Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

FTWD Criticisms and Complaints

Discussion in 'Fear The Walking Dead Television Series' started by westwingnut, May 25, 2015.

1. Tara La Reine

Tara La Reine Member

I had a somewhat similar experience. I love TWD, but I didn't love it immediately. Zombies aren't actually my thing, so I'd never read the comics. My mom basically begged me to binge watch the first three seasons one week I was visiting and she regularly quizzed me on my opinion throughout. It wasn't until the beginning of the third season that I really settled in. I still love that dialogue-free first scene.

I have some issues with other aspects of FTWD, but not the characters. I am invested in them and eager to see who they become, how they deal with living in the ZA, and how they will interact with each other and new characters when they can no longer isolate themselves. When I think of how different Rick's group is in season 5 compared to season 1, it seems ridiculous to dismiss anybody. Who thought much of Carol circa 'Wildfire'? I gotta confess- not me.

2. dhdhdh33

dhdhdh33 Member

The characters and writing are weak and the plot line not a dynamic one and the setting stagnant. But it should improve in future seasons. However I thought last week would be a really break out episode it was possibly the most boring.

3. MikeNVegas

MikeNVegas New Member

I don't care about a junkie

Please send me an email if they ever kill off the junkie, I might start watching again. In TWD, I sorta kinda care about most of the characters. I already gave up on Fear.

4. Camilleyun

Camilleyun Well-Known Member

I can't deny that I share your disappointment with seeing more of the fall of society. This is my favorite part of apocalypse stories.
    I understand budget constraints, but feel they could have utilized media coverage in lieu of big budget disaster scenes and still been able to bring down more of a sense of urgency and doom. Tobias reveals his apprehension is due to what he's seen on the internet, and we get to see a viral video with Alicia and friends. You have to pay close attention to catch the few radio broadcasts that were included. The riot scene was good, but it felt more like an isolated event, again this could have been amped up with a single radio broadcast inside the barber shop explaining how the riots were widespread in several states and authorities are being overwhelmed by the sheer numbers while trying to deal with the weird virus. The hospital, again it was good and we did get a brief radio broadcast during the drive by but I had to watch it several times and turn on my CC to catch it all. I realize Madison didn't turn anything on because she was still trying to shield Alicia, but as a mom myself, I would have attempted this away from Alicia to try and find out what's going on. I remember the Governors speech where he said .."we've come a long way since the early days of sitting scared and huddled around our TVs" (something like that) I expected to see this. Some radio broadcasts and snipping scenes from real news events, or even 1 staged news report, would have been budget friendly and really increased the sense of panic and the widespread nature of these events. I try to remember that we're supposed to be seeing it through the eyes of our crew, but I think most people would be turning on their radio and TV. Nick tried in the truck after they ran over Cal and got nothing, later saying no one is talking about it, like it's not even real. I can buy that, but by the time there is widespread rioting and looting, the FAA is grounding flights and a curfew is being implemented, there would be non stop coverage and people would be tuning in - even it it was just to hear the EBS recording on a loop. ( we even got this in TWD)

The 9 day time jump. I hope they plan to redeem themselves by showing us something from that time frame, either through Chris's vlog, flashbacks, or survivor's stories. I'm enjoying the show a lot, starting to feel a connection with some of the characters but still feel like they missed a great and completely do-able opportunity in regards to the lack of media coverage that could have impacted the whole vibe of the outbreak.

5. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

Thanks for that. Thinking back, in the show the riot did seem to be an isolated event, especially as they drove home with no trouble. If they just would have had them in the barbershop listening to a portable radio or t.v. for a few seconds and saying, "wow, this rioting is EVERYWHERE" it would have felt like the city was in flames rather than it being one street filled with hoodlums.

6. dhdhdh33

dhdhdh33 Member

A lot could have been accomplished with limited time and budget to make it more believable and informative. I understand they want the shadow of the apocalypse not the meat in this series but there should have done more to sell it and understand it. It would have helped the whole backbone of the show. You have to see or believe in the monster to be really scared by it's shadow.

So far they are still bickering in the same pre-apocalypse era kitchen. Hard to build tension there.

7. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

We also have to believe that the problems were so widespread that it led to a total failure of the power grid in the entire LA basin. That one is a little hard to swallow from a technical standpoint.

Then again, I happily watch Star Trek, and I know that FTL travel is impossible.

8. Morgotha

FTL travel is impossible with science as we know it. Who knows what tomorrow will bring?

9. westwingnut

Well, TV writers definitely do not know. My point being that to enjoy any science fiction show, one must be willing to accept things which go against the intellect.

10. Camilleyun

Camilleyun Well-Known Member

Like watching a show where the dead rise to eat the living, and even rotting corpses with decayed torsos are still hungry for human flesh?:Grin:

11. Kilroy was here

Kilroy was here Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

12. Morgotha

Aren't the power grid troubles and the zombie theme two different things though? Sure you have to suspend disbelief that there can be zombies, but accepting that, the show should be internally consistent. In this case the show is supposed to be like the real world that goes to Hell when the dead begin to rise and eat people. So as far as everyday items, they should work in the show like they do now. Vans shouldn't magically right themselves. The power grid shouldn't just stop working because it advances the plot, etc.

I have no problem with zombies or FTL travel as the basis for a story, but don't want to have Superman show up and kill zombies with his laser vision and save the day when Maddie and Travis get backed into a corner.

13. westwingnut

Having a whole power grid wink out in 5 seconds is comparable to an American tank having a trap door at the bottom. Writers write that kind of stuff. Roll your eyes once and move on, that's my approach.

The van thing is about the most ridiculous thing ever on TV, but that wasn't the writers' doing. It's difficult to get a real van to fall exactly the way you want. What they should have done was have Carol and Daryl crawl out of the upside-down van.

#193 westwingnut, Oct 1, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  14. Morgotha

Makes sense to me. On the van, if I was in their shoes and experience level post ZA, I'd try taking my chances running towards one side of the bridge or the other and fighting my way through the walkers rather than strapping myself in a van and going over head first. What kind of crazy risk assesment was that?

15. dhdhdh33

dhdhdh33 Member

A well studied but not yet successful screenwriter told me he was taught it was reasonable to assume an audience could suspend belief twice before the eye rolls start. I am not sure if this count includes overarching issues like the general existence of zombies, walkers, biters or/and skinbags. The premise seems pretty reasonable.

Let's face it very few people examine shows this closely most are happy with the highlights and puchlines. Those people have a name Nofun. Over the top car chase scenes are great and believable enough to be exciting but you cannot believe the drivers are all blind. I do not know about the power grids, military patches and so I do not have to suspend belief for those details to hang with the show. Though it is fun to examine afterward. However I have known people most of my life and can detect more accurately when they are not believable or too over the top which is where the show really falls down for me and then the non human inconsistencies start to loom larger.

16. o1pickleboy

o1pickleboy Member

I was going more in how they matched up in roles not personalities.

17. Eternal

Eternal Member

I can agree that out of the two, Madison has the potential to break out of being in the boring category. Travis is just.. I'm not feeling him right now at all.

18. dhdhdh33

dhdhdh33 Member

He might pick up some having seen the gunshots at the end of the show it seemed to really shock him. But I would put my money on Maddie too. All the actors are doing a good job I hope they get more to work with this week.

19. westwingnut

Travis is the (dun-dun-dun) Moral Center of the show.

20. shhh its me

shhh its me Member

I reject your list

Travis = Herschel (NO guns! they might still be alive) with a hint of Lorri for letting his EX cause soooo much trouble. OK Herschel was season 2 but come on give it to me, no? ok someone from season 1 ...of the cast I'd say he is the closest of any of them to Dale but he's no Dale.
    Daniel = Shane and possibly Daryl too
    Liza= Carl in season 2 (she tends to wander off :zombies_lol:) Lorri cause she manages to F up the simplest task
    Alicia = Carol she babysits Nick an has had some tragedy pre ZA , has the potential to either become a badass( TV Carol) or opt out(Comic Carol)
    Madison= Andrea and more then a little Shane
    Ofelia= if I had to pick someone from the first season Sophia but I don't think she has a match. Maybe Andrea's sister
    Chris= Glenn , still trying to help and rescue people
    Nick= T Dog ,cause not enough T dog !!! Jenner cause he is the barer of bad news? Like Ofelia Nick doesn't have a clear = yet
    Andrew who the hell is Andrew?