Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Game of Thrones(SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Television Shows' started by Killermolls, May 17, 2012.

1. HungryZombie

HungryZombie Active Member

This forum really needs a facepalm emoji

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

I have to agree. If cruelty and ruthlessness were the benchmarks of “madness” the whole of Westeros would be considered Crazy Town, lol. No one was more ruthless than Tywin Lannister. What do people think The Rains of Castamere is all about? Tywin killed everyone in that family to the last man. They had only to play the song afterwards to any one the Lannister’s thought were getting uppity and they got the message to step down. They played the song at the Red Wedding as I recall while the Starks were being slaughtered.
    I’d say the Boltons come in as a close second and you could go on from there.

It’s funny. My husband usually doesn’t like to discuss television shows, hence why I’m here, lol. He actually asked me what the chatter was about the episode where Dany burns KL. I remarked that most people thought that that was a sign she had finally gone “mad”, especially after they surrendered and she continued to burn the city. He said he wasn’t surprised. He told me of the Roman term “murum aries attigit” which translates to “the ram has touched the wall”. You may know about this but I didn’t. It meant that surrender would be accepted before battle but not after the battering ram had touched the enemies city walls. The Romans followed this principle often in their sieges although they might round up women and children survivors and sell them into slavery. Dany wasn’t necessarily “mad” she was following Roman battle tactics, lol.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. BlackBird

BlackBird Well-Known Member

I enjoyed reading your alternative story board for S8.
    I agree with this crucial point. The whole setup of the series was this huge impending threat, and much as it was physical, it was also a metaphorical: death comes to us all, so why on earth people can't prioritise way better than they do?

I agree that the final battle with the NK should have been at KL, and Bran should have been the one to kill him (amidst some spectacular worging) with help from Jon. And then the the survivors could have sat down on the ruins of KL to elect the new ruler. Just ordering things differently.

• Like Like x 4
  5. BlackBird

Much as I loved Jon Snow and found the end of his story utterly depressing, with no rewards whatsoever for all the amazing things he's done... if you think about the irony of his situation: the true heir to the throne of Westeros who has done the most heroic things to protect its people, ends up discarded in exile... becomes a wildling... it's so bad it’s almost good.:D

#8005 BlackBird, May 22, 2019
    Last edited: May 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  6. BlackBird

And also ironically, Dany did manage to break the wheel.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

Meh. It’s where he wanted to be. @zombiemom62 convinced me last night, if you look back at episode 4 when Tormund and Jon said their goodbyes, it foreshadows Jon’s home being North of The Wall. I don’t even see him in exile. Although I wanted him to be King, I see this as where Jon and Ghost need to be.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. PepperAnn

9. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

I don’t think he’ll be unhappy there and it beats being executed or confined to a cell for the rest of his life. There’s no longer any need for the Nights Watch since the NK is no more and the Wildlings are allies. It’s pretty much serving as the Westeros version of Siberia now but if another little Wildling girl decides she wants Jon who the hell will be any wiser if he decides to set up house with her(provided Bran doesn’t tell on him)? Even so no one would have the balls or desire to go after him into the vast Northern unknown, IMO. With Tormund and Jon riding together, I thought, there go two fine men *sigh* Almost makes you want to go North yourself, lol. F**k Westeros.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

I haven't seen anyone criticize the acting, sound, set design and costumes for the series. All of that was top notch. The visuals were too aside from the dark Winterfell battle, but that was more of a decision from the showrunners anyway. The rest of the cinematography was good.

The petition is about the writers. They had an A team in every other department but they were all forced to work with a high school level script.

Besides if you are in a public profession you have to be able to take the jeers along with the cheers. It's not the fans that destroyed the legacy of the series; it's Benioff and Weiss that did it. And people aren't going to "kinda forget."

• Like Like x 4
  11. Stealth

There was a discussion earlier about this so I won't go into all of that again. I think the action itself of burning the city down after the surrender was insane, but that was out of character for Dany

Emilia Clarke herself said that "It came out of F'n nowhere." She was greatly disturbed by what they did to her character, and she's right to feel that way. Dany was not capable of reaching the levels of Ramsay, Joffrey etc, let alone end up being the worst person in the series, capable of committing genocide. That's just idiotic. In the end they made her more destructive than the Night King.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. southernlady

southernlady Well-Known Member

This is an excellent point. I think what Dany wanted to achieve WAS good. She really did want to make the world a better place. I have a hard time with the way D&D went from 0 to 60 in under 10 seconds with the way her character ended. As we have all said many times, they rushed the last two season rather than letting the story unfold as it should have.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Stealth

Yes, King's Landing should've been the final battle against the NK because he was built up since Season 5 as the ultimate threat. They should've had them lose the battle of Winterfell and fall back on KL. Needing that defensive position they'd then be forced to take Cersei out since she would refuse to help them. This would be where Arya's skills would come in. You get her into the city and finish Cersei off.

Since they wanted to devastate King's Landing you have the Night King do this. Dany sacrifices herself during that battle. Jon kills the NK. He doesn't want to be king and then they just let each kingdom rule themselves.

Another smaller point about how idiotic the ending was is that KL was one big graveyard at the end of episode 5 but they're making it the capitol again.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Agreeing with @Jama ....... TWICE!!!!!?????!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

You have no idea the wheels you have set in motion!!!!!
    [​IMG]

As if he wasn't "extra" enough!!!!
    [​IMG]

#8014 Dnae, May 22, 2019
    Last edited: May 22, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 4
  15. Stealth

And put a worse wheel in place. A monarchy in that world that is setup without an heir is a realm that will have a war for succession.

But then in the finale we had all the kingdoms ridiculously showing unanimity for the decision to make a Three Eyed Raven king. The Iron Islands had a previous deal with Dany to rule themselves but now Yara is cool with a new king. Dorne wouldn't go along with this either. Aegon couldn't even get them to bend the knee and they finally came into the realm due to marriage. And in recent years they've had all their leaders killed in KL, but they don't want independence either, even though the North receives it. The whole thing is ludicrous.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Stealth

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
  17. PepperAnn

I'm still mad they never gave Arya another chance to wear a face. :mad::mad::mad:

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

Drogon could take Dany to another one of those red priestesses who then brings Dany back to life in the sequel.

• Funny Funny x 3
  19. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

I wish I could wear different faces. I would go the expensive restaurants, pig out on the most expensive items , say I will pay my bill after going to restroom. Then change faces in restroom and leave without paying. Had Ha every week same thing new faces.

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

I didnt like that Jon was forced to take the black. I would have been happier if he was offered the throne but abdicated like the old blind guy at nightwatch (I forget his name) and chose to go north to live. Tyrion prodded Jon into killing Dany and then threw him under the bus like he did Varys. Tyrion ended up with the job he loves that has status and power . He is already making jokes and soon will be drinking wine and boinking prostitutes, living the high life.
    I rationalize that Jon may be happy with the wildlings because I am sure they are grateful he got them out of Hardhome. As far as I know ,he enjoyed his time living up there primarily because he loved Ygritte not because of the wilding culture ,the weather or pleasant surroundings. It wasnt like he was Fletcher Christian who stumbled across a paradise with pleasant weather, people with friendly customs, plenty of tasty fruit and foods readily available and lack of dangerous predatory animals roaming around(and if into bird-watching plenty of Boobies to see).

• Like Like x 2