Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

FTWD Criticisms and Complaints

Discussion in 'Fear The Walking Dead Television Series' started by westwingnut, May 25, 2015.

1. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

Like starting the show off at some tropical island with the survivors having built a full 5 acre Robinson Crusoe fort and palisade with Strand's yacht floating tranquilly offshore? I hope not. Having some sort of adventure getting to and on the boat would be more entertaining, although I'm more than willing to NOT see them just driving in the boat for several episodes.

2. Kilroy was here

Kilroy was here Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

3. Pogo the Possum

Pogo the Possum Active Member

They'll probably get to the ship with minor difficulties, but boarding will be a problem. Either the skeleton crew has turned, or there are potential hijackers to deal with.

4. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

I think they will set sail on a fateful trip... a 3 hour tour.

5. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

A Three Hour Tour!

Thanks Little Buddy.

6. Left4Jess

Left4Jess New Member

Fear TWD is a bit slow. I get that it is the beginning of everything, and the finale definitely was good! I am not attached to the main cast just yet, so hopefully things will pick up.

7. taco_lips

taco_lips Member

i continue to find the polarizing nature of this show fascinating.

particularly how disconnected people feel to the characters. watching TWD S6E1 last night i was once again reminded why i find the show so lackluster. i like glenn. i like daryl. rick vacillates between insufferable and semi-okay. i can barely give a fig about any of the other characters. makes for a slow slog.

with FTWD, i immediately connected to nick, madison has grown on me, travis is growing on me, and i thought all of the salazars were intriguing (rip griselda). i'm on the fence about strand, but i don't not like him. and okay, the rest can be zombie chum as far as i'm concerned. but the point is, i'm interested in their journey and in them as characters, which is not something i have ever really been able to say about the original show.

the writing has been inconsistent and some of the characters have done some spectacularly stupid things (even given their crisis circumstances), but for the moment i'm looking forward to the boat, to the next steps for the clark/manawas, and to Alicia getting sacrificed early on in the second season (oh please).

8. Shane357

Shane357 Active Member

If you think about it, the "bad guys" (aka the military)aren't really that terrible.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they don't seem to be abusing or taking advantage of anyone; they're just doing their job - clearing certain areas of the city and erecting defensive perimeters around those areas. Providing food, medical assistance , and electricity so people can live their happy lives while the military guys are trying to clean LA.

Ok, sure, they're rude but
    That said, I'm not afraid to admit that I do like the show. I can't think of a reason that justifies the above spoiler, but you can probably try and convince me that there are some justifiable reasons. :p

9. Z-Man

Z-Man Well-Known Member

The only one was paranoia brought on by Daniel's urgings. He has put the fear of El Salvador into our survivors. This was, in reality, necessary although only Daniel would have had the life experience to pass on those concerns. If it were coming from anyone else I would say it was entirely unneeded, but Daniel knows the signs to look for.

10. conorbhoy1967

conorbhoy1967 New Member

Circumstances like so much of the American army being based overseas in the likes of Iraq and Afghanistan. So, having to spread out different units all over the U.S itself would lead to junior officers leading different units

11. br0k3n

br0k3n Member

This is a critique thread, so I'll confess to really disliking the Travis male lead. His whole anti-gun, anti-confrontation vibe makes me think less of him as a man. I'm hoping this is intentional and we will see changes in his character development now that his fantasy bubble got popped.

12. Toothpick

Toothpick Well-Known Member

I finally got the chance to binge watch all 6eps today and I have to say I undecided about the show mainly due to the main characters being so annoying and unlikeable the exception being Nick he's supposed to be the most dysfunctional but he's the most adaptable and prepared for the nature of life during the outbreak. Maddy is insufferably needy and a truly awful mother constantly holding the group up by running off to do stupid things. Travis is a wimp. I like Daniel , he's under no illusions about what they will have to do to remain alive.
    like others I found the time jump a bit jarring, suddenly the neighbourhood is under martial law, the national guard seem to be very unprofessional, that soldier getting it on with ofelia instead of answering the radio in the middle of a national state of emergency was just stupid and unbelievable, oh wait, it's a plot device.

things went very slowly in ep 1 but it was still good to see how things fell apart in the big urban areas and how people were so unprepared for this scale of crisis, by then I'd decided that I couldn't stand the main family group but I did want to continue with the show, by ep 3 I was hooked.
    i would welcome less Maddy and travis and less of the running around being clueless and the shouting in the next season.

13. LMT

LMT Member

I really wanted to love this show, but I have a hard time losing myself in it, like with TWD. Mostly I guess I'm just not invested in the characters. I must say though, the season premier was better than most of last season. I will press on. There are a couple of characters who I could become invested in...

14. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger New Member

I have been trying to get invested in this spin off, or prequel, or whatever you want to call it, but the characters are WEAK. I don't know about others, but for me, it's hard to re-visit the stupidity of characters that should be in survivor mode. Even with the Walking Dead, it bothers me that characters continue to revisit mistakes regarding trusting people.

Maybe it's because I've watched the characters on the Walking Dead make their mistakes already- so I'm watching from a vantage point where I'm already familiar with their predicament, and what's to come.

The biggest disappointment for me in The Walking Dead was watching Darryl blindly trust Dwight after being through everything he'd been through. It's an apocalypse! Trust no one!

To watch these people struggle with their morality (which I know is the point, but it's hard to watch) when they should be in survivor mode, is frustrating.

Travis has to go- preferably when trying to help someone that he places blind trust in.

I'm not sure why AMC decided to go with a prequel. I'd much rather jump ahead or to a parallel story line- where things are harsher, people are colder.

I'm not opposed to the origins story line- but for crying out loud- couldn't they have cast more interesting characters?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Sarah-kate

Sarah-kate Member

I tried soooo many times to like this show, even when i was bored and my mind was wandering I struck with it... Until halfway through season 2, I gave up. I couldn't get into it, the characters aren't likeable and the plot boring and slow. I tried to disconnect it from TWD but just couldn't the two are like Primark verses Chanel and TWD is superior. It's saving grace is Nick but the others have to go... Have a cross over and bring Nick to TWD... Everything... Get on the yacht and sail away.

16. John

John Member

So I'm one of those people who would watch a new episode every week of TWD/FTWD/?TWD - whatever name it comes out under - all year long. Everyone in the house knows Sunday evening after 6 PM leave John alone while he and the cats watch the stupid show about dead people in the basement.

I swear the cats are better company than the humans....

So S1 I didn't mind how it started - it was the very beginning after all. But the time jump gave off the wrong vibe; why say were going to see the start of it all and then just gloss over the vast majority of it.... I know the characters were living a sheltered fantasy thinking the army/guard was kicking ass and chewing bubblegum, but as a viewer, I feel we needed to see more than just a hint of the process of collapse. The end of S1 brought everything home and it looked like the show was heading into S2 under full power ahead.

The first half of S2 was actually good in my books. Not a huge set of walker encounters mainly due to being in isolated locales, fighting off people looking to take advantage of the situation. I found this mostly believable. The break comes with an unbelievably stupid/retarded/unadvised splintering of the group - right after they have seen ~ 7 episodes where everything is telling them they need numbers acting in co-operation/concert to survive.

Asinine. Simply asinine.

Now, I can clearly see the idea is to give each of the characters opportunity to develop/shine on their own before bringing everyone back together (S2E15 perhaps?), but really it doesn't pass the smell test IMO.

The back half has felt quite rudderless. I see the character development, but it feels like they forgot that Mexico should be absolutely teeming with the infected, not just one here and there that you drive past in the wilderness, or see as a blur in the distance. Plus they killed off (?) one of the most interesting characters in the MSF to boot.

Elsewhere I remarked that it is like they wanted to go through a crash course in character development but forgot to be entertaining in the way that the franchise is expected to be from past viewer experience. This is perhaps similar to TWD's S2 where behind the scenes shenanigans were taking place that seemed to affect the on screen product, but in retrospect it was good development for the characters that survived going forward.

I still watch every week, but I've got this feeling that they're missing the mark a little bit, IMO, especially in the back 1/2 of the season. I wonder were E14 and E15 always meant to be shown back-to-back like they're going to be, or was this a change made along the way?

• Like Like x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
  17. bassetluv

bassetluv Active Member

I must say, when FTWD first came out I was hoping it would be better. I kept saying, give it a chance, and I did think that it would get better...but honestly, I now find that I don't care if it ever comes back on. The one major problem (for me) is absolute lack of any connection to the main characters. With TWD, the characters are likeable (or hateable in an amazing way), and the audience seems to connect with them very easily. With FTWD, the most I can muster over any of the characters (now that Daniel is gone) is an unenthusiastic 'meh'. I did like Travis in the beginning, and Nick off and on, but that has fallen by the wayside.

Will I watch it when it comes back on? If nothing else is on at the same time, I might turn it on, but unless something changes, I won't be following this one any more.

P.S. John, great post! ;)

• Like Like x 1