Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Flash back, flash forward, flash sideways...

Discussion in 'Episode 809 - Honor' started by Miamicuse, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Miamicuse

Miamicuse Active Member

I understand flash backs and forwards are techniques in story telling, may be to show events that are happening concurrently by cutting into each other, or to tie seemingly unrelated things together, or to explain how the future is impacted by a past event etc...

But we are seeing this flash ahead and back in almost every episode now.

It makes the goodbye scene too long, it felt like a 90 minute goodbye scene. Way too long in my opinion.

Please someone explain to me what is the point of showing the goodbye scene, then go forward to show rick and michonne shoveling the grave, then back to the goodbye scene. What is the purpose of showing that scene repeatedly in that sequence. You mean someone will go "ah, now it makes sense, that's Carl's grave they are digging!"??? Really?

And I do get that they want to show Carl going out strong and heroic and all that, but sorry, no parent will let a child shoot himself in the head. No way. You want him to go peacefully, or as peaceful as natural as possible, then take care of it before the re-animation. A parent would want to own that pain, and won't let a kid to have to pull the trigger no matter how painful that will be.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Apollonia

Apollonia Well-Known Member

Maybe no parent by today's standards. But you have to remember it's a different world they live in or that's how it is portrayed. The period of the flashbacks and flash-forwards is to show how they got from point A to point B. I get that you think 90 minutes was too long but I would have been happy with it going longer. It was very emotional and I couldn't get enough of his goodbyes to both his father and Michonne. And I hate to break it to you but it's not over. That goodbye is going to continue over to more episodes. And I for one I'm really happy about it. And really look forward to how Rick and Michonne go on from this.

And to add to your comment about no parent would let a child do that let's take it a little further. What parent in today's world would put a gun in their kids hand and tell him to shoot people or expect him to period or send them out everyday knowing there's a possibility that Walking Dead people will have them for their next meal? You have to throw out what we would do in today's standards because they just do not apply in The Walking Dead world.

#2 Apollonia, Feb 27, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

I feel like the entire season 8 is a flashback, Rick laying under the tree thinking about what happened and how he got there. So "real time" is Rick under the tree, the war is over. He's remembering the events of season 8, thinking back and sort of replaying everything in his head. Processing everything as he decides what to do about Negan.

As far as Carl shooting himself. I imagine it was his last wish. To put himself down so neither Rick or Michonne would have to live with the memory of doing it. He knows first hand how that stays with you and he didn't want his Father or best friend to have to live with that.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 4
  4. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

OHHHHHHH it never occurred to me that season 8 could completely be a flashback. I LIKE the scenario you have painted, VERY MUCH
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Reina

Reina Active Member

This sounds like an episode of LOST.
    #notpennysboat

6. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

Awwww not penny’s boat.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Jesus is my constant
    #desmond
    #seeyainanotherlifebrother

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Reina

Reina Active Member

Netflix fails me. They've lost LOST. Wtf? I really want to watch LOST again.

9. PepperAnn

I do too!!!

10. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

It is now on Hulu! And I have been rewatching

OHHHHHHHH that is what we should do over the summer break between season 8 and season 9 - REWATCH LOST!!!!

With all these old shows becoming new again.....I swear to *insert your favorite deity* they better leave Lost the f*ck alone!!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

I should do that too - I have yet to watch that whole series. I've seen a few episodes from Season 1, and then random bits and pieces here & there.

12. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I started re-watching favorite episodes from the series and was reminded just how much I loved the show.

We could commit to watching 2-3 episodes per week and then dissect the episodes on a set day each week/evening. I did not have a forum "back in the day" when I was a Lost fanatic, would be fun to now have the chance to chat about it with other fans

• Like Like x 2
  13. Reina

Reina Active Member

This is a good idea! I stayed confused about a lot of it. It would be nice to know how others interpreted certain episodes.
    [​IMG]

LOST was my first Netflix binge. I loved that show and hated to finish it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I watched it old school - before Netflix was a think LOL!

Jack and Desmond my favorite characters
    Sayid a close runner up
    And of course I adored Charlie

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. 92Pony

92Pony Active Member

I totally get the part about Carl taking care of matter himself. As noted above, this is a totally different world they're in, so applying ideas, rules, or decorum of today's normalcy just wouldn't work.

I'm with you on all of the jumping around. Sheesh! Enough already! Gah....... With the writers or directors (whomever makes that call), it's like the kid in school who just learned a new, big word and tries to use it in every other sentence whether it fits or not.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Miamicuse

Miamicuse Active Member

I know the point of the flashback is to show how it gets from point A to point B. That's what I said in my initial post. So really, someone will hit his/her head and say "oh wow, I had no idea they were digging Carl's grave, now it all make sense" while they went back and forth between the goodbye, the kingdom scene and the grave digging scene? To me the grave digging serves no purpose being intermixed like that.

Not saying the goodbye scene was too long, I don't know how long it actually was because it was intermixed with many other sequences. May be the director felt that having him say goodbye to Daryl & company, Siddiq, Judith, Michonne, Rick is too much so they wanted to chop that up in bits to make it feel less dragged out, but to me it felt more so.

I don't think that analogy is comparable. Putting a gun in the hands of kids served a purpose. Like it or not, they had to learn how to protect themselves in that world. It serves a practical purpose. Just because the world is different from this doesn't change human nature and logic. That particular scene does not resonate in me because I do not believe a parent would let that happen. I get that the kid may be brave enough and strong enough to shoot himself to spare his parent's pain, but I don't believe that that parent would allow that to happen and walk away and let the kid do this thing. What if while they are outside Carl misfired and shot part of his nose off and still not dead? What if he tried to shoot himself and realized he didn't have the strength and will and have to yell DAD out loud to come back and help him? What if what if? Yes the writers are saying he did it to spare Rick the pain to have to do it, would Rick be any less painful? No. I don't buy that scene. That's just me. To me it would be more believable if Carl has asked Rick to get him some water and shot himself (with or without Michoone's help) while he turned or stepped away.

17. PepperAnn

the grave digging scene was very emotional for me, so I'm going with that as the reason to include it. It really drove home that Carl is actually dead. :(

18. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

I think the jumping around was not just a storytelling device, but actually showing that Rick's thoughts were all over the place. We are literally seeing inside his mind as he jumps around between different memories.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1