Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Eugene's bullet factory

Discussion in 'Episode 614 - Twice as Far' started by mfinley, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Rickshair

Rickshair Member

I get the feeling with many of Eugene's brain waves that he is living in Cloud Cuckoo Land.

He is a bit of a fantasist, so I really don't know how credible his bullet making factory will be.

2. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Active Member

I'm guessing that in the further future in this universe, it'll be down to flintlock muskets(only primer in those is a small amount of gunpowder), crude crossbows, and of course medieval blades and blunt weapons.

Welcome back to the 1600s!!!

3. Ron Lambert

Ron Lambert Member

There is no reason if they have the facilities to melt metal, that eugene could not make all of the bullets from scratch.. once he gets the process for recycling the casings and making the lead bullets, he could melt copper and zinc and make brass.

Copper from spare wiring in any building...
    Zinc can be harvested from pennies, must be tons of pennies laying around everywhere... registers... buildings... couch cushions.. etc.

lead can be harvested from used batteries. plenty of dead ones around.

#23 Ron Lambert, Mar 21, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  4. mfinley

mfinley Member

Making your own casings would be almost on par as impossible as making your own smokeless gun powder. Casings would naturally be recycled just as people do today, people would start gathering up the spent casings for reloading just like they do today

on a scale of 1 to 10:

making Lead bullets - 5
    making casings - 11
    making smokeless gun powder - 11
    making primers - 400

Making ammo if you have used casings, a supply of gun powder and primers, would be relatively easy, with a scrounged press he could sit around on the porch at night turning out hundreds of rounds.

Eugene making ammo from casings he somehouse was producing with black powder he was producing and crazy home made primers would result in jams, hang fires, stove pipes and all the rest of ammo failures that happen once in a blue moon to happening every 2nd shot, whatever he could come up with would be the most unreliable stuff on the planet. You would be better off going to black powder muzzle loaders again.

#24 mfinley, Mar 21, 2016
  5. 8307c4

8307c4 Well-Known Member

The producers had not figured on viewers smart enough to realize you don't need a whole "factory" for this, or... They weren't smart enough themselves to realize that?

6. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

I liked Eugene's idea...i think he was being innovative and i think he could actually do it. Like some said above, sure you could probably make them without a factory but i think he's thinking big picture. They are trying to rebuild and expand, so he's thinking of an actual place to manufacture high quality ammunition, not just making something real quick out of recycled casings.

My only question is...how far was this place from Alexandria? When Abe left Eugene, he said "find your way back". Is Eugene planning on traveling to this place every day on his own to make his bullets?

7. Ron Lambert

Ron Lambert Member

nah... it wouldn't be that hard.
    [video=youtube;rPdRkaU_oFg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPdRkaU_oFg[/video]

8. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

Using recycled casings is a common way to make ammo of high quality that is sold everywhere Today.
    The Shell is good for 3 or 4 reloads typically and they shoot just like new Brass too.

Powder is even possible to make if you are a "Scientist" like Eugene-Phase 2 but the primers are a huge problem ad unless you can come up with a good source for those you might as well go old school and use percussion weapons in the end.

9. DGribble19

DGribble19 Member

I know we're a few years into the apocalypse but there are billions of rounds of ammunition in the U.S. With most of the population dead, it would all be up for grabs

10. asdf

asdf Member

This.

ON that note. Abandoned farmland begging to be cultivated. Yet, everyone's to busy fighting for canned goods if at all. There mostly just fighting.

11. AAG331

AAG331 Member

Yeah, but they have to be able to secure it, they need walls or fences or something. Maybe Rick's Group should begin establishing outposts like the Saviors do.

12. mfinley

mfinley Member

Yep, I've brought this up a bunch of times over the years. Statistically every 4th or 5th home in the United States would have firearms in it and ammo. These numbers would go up and down based on city and state, rural vs urban. But the bottom line is there is more ammo sitting around in people's homes than could be shot up by the surviving human beings in the ZA in 100 years. One mother load in just one gun enthusiasts basement would easily yield 10,000 to 100,000 rounds by itself. This doesn't even touch upon the amount of ammo and arms in national guard bases, air force and navy bases, police stations etc... you would need forklifts and trucks to make a dent in it all.

13. mfinley

mfinley Member

Those are bullets not casings. As I said, making lead bullets would be the easiest part of the process.

14. el_hombre

el_hombre Member

Not knowing anything about bullets of making bullets, I have an easier time with this than the fact that they're still ale to find random vehicles with fuel and batteries that will still start up a car.

15. Walker97

Walker97 Active Member

What I don't understand is why they have been driving trashy old cars from the beginning, when hitting up any dealership would net you new cars, trucks, RVs, etc. Anything you need is available. The biggest fallacy of the show is the idea of scarcity...It would be greatly plentiful with resources. Certainly long enough until stable communities could develop and maintain civilization.

16. mfinley

mfinley Member

I can only recall maybe one time or two when they acknowledge that fact that access to anything you wanted was available, the time that Glenn got to drive a suped up Camaro or some car like that, he lured the walkers away with it with it's alarm going off...he was visually excited about getting to drive a cool car

Ever watch The Last Man On Earth tv show, it's a comedy but it's funny as hell because the survivors drive around in Lamborghinis and monster trucks, they have famous works of art in their houses taken from museums, they have famous and valuable stuff they break or use for silly purposes... one guy drove a lear jet down the street, he didn't know how to fly it but he got it started so he just drove it to the super market, they take crystal glasses worth a few thousand dollars each and do skeet shooting with them... basically the opposite premise of the walking dead's scarcity mentality it's a 'hey almost everybody is dead and there is access to all this crazy stuff that you had no access to before' mentality

#36 mfinley, Mar 21, 2016
  17. Sco

Sco Member

Eugene's Mullet Factory

18. bula412

bula412 Well-Known Member

It might be better if other settlements didn't know where you are producing your ammunition, hence the offsite location. They would obviously have to fortify the building and maybe several surrounding buildings with guards. Just enough guards that you can protect the facility and not draw a lot of attention to yourself. If an enemy does their research, they might be able to figure out where the factory is but it is better than them knowing definitively where to find it (ASZ).

19. Camilleyun

Camilleyun Well-Known Member

The mullet is so Stage 1.
    He's got a full on Stage 2 ponytail now.

20. mtamborra

mtamborra Member

Couldn't they melt any metals to make bullets? why does it have to be lead? what's a primer for bullets do? What would happen if they melted steel and made bullets without shells? I'm sure its complicated like you said, but I'm just curious