Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

First five minutes of Seed

Discussion in 'Episode 301 - Seed' started by CoyoteTWD, Jan 18, 2015.

1. CoyoteTWD

CoyoteTWD Well-Known Member

So, I'm on my 3rd watching of the series (to date) and I just finished watching Seed and I just realized something. For the whole intro scene before the credits (about five minutes), not a single word is spoken. However, so much about what the characters have gone through since the end of S2 is made so apparent.

It is demonstrated that a significant amount of time has passed given the way the characters have grown and facial hair (I'm looking at you Herschel).

They clearly have gotten a lot more experience and are working together as a great team as evidenced by the well organized search of the house by all and the whistle to indicate that the house is clear and it's safe to enter. They have clearly done this many times before.

They have bonded and are growing closer to each other as evidenced by Rick and Daryl's little chuckle with each other after they point their weapons at each other.

There is clearly tension between Lori and Rick as evidenced by the cold shoulder they give each other as Lori walks by him into the house.

They have had a really tough winter and are exhausted and hungry as evidenced by the dog food incident and just the weary and downtrodden looks on all their faces as they sit around the house.

Carl obviously has grown into a capable young man as evidenced by his assistance with checking the house and his easy, nonchalant walker kill.

They have learned a lot and have become more resourceful as evidenced by the makeshift silencers and the use of more innovative tools for walker kills as well as Maggie spotting that axe before they got out of dodge.

Rick is frustrated by their constant need to be on the run and his inability to find a safe haven and proper provisions for his group yet he still believes there is something out there as evidenced by the fact that he won't let them resort to eating dog food and the way he throws the can.

The final scene where more walkers come and they skedaddle just as quickly as they came conveys what they have basically been doing all winter and you can see how this would be exhausting.

And all this was conveyed in 5 minutes without a single word said. Great scene and great job by the actors conveying all of this. Whatever your thoughts about the episode, do most think it was as great an opening segment as I do?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

Definitely a fantastic opening scene. Seed itself is a pretty strong episode.

Things changed a lot after season 2… The group was facing MAJOR losses for the first time. Shane, Dale, Andrea (although she was only separated from the group, but still a lost asset), the farm was gone. Seed was like the beginning of "act II" of The Walking Dead. Even just the tone of that episode, particularly the opening scene, is a lot darker. It's clear that they're desperate and struggling.

3. Benrai2k

Benrai2k Active Member

Yeah, totally agree with you. I think Seed was a great episode, a strong start. I think actually after "Killer Within", when Lori died, is when the show totally became Act2, somehow with her gone the show became totally detached from S1-2 (very Lori/Shane based) and started to become very different - with the Gov/Michonne arriving.

4. CoyoteTWD

Agreed...this was a turning point in a completely different direction for the series.

I was just surprised that I didn't realize until my 3rd viewing that no words were spoken in the opening scene. I was just struck watching how much was conveyed without words and that I didn't miss dialogue at all.

This is a good point. Lori still represented the aftermath of the conflict that Shane caused. Once she was gone, that whole storyline was over for good.

5. Lt. Col. Cookie

Speech is silver, silence is gold.
    Rick ignoring Lori was a lot more impacting than any argument they could have had. And what I like the most about the silence between the group is that it shows how much they've grown together and gone through together. There must be a certain level of trust and understanding to be able to know what the other means without evening saying a word.
    Glad that you pointed this out, I hadn't even noticed.

6. ltomlinson31

ltomlinson31 Well-Known Member

I absolutely love scenes in shows like this where there is not a line of dialogue spoken, and it captures the mood absolutely perfectly. It worked here.

7. CoyoteTWD

ITA -- and I like that saying!

Me too which is why I was so surprised that I didn't notice the lack of dialogue until my third viewing! D'oh!

I don't think they will do a time jump for the second half of S5 or if they do, I think it will be short one. Maybe between S5 and S6 depending on how the second half of S5 ends.

8. kennyisalive94

kennyisalive94 Well-Known Member

I liked Seed a lot. The quiet atmosphere plus the character development, plus all things considered, a lot happened. And it was a good T-Dog episode lol.

9. Lt. Col. Cookie

I know, right!? Of course they all had arguments in season 1 and 2 but Seed was a new level of tension and the atnosphere changed a lot. It was like, can their relationship go even more downhill that what it has already gone? Oh yes it can, you bet.

By the way, it was T-dog's time to shine

10. andrewlincoln

andrewlincoln New Member

I think the first episode of third season is very good.But I think shane shouldn't die.Because the events could drive excited with shane.

Attached Files:

11. TGO

TGO Well-Known Member

Personally i thought Seed was overrated. It was great for Mazzara's run but there are much better episodes out there. I also thought the Opening wasn't that great. Fans give it credit because we actually saw them doing something after the season we spent on the farm and we were shown how easily they'd adapted to that world but it really wasn't anything special, there are much better episode openings, even in Mazzara's run of the show.

12. ltomlinson31

ltomlinson31 Well-Known Member

I liked Seed myself, but it did contain something horrible. One of the lower points on the show.

13. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

The silence also isn't just between Rick and Lori...it's between Carl and Lori too.

Carl acts very cold towards his mother. He doesn't speak or look at her. He doesn't offer her food - but he does to Rick - when the group set camp for the night. When Hershel checks up on Lori, she laments that her son hates her.

Carl clearly figured out that Lori and Shane had been screwing around while they thought Rick was dead, so he retaliated by treating his mother so harshly. I think the show's writers made a big mistake in not having Carl confront his parents on the Lori/Shane affair.

14. Prufrock

Prufrock Well-Known Member

[MENTION=73922]CoyoteTWD[/MENTION] I loved the silence, as well. It filled in the missing gaps from the last season. The contrast is startling. They've become a killing unit, all working together- everyone is on their "points." They are no longer the comfy & clean farm group- they're sweaty, dirty, hardened and exhausted.

The dog food "incident" gives us the full view of just how desperate it has become in their time on the road. From Carl's willingness to eat it, Rick's pride and the groups silence during the rejection spoke volumes of their current state.

15. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

I immediately thought of the can of Alpo when Rick prepared to carve up those dogs in the fifth season episode "Them". By the look on his face, I'll bet Rick did too.

16. Prufrock

Prufrock Well-Known Member

Yes! I love that they didn't hit us over with a tit for tat type of argument. This body language in Sick, was figuratively & literally a moment in their relationship

[​IMG]

17. Lt. Col. Cookie

I'm glad they didn't make Carl totally clueless to all of this. Obviously he didn't notice it at first but eventually Lori should have known he would catch one.
    And about Carl confronting his parents, I'm not sure if at that age I would have gotten involved. I probably wouldn't want to even talk to my mom

18. Lt. Col. Cookie

This was one of the very few moments where I pitied Lori. Pretty sad