Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

First animals in series?

Discussion in 'Episode 405 - Internment' started by TexinOhio, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

They would. Hungry animals will go after other animals that it would normally avoid under other circumstances, especially if those other animals are incapacitated.

2. bassetluv

bassetluv Active Member

Oh, I think they would. Any dog who is starving will take whatever it can get. Even if the dogs initially sensed something was off ('hey Fido, I think this meat is past it's due date'), hunger would quickly bypass that thought.

3. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

Well if they can eat walker meat and not get sick, why was Rick's group always starving? Do a "Donner Party" on the fresh-looking walkers, cooking them well, of course, and stay well-fed and healthy. Heck, your food supply is basically limitless!

4. Neuropyramidal

As an aside, I think a meaningful scene would be a stray pet arriving at the prison with a wise but tired look in its eyes. Maybe some dried blood in it, timid but still non-hostile toward living humans. It would beg the imagination..."what has this dog been through??"....and maybe more meaningful if the dog has a note attached to its collar, something like "Please Help Us. Phones down for 2 weeks now. Husband is sick."

5. Neuropyramidal

An infectious illness may affect one species but not another. A 'virus' that kills humans may wish a dog no harm.

6. Morgotha

eh......... But thoroughly cooking the meat? Maybe if it was a prion disease or something, but dogs and people are reasonably similar. Birds can eat berries that dogs or people can't, but what can dogs ingest that people (with a properly sensitized digestive tract/immune system) can't? Granted modern man isn't used to eating rancid foods, but our genes would still have the capability to ramp up to anything our ancestors could do.

7. CripWalker

CripWalker Member

I can't believe no one has mentioned squirrels...

8. fruitfulandgay

fruitfulandgay Well-Known Member

Yes please, I adore dogs, mine specifically. Just last week though, i peeled two pounds of shrimp and my girl got into the trash to eat the tails and skins. I promise it smelled at least as bad as a rotting body and she's not normally a trashy dog. I want to see more dogs for sure... the emotionally wounded, the proverbial Lassie, bring it on

9. mfinley

mfinley Member

No but a step in the right direction. There should be tons of dogs running around in packs and solitary scaveging whatever they can get. Dogs would be quite capable of surviving in the ZA and should be running around all over

10. AndyChicago

AndyChicago Member

Remember the possum in the cupboard? Best animal cameo.

11. Doomhed

Doomhed Member

I hate to be that guy, but prions are mis-folded proteins. It takes temperatures over 4000 degrees to vaporize them-They cannot be destroyed by cooking temperatures, which is why the mad cow disease outbreak required destruction of so many cows. If it was just a matter of cooking well done, they wouldn't have killed 10,000 cattle.

Dogs and people only share 25% of the same genome. We are more closely related to pigs, horses and rats than we are to dogs. In fact, the yeast that makes beer shares a higher percentage of our genome.

Also, it is not just a matter of cooking human meat. the anaerobic bacteria feasting on a dead human corpse is the same type of bacteria that cause narcotizing fasciitis. Heating them only causes them to enter an endosporic state. Freezing is how you would get rid of that particular bug,and they clearly don't have access to that.

How do I know these things? I am in school to be a mortician. You have no idea how much we have to learn just to put people in the ground.

12. Morgotha

LOL! you ARE "that guy", just a different "that guy". My point was that while cooking would kill bacteria, it would NOT kill prions. Therefore, cooking the meat would NOT have helped if it was a prion disease, but would have for a bacterial one.

If they were really worried about eating the walkers and thought that dogs could eat them and they couldn't, they could always BREED dogs and feed them walkers and then eat the dogs. Might be a bit more "palatable" to the survivors as well....

13. diagvro

diagvro Member

in the future dogs and other predators will over breed cos of abundance of food (walkers) then after 4+years of the apocalypse we will have a massive numbers of hungry animals trying to prey on humans cos all walkers will be dead lmfao

14. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

Mrs Mcleod is taking him for a walk on other side of prison (off camera).

15. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

There should be lots of feral cats around. There are a lot around here now. First rat and mouse population would explode with plenty of stuff to eat and fast reproduction rate. Stores and houses would have easy entry . Places broken into by looting people would provide entry points for the rodents. Storage facilities filled with grain would be abandoned havens (heaven?) for rodents. Rodents like stuff looters would leave behind , sacks of hard dog food or bird seed for example. Feral cats therefore would have plentiful food source. If Hershel could find some spaghetti he could make cat meatballs , just don't tell the others what's in the meat. Don't ask, don't tell policy on what's in the meatballs.

16. JayDee

JayDee Member

Yes! In fact they are the ONLY surviving animals left in the post ZA world! Good eye there ;)

17. The_Not_So_Dead

Feral cats and dogs would be very scary. You'd see a cute little kitty, chihuaha, or Lassie, or RinTinTin, and go: "oooeeh, poor baby, you all alone?" and then bite / scratch: a new problem besides the flu: Tetanus.

But really groups of feral dogs can be dangerous. I read that somewhere (can't remember where) they wonder about and attack people. In a ZA if you come into their territory... well they can run a lot faster than walkers.

Your suggestion brings to mind a bit of a BadLeapReading of Game of Thrones where "Petey" gave everyone kittenmeat-burgers. ><

18. Darylette

Darylette Member

Yeah, ive thought that. Dogs are fantastic protectors, they'd look after their owner as much as possible. They can be trained to do all sorts. I'd get me a nice big German shepherd, people would run a mile when they saw that was coming for them.

19. bassetluv

bassetluv Active Member

While it is rare that feral dog packs will actually surround and attack people (they are much more likely to live off of cats, small rodents, and human garbage), it does happen. In Mexico recently - I believe it was this year - four people were attacked and killed by a pack of feral dogs when the people were out for a walk in a park in Mexico City, near an area where the dogs were living in caves. Given that this sort of thing can happen in today's society, just imagine how much of a threat it would be in a world where food sources are very scarce, and the number of dogs competing for food has multiplied exponentially.

20. bassetluv

bassetluv Active Member

Omigod, my son would never survive a ZA if squirrels were running around! LOL...he was once attacked by a squirrel that had managed to get into his apartment. According to his post-squirrel attack description, it was like a scene right out of National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation....squirrel plastered to his chest whilst he ran around the room screaming at the top of his lungs like a little girl. hehe...he'll never live the humiliation of that one down.