Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Eugene's bullet factory

Discussion in 'Episode 614 - Twice as Far' started by mfinley, Mar 20, 2016.

1. mfinley

mfinley Member

So Eugene is going to start making ammo in his new bullet factory. What exactly does he need a factory for? I guess the idea is he is going to have to have one to melt lead to make the bullets? The walking dead writers should do just a little bit of research, most reloaders do so in their garage or basement using no more space than a work bench, rarely would any reloader make their own bullets but to do so wouldn't take much more room than a crucible and a mini forge, just like an amateur gold miner is capable of doing in their garage. Biggest suspending of disbelief will involve the problem of primers. Eugene isn't going to manufacture primers and without them he can't make ammo. If they carry forward with this I guess he will be making his own gun powder too? Possible but not really realistic, pretty complicated and would eventually lead to the place blowing up and killing him sooner or later. Foraging for the raw materials to make gun powder would likely be harder than simply finding stashes of gun powder in a reloader's basement.

2. asdf

asdf Member

I know next to nothing about making bullets and even I kinda got the gist of how ludicrous the idea is. To find the raw material is a crazy task. To make the proper encasing so that there is proper trajectory for the fragment itself, ditto. And most importantly, not have the powder blow your gun up along with your hand is also in issue.

You need a certain level of expertise, not a just smarty pants MacGuyver-type, cause even he couldn't pull it off.

3. Expat-N-America

Expat-N-America Active Member

Yes, its part of the comics that Eugene makes ammo. This comes in handy later....

4. asdf

asdf Member

You forgot to put that in the spoiler as well, but I don't care that much.

5. Expat-N-America

But I can see how the logistics would annoy some people who have knowledge of what it entails! Im clueless about this stuff, so, eh, I just roll with it. I thought, when it finally happened that someone thought to make ammo...well, duh! Finally!

#5 Expat-N-America, Mar 20, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  6. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

You realize that this is a show where Glocks have safeties and hammers, people frequently use guns with no sights-- notably Daryl's iconic crossbow, rotten corpses are more bulletproof cover than ten inches of titanium, and oh, dead corpses walk around and attack people.

7. Expat-N-America

Yah for some things you gotta suspend just a tad of belief, lol.

8. mfinley

mfinley Member

Very true.

9. Flindo

Flindo New Member

deleted because this sounded kind of rude

10. 8307c4

8307c4 Well-Known Member

Yah but I'm thinking the entire factory bit was just sideshow so that Eugene could show Abe his new nuts.
    That and the lead-covered walker was kinda hawt.

11. Lori Grimes

Lori Grimes Active Member

Having it at another location and that big etc allows for possible problems getting to and from the place and gives potential hiccups in storylines...

12. sam12six

sam12six Member

That particular zombie was hoping to be king and sold his sister to some primitives to fund the campaign. His sister, though, wasn't particularly pretty and he could only ask for lead instead of gold. After smarting off to the primitive king, the lead was melted and poured over his head. I believe they referred to the act as putting the dragon to sleep.

------

As far as the ammo factory, I'm with everyone else who says it's silly. I've said from the beginning of the series that if you wanted .22LR, .223 or 12 gauge ammo, you could scrounge in homes for a few days anywhere in rural Georgia and find approximately infinity ammo.

If you wanted to make your own, a quick raid of a couple of sporting goods stores or gun shops and you'd have enough primers, powder and reloading kits to last years. Throw in a trip to the closest fishing supply place for as much lead as you feel like carrying and ammo is not an issue. Of course, everyone else in the land (outside the Alexandrians) seem far more intelligent and organized than Rick & Co., so another group may have taken all the reloading supplies.

13. JFAN

JFAN Member

I thought the same thing; too far from to go, too much could happen.

I could see maybe taking some equipment from there back to Alexandria, but other than that no need to set shop there. I have had several friends that use to make there own ammo as a hobby and they used only a very small portion of there workshops.

14. JFAN

JFAN Member

15. br0k3n

br0k3n Member

Dittos to the reloading conversation.

Keep Daryl and Carol away from it while smoking.

16. sam12six

sam12six Member

I don't know. My instinctive thought is also that everyone knows about reloading and would have taken supplies long ago. That said, apparently the show's writers don't know about it or they wouldn't think Eugene's industrial bullet factory would make sense.

Once you'd burned through the infinity ammo you scavenged from a bunch of random houses and you wanted to DIY your firearms, I'd imagine black powder rifles would be the way to go. They'd suck for warfare compared to the fully automatics the guys are using to spray hundreds of rounds in random directions now, but with a trip to the library to find out how to make powder and caps, you'd be more-or-less self sufficient. I imagine you actually would need some special factory to make modern primers.

Anyway, it's disappointing (but not surprising) that they came up with such a silly plan to make ammo. After all, they must all be developing inferiority complexes with each new group they encounter. Even the useless Alexandrians had built a zombie proof wall. Looking back at their chain link fence with 2X4s leaned against it, they must surely be realizing what idiots they are.

17. JFAN

JFAN Member

I think these writers aren't really familiar with rural life. Reminds me how when the group was in GA why didn't they have the group use local resources like the pecan groves and peach orchards for food. Those would have kept producing without humans to tend them. Even GA's peanut fields would have kept reproducing somewhat from old peanuts left in the field.

18. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

I still believe Eugene knows the cure.

19. Z-Man

Z-Man Well-Known Member

Silly or not, a similar place was settled in the comics. I think the writers are just trying to make sure that they keep as close to source as possible. There is likely a cache of primers and powder on site for getting started, maybe even some casings (And hey! smelt down that metal-headed walker for some early raw materials.. ;p ). The remote location also sets up a potential scenario where a group is at the factory being besieged by walkers and/or humans. That's a whole episode right there. Every little bit that stretches out the show is A-OK with me.

20. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

Eugene said he would be able to use casings that were already fired in his speech to Abraham,lead is not a big deal either but……Primers and Powder should be the real challenge so maybe he will start manufacturing them both using just Duct Tape and Guile just like Zombie McGyver?