I am glad Eugene came to his senses and helped father Gabriel. Now I am not rooting for him to be killed off.
    I am wondering if he is staying with Negan's group not just out of fear and increased survival odds for himself but to be in a position to better help the worker saviors (coerced labor) who are under Negan's thumb.

2. batongal

batongal Active Member

Not feeling him at all, hope Rosita gives him a beatdown.

3. Daryl Rocks

Daryl Rocks Well-Known Member

He feels massive guilt and he should. I hope he is staying to be a game changer.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Terminator

Terminator Well-Known Member

Now that Carl looks like the big surprise death does anyone think Eugene gets it in the second half? I can't see him being taken back by Rick's group now that Dwight told them it was Eugene that got them out of the Sanctuary. Perhaps he does something heroic to help Rick's people and dies in the process??? Thoughts on his future?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

I agree - the fact that helping Father Gabriel makes him sleep better at night shows us that he knows it's the right thing to do, and what he really wants to do. He also didn't rat Dwight out, which to me says a lot.

As for staying at the Sanctuary, I think he's still operating out of fear. I do also think part of him doesn't think he deserves to go back to his family and he thinks staying at the Sanctuary is the life he now deserves.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

I thought Daryl was told it was Eugene who got the bad guys out, easing Daryl's mind that it might have been his fault, and putting Eugene in more jeopardy. The things I miss....

• Like Like x 1
  7. Reflexx

Reflexx Member

The way Dwight hesitated when he said it was Eugene that got them out... I got the impression that it was Eugene's idea that got them out, but it was still a direct result of Daryl's actions.

8. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

Same here...I think the garbage truck provided an expedited escape, where they may have taken a little longer before and Rick, Maggie, etc. would have showed up before that happened.

...but did Dwight even know Daryl did that? It veered from the plan so I can't remember if Dwight saw it happen or what.

9. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I think we are actually setting up for Eugene to be forgiven for that exact reason. With Carl's death [while helping Siddiq], Rick is going to change his mindset and realize that mercy, and allowing people live, when possible, are important in this world. So he will understand and empathize with Eugene's act of saving the Saviors. And Rick himself will decide to let most of them live. I think Eugene will rejoin the group and go on to be an important member of post-war Alexandria.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. Mother dick

Mother dick Member

This.

It would be fitting if he eventually does something heroic, but is killed before word of his good deeds reaches others. Especially if he's killed by someone from his former group.

11. Terminator

Terminator Well-Known Member

So Rick's going to go all Morgan with the "all life is precious" crap. Been there, done that. Nothing is obvious with this show, so he may become part of the group again, but based on what we know as now, it wouldn't happen. IMO

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Neuropyramidal

Chandler already eluded to this being a reason for his death. But he won't go to the extremes of Morgan.

13. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

Simon said the same thing, that Eugene figured out a solution. If it was a result of what Daryl did, I think Simon would have taken that opportunity to throw Daryl under the bus.

I think they used the gun powder to make bombs to blow a path through the walkers. That is why Negan told Eugene they would need to resupply their ammo. Also why they used bombs in Alexandria instead of shooting their way in.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

I got the feeling he liked Eugene so he was sorry to deliver the dismal news.

15. Neuropyramidal

Eugene no comprehendie de alcohol......

No wonder he couldn't sleep. He was doing little shot glasses of WINE, as if they were hard liquor, lol. He got up at midnight, did ONE shot of wine, not a full glass, just a shot, and then tried to sleep again. So he figured he could get some sleep if he helped Gabarson escape. Just think, if Eugene would have been drinking vodka, or whiskey, he may not have needed to help them :p

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Jag

Jag Well-Known Member

If He got hold of Simon's tequila he may not have wanted to sleep;):cool::po_O

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Neuropyramidal

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. BetterAngel

BetterAngel Active Member

@Neuropyramidal I get what you are saying and can see things totally playing out that way. Buuuuut, can Eugene really ever be trusted? He always has an angle to ultimately just protect himself, despite struggling with making the right moral choices. How many times can he do something so damning, then do something that helps the group and low and behold he is forgiven? I feel like he will never totally be on anyone's side, he'll switch and turn and go to whoever he feels can keep him the safest. And I also believe he really wants to believe what Negan tells him, about how valuable he is, since he knows he doesn't really help out with fighting and protecting and things like that. I think that partly keeps him at the Sanctuary, you think?

19. Neuropyramidal

I think he could be trusted again, as long as he is accepted for what he is. A person who just calculates to self preserve. Those calculations combined with his resourcefulness, make him an asset when he lives with your group. Because keeping himself alive means keeping the community alive and safe.

Eugene had the somewhat unlikely misfortune of being kidnapped and ending up at the Sanctuary by force. So, once there, he reassessed the situation and did what he had to to survive. But I don't believe he would have stepped out of the crowd when Negan was visiting and said "take me with you". Because going to a new place would be largely an unknown, and unknowns are not the friend of self preservation.

So unless Eugene once again got put in a situation where he was kidnapped or ended up inside another community by force, he would use his ingenuity to keep his own community safe.

Having said that, if another enemy group cropped up, it would be best to keep an eye on Eugene and make sure he wasn't intermingling with them too much. But I think his usefulness is worth taking him back.

20. BetterAngel

BetterAngel Active Member

Good points. I just don't know if he really is loyal to Negan and the Saviors, or if he'd want to go back to Rick's group (any of them) if a situation arises where he must choose. I hate that Eugene does this! He does have a lot of knowledge that makes him really quite valuable, though his cowardice often supercedes his ability to make the right moral choices. He's too afraid of walkers, bad people, death...everything!