Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Everybody was barely there

Discussion in 'Episode 210 - 18 Miles Out' started by Joshua, Feb 26, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Greyone

Greyone Member

slw2082, the time is always a problem on the show. I try to use the logistics to gauge time. You are right that it seems to be a slice of the day and you are also right that it is lunch time (or so it seems). Lori is cutting a chicken quarter- what happened to the rest of the bird? They're cutting whole tomatoes and cucumber; where's the rest going? Lori takes the girl her meal, leaves, and comes back ostensibly after enough time has passed for her to consume it (20-30min). Maggie, during this time has left. We learn later they wander past Andrea, who is atop the RV. But they've since wandered who-knows-where (again, during the ZA where walkers lurch out of the woods with no warning). Andrea obviously finds them and decides she'll go back with Maggie to see what's wrong (maybe Glenn then pulls guard duty?). Back at the farm house a row is underway between the sisters. Andrea and Lori bicker; Andrea goes upstairs. Here the sequence of events breaks down: How does Andrea get out of the house unseen? How long is Maggie away from the room? What was Lori doing during that time? How does Andrea get to whereever she was when she "hears" of the incident and how does Herschel get there and commence stitching?

I don't sit and puzzle on these things- they just snap into place in my head as I watch (occupational hazard). When the logistics break down, for me the story breaks down. I can still follow it but it seems the writers just make things happen.

With so much going on on the small farm- as you said, someone had to slaughter the chicken- it just seems obvious the others are deliberately not shown in an episode that does have more walkers. So, it's an obvious budgetary issue. Again, the show was not bad, but as I said, they can take a day during production and just do cut-outs and splice them into shows. Many people have complained about the rushed and often careless production and the show runner can eliminate some mistakes with common post-pro tricks.

2. slw2082

slw2082 Well-Known Member

I understand, just like my post earlier, the walker in the field bothered me and like you said it could mean nothing at all, just the writers going "hmm this will make people think."
    We can't help what we latch on to or what bothers us in the episodes, seen or unseen. I was just trying to offer some thoughts on the situation. :Grin:

3. Duzy

Duzy Active Member

I found myself talking to the TV when all this was going on. I was trying to picture in my head where the others were and I just couldn't get it to fit.

How much does it cost to have others walk by in the background, so that things seem real? I really have no clue on the economics of TV production, but little things like this become bothersome to me and I am pretty easy to please when it comes to "fantasy" type TV shows, or movies. My problem is when a show tries to come off as "realistic" and screws little things up.

4. Crazydwarf

Crazydwarf Member

I loved that aswell, my favorite since he blasted the little girl in the beginning of season 1.
    Hmmm, did that just make me sound a little screwed up in the head ?

Still though Gimli > Rick for getting pinned under enemy corpses.

5. Zombie Lover

Zombie Lover Active Member

I just figured Carol and Patricia are doing laundry
    Glen is trying to explore his feelings about Maggie with "wise Old" Dale
    Carl is folowing Hershel arround asking where babies come from
    Daryl is doing some tracking on Randalls group
    and T Dawg is showing the teenager on the farm not to shoot like a gangsta....

6. Jakeo1616

Jakeo1616 New Member

The lack of characters didn't bother me because while we missed out on some of my favorites (Hershel and Daryl) we were made to care about two "new" characters in Randall and Beth.

In Nebraska when Beth goes down I thought "idc if she lives or dies who is she" by the end of 18 Miles Out I was genuinely interested if she was going to kill herself.

7. Navygunz75

Navygunz75 Member

I see a couple things happening with this. First, I think they wanted the focus to be mainly on Rick and Shane this episode. They put that other story line in to show basically their female counterparts going through the similar differences.

And also, actors get paid per episode, so that's probably a bigger factor than anything else. Put the main focus on Rick and Shane, and give everyone else the day off other than the cheap help (Hershels family).

8. dlhays1

dlhays1 Member

remember Hershel had not drunk in over 20 years. so I guess he was nursing a bad hangover. lol

9. dlhays1

dlhays1 Member

I am start to like Andrea. I really wanted Andrea dead. but not now. But I still want Lori dead!!! And when it happens I am have "a Lori is dead party"!!! I just LOVED it when Andrea told Lori off!!!! Lori has not lost anyone. Lori has her husband, her son, baby on the way and her BOYFRIEND!!! GO Andrea!!!

10. slw2082

slw2082 Well-Known Member

I hated her pretty much the end of season 1 and most of the beginning of season 2. Now I really don't care about her, other than her attitude. I don't like Lori either. That is why I kinda liked the fight, that they told each other off.

11. McNaMaradona13

McNaMaradona13 New Member

Everyone seems so worried about what everyone is doing but it was all covered with one simple piece of dialogue between Andrea and Lori. Lori gets at Andrea for skipping chores and points out everyone now has to pick up Andrea's slack. Simple answer, they are all doing chores. Don't read so far into things.

12. C-Tac

C-Tac Member

This episode wasn't really about "Everyone". They showed us the part of the story that really mattered at this point in time. Mainly Shane and Rick. After the end of E9 I would have been pissed if Rick and Shane didn't have a confrontation in E 10. Great episode.

13. akurei00

akurei00 Member

I agree that a lot of them are probably out doing "chores", whatever those may be. But as far as I can remember, you see a little of the front lawn and the field behind where the camper is parked. That's it for the outdoors. You see the kitchen, the bedroom, a bathroom, and a hallway upstairs indoors. That's really not a whole lot of areas on the farm. People aren't going to just sit on the front lawn all day. I'm sure they move around a little bit. So I can see maybe catching a glimpse of one or two of the other non-essential characters for this episode wandering around in the background but it's not that big of a deal to me. They're around... somewhere. Throwing in a shot of Carol washing clothes or T-Dog drawing water from a well while Carl watches is just useless filler that would take away from the primary story of the episode.

14. boutte

boutte Active Member

I'm surprised to see this conversation still going. This seems like a non issue.

15. Crazydwarf

Crazydwarf Member

I found the lack of the cast disturbing.
    Just showing them on screen in the background or something just looking buisy had been enough.
    Probably they did this for budget reasons, no need to pay an actor whos character is only briefly mentioned.

But the whole thing just reminded me of the Dr. Doolittle sequels and how Eddie Murphy obviously wasnt in them.
    It just seemed off since it's not a style TWD has used until now.

16. AVC

AVC Member

Maybe they are all out starting up a new collection for the barn.

It's a farm, there's farming to be done. We certainly don't want to be watching it during an episode.

17. Crazydwarf

Crazydwarf Member

Not directly no.
    But just a brief glimse showing them working a field or whatever would show the audience that
    "Oh look these people are still on the show, they are just not relevant to the story right now"
    The lack of this is something new to the show as far as I have noticed, and that new style is what makes it stand out and seem odd.

18. Walker Bait

Walker Bait Well-Known Member

I thought about this while I was watching it. To be honest, my first thought was, "They're budgeting." I know that sounds silly, but AMC has cut their budget per show, and there was quite a lot of walkers and special effects in this episode as compared to some of the first half of the season. The money for extras, makeup, SFX, and on-location shooting has to come from somewhere.

I don't know how the contracts are structured, but there's a very good chance that if an actor doesn't appear in an episode then he/she doesn't get paid. I find it less likely that this would be the case for the core cast, but definitely supporting characters like Hershel probably only get paid for episodes they appear in. In this episode we did not see Daryl, Carol, Carl, Glenn, T-Dog, Dale, Hershel, and Otis's wife (forget her name) and if that means those actors didn't get paid for this episode that's a chunk of change saved for other things.

19. Buttercup

Buttercup Member

I thought for sure, they'll show one of the other characters in a different scene. Maybe, they were all in the barn, dancing with the Walkers. :zombies_lol: