Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Fargo

Discussion in 'Television Shows' started by MassiveDynamic, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

If you would have paused the show just after Ed narrowly escapes from being caught with a finger, and asked me what might happen next, a voice-over describing an alien race that is watching us waiting to exact a plan would have been at least 4th from the top of my list.

2. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

I just saw it last night. That was crazy. I had to look it up, but as I suspected, the voiceover was from War of the Worlds.

We saw a possible UFO in the first episode, too, but with everything else going on, I'd almost forgotten about it.

[​IMG]

3. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

The finger scene reminded me a scene from Psycho III (starting at about 7:25). The sheriff is sniffing around the Bates Motel on a hot day, so he opens the ice cooler, grabs some ice out of it, and pops it in his mouth, not noticing the dead fingers of the missing woman he's looking for poking through. Norman has to sit there and act like everything is fine.

https://youtu.be/Vam3dgZ6FKI?t=7m25s

I think Trooper Lou is a lot smarter than the sheriff from Psycho, though. When he saw the lights on at the butcher shop and Ed's truck parked outside, do you think he stopped in because he was suspicious of Ed's being there so late, or because he was concerned that maybe there had been a break-in and Ed was in trouble? It just goes to show you can't get away with anything in a small town.

4. Neuropyramidal

Yeah, until the voice over, I had written off the first UFO sighting as a hallucination induced by the stress of just becoming a murderer. Perhaps not. ;)

5. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

Just watched second episode yesterday afternoon. Whats up with the aliens? The show has a definite quirky, weird or not sure tone to it.

6. Neuropyramidal

I thought it was pretty funny when the kid went to murder Ed and then came back to the car with an order of beef. :p

7. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

Every episode still has included some reference to aliens. Does nobody know what's up with that? Is it some allegorical meaning I am just not getting?

8. Neuropyramidal

9. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

Last night's episode was fantastic.

I loved the unexpected twists. First, Bear, who seemed to be the most sympathetic brother, kills (presumably) his niece and then backstabs his brother. Ouch. Then, The Undertaker, who we presume to be a no-nonsense guy who's going to take care of business -- judging by his accessories of two henchmen and an eerie theme song -- gets taken out immediately by Mike.

I was thinking about the Gerhardt children, Simone and Charlie, and the parallel between them. Charlie wants to fall in line and find a place in the family business, while Simone actively rebels against it. Both end up paying dearly. There's no winning in that family, and I wouldn't be surprised if they all end up dead by the end of the show.

What did you think about all the crazy research Betsy found in Hank's study? Will this tie into the UFOs somehow?

10. Neuropyramidal

That's what I was thinking too, but it went by so fast I couldn't really determine what I was looking at. I'll pause that scene later.

11. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

I'd rewatch it, but it's already deleted. Too many thangs on the PVR.

12. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

This is the best season out of the two seasons.

The symbols seemed to be Egyptian hieroglyphics. There was a picture of the Pyramids on the back wall of Hank's office, and the book he was reading is the palaces of the gods.

13. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

I absolutely loved last season and consider it to be some of the most brilliant TV I've ever watched, so it'll be hard to top that. I especially liked the interactions between Billy Bob Thornton and Martin Freeman, and watching Freeman's character's downward spiral. But this season is also really great so far.

Hmm...so I wonder why Hank is researching that stuff? He seems quite laid back and reasonable on the surface, but the state of his study implies an obsessive, disordered mind.

14. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

It's understandable, his wife died and his daughter is dying.

Probably a lot of PTSD from the job as well..

15. Neuropyramidal

"Christ, its Rapid City all over again!"

I think we just found our plot for Season 3. :p

So, the 6 dollar question of the evening...will the aliens ever be explained? The answer is almost certainly no. :p

16. Neuropyramidal

Good episode tonight. I'm starting to think the rich lady who wants to buy out Emmitt is behind much of this. Her and the fat banker. Maybe they got Emmitt mixed up with Varga on purpose, so they could later blow the whistle on them, destroy Emmitt's empire, and sweep in and take over his territory.

I wouldn't be surprised if she was the one who left Ray's car and the stamp photos.

17. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

Never watched Fargo until recently. I now have 3 episodes left in Season 3. I really enjoyed the first two seasons, but # 3 just isn't as compelling. Billy Bob Thornton was amazing in Season 1 to the point where even though he was playing such a horrendous character, I really didn't want him to die at the end. Season 2 is my favorite. I liked what they did with the background on the Solverson family. All the secondary characters were solid too.

Read that there will likely be a Season 4 sometime in 2019.

18. Neuropyramidal

• Like Like x 1
  19. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

The description sounds great. I love this series but thought Season 3 was not quite as good as the previous two. This one sounds like it could be right up there with the first two. Chris Rock is an interesting choice for the lead too. With the comedic elements of the series this could end up being the perfect part for him.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Neuropyramidal