Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Gabe's Decision

Discussion in 'Episode 1008 - The World Before' started by Neuropyramidal, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

I wonder if the council or the community would now insist on their whatever charter and arrest Gabe for murder and have him on trial...lol

• Like Like x 1
  2. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

Like I see that happening, lol

3. purriwinkle

You are so right that the situation is not clear cut. I’m all for establishing laws for people of good will to be governed by. However, when you have an opposing group that would destroy everything you’ve worked so hard for, would kill your loved ones and friends, would erase your very existence for some half baked code that doesn’t value life you have to rise up to protect yourselves.

What makes this dystopian universe different from normal is the obvious presence of the undead. They’re always going to be a threat that has to be contained and at this time they out number the living. With limited resources, it’s hard to fight two fronts if you end up confronting a dangerous group of living people. You can’t always be magnanimous. If Gabe was technically wrong in his actions, I believe the people will be willing to cut him some slack and overlook the technicalities.

We have yet to see whether or not the decision to imprison Negan rather than execute him was a good idea. Right now he’s sitting with the enemy. If he comes through for Alexandria, there will no doubt be further discussion on how to handle hostile leaders and their followers in the future, but can you really see Alpha sitting down there in that holding cell? You’d have to have her trussed up like Hannibal Lecter, lol.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Bingo! That primitive level is what civilization seeks to rise above. Precisely because each person's primitive level is different. Its the same reason why a cop can't kill the murderer of his cousin in the backseat of his police car, or a terrorist can't be snuffed out by his prison guard. There has to be order to how they do things, they can't say "well, in extreme cases, we can poo poo the laws we've made". Lots of things are extreme from somebody's perspective. That's why they have laws.

#44 Neuropyramidal, Nov 29, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Neuropyramidal

That doesn't mean a random person should enter the prisoner's cell to murder them. Dante isn't a threat in his cell. The code is 'half baked' now? Rising up to protect yourself would be better served by having the existing laws take care of the problem in appropriate fashion. A trial and execution.

#45 Neuropyramidal, Nov 29, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  6. purriwinkle

First off, he wasn’t a random person but a member of the governing council. Personally, I would have loved to see a public execution but a trial to determine guilt or innocence was not needed. The prisoner plead guilty and ideally he should have been sentenced to death as an appropriate punishment for his crimes against the community by the whole council. Oh, well.

I also love that our groups are trying to return to some sort of normalcy in their lives but it’ll be a long time before they get back to what was, if they ever can because the world has changed.

Having said that, I rather miss the days of Rick and his “I already made you a promise” slash Gareth and his Termites times. The Wild West, perhaps, but there are still people out there that deserve to be eliminated one way or the other, charters and laws be damned, if humanity is to survive.

7. Neuropyramidal

Well, if we are throwing out the rules that the governing council has put in place, then it doesn't matter whether he is a member of the governing council or not. He's just a rogue person going into the cell and killing him.

Yes, again, he needed to be executed. But not randomly, and in secret. That's not what they are striving for.

8. purriwinkle

How do we know he broke council rules? Could be he informed the others of his plans and they gave him the nod. They wouldn’t show the audience because they wouldn’t want to spoil what was a genuine shocking moment.

The body had to be dragged out of the cell to the area where they burned him. That isn’t something that could be done in secret as Dante was a large man and a pyre had to be built. Gabe and Rosita seemed at peace watching the flames. They weren’t looking over their shoulders waiting to be taken into custody.

That tells me the community was on board with what happened because they either felt Dante deserved what he got or perhaps they wanted him to disappear so Alpha would not find out what happened to him creating plausible deniability.

9. Neuropyramidal

Well now you are kind of stretching things and creating your own narrative to make things acceptable. It really makes no sense that the council would officially give this a go, and then do it rogue/secret style. Sending one person [Gabe?] in there to do it assassin style, with multiple knife stabbings even long after they were necessary? lol No, this was Gabe acting alone, out of anger on behalf of Rosita, for the loss of her child's father. This was an act of passion and emotion, you only have to watch the scene to understand that.

10. purriwinkle

Of course, it was a “crime” of passion, lol, and I was rationalizing but what I said about the after math had to be correct because Gabe’s not in that jail cell, now is he. The rest of the council must have looked the other way.

11. Neuropyramidal

The aftermath is the aftermath. That doesn't change that this was a crime of passion, with Gabe acting alone. Of course this wasn't planned by the council lol. Yes Gabe should have been punished. The council looked the other way, but as the old saying goes, two wrongs don't make a right, and two wright's sometimes make an airplane ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

Not sure how they're going to explain it to the people in Alexandria either. They might just say he tried to escape and Gabriel stopped him. People probably wouldn't believe that Gabe just went into the cell and executed him, so they could pull that off.

13. purriwinkle

I really don’t think they’re going to have to do much explaining once it becomes known Dante was a Whisperer spy who tainted their water supply which made their friends and family sick and to their knowledge killed Cheryl. They’ve already had to live with the sorrow over the deaths of their loved ones who were piked at the border.

The fact that the threat has been removed is going to be such a relief, after the shock of realizing they let this skin bastard treat them and their family, knowing now that he could have also hurt them at any time and they would have been none the wiser, will give them pause to reflect. Add to that, when told he killed their only “real” doctor and friend Siddiq I think there will be some who wished they could have done the deed themselves.

There is no direct parallel between their lives before the ZA and now. While they have tried to establish a modicum of government and rules that echo what they knew, they haven’t got the resources, time, or even desire to give every dangerous maladaptive creep out there their “due process” according to the old world. Dante was guilty of murder. He turned out to be one of the enemy who was hurting the community. Gabe avenged his “family”. I’m sure that was case closed for the people of Alexandria.

• Like Like x 1
  14. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

Which reminds me, what was the point in killing Cheryl?

15. purriwinkle

My thoughts are that Dante killed Cheryl, who I think was actually going to recover, to discourage Siddiq by making him think that people were dying no matter what interventions he tried. You see, Siddiq was making headway and Dante couldn’t have that. Cheryl was by herself in that upstairs bedroom so she was an easy mark.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

It also instills more fear and paranoia in Alexandria with him killing her. People would believe others could die from the illness.

• Agree Agree x 2