Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Gate Guards at Hilltop

Discussion in 'Episode 611 - Knots Untie' started by ChrisQ, Feb 29, 2016.

1. ChrisQ

ChrisQ Member

OK - I get that the people of Hilltop have run out of ammo and have been forced to rely on primitive weapons. But the idea that the guards are going to protect the gates with spears from an inside and elevated position is ridiculous. If a guard hurls their spear down on invader they might be lucky and hit just one - but at that point they've tossed away their only weapon.

Haven't these people heard of bows & arrows?

2. DGribble19

DGribble19 Member

Hahaha I know, it was especially ridiculous considering the fact that the group they were aiming caveman spears at had assault rifles

3. lovethishow

lovethishow Member

Jesus did mention that nobody really knew how to defend themselves....

4. Adam Poole

Adam Poole Member

Well they do have more than one spear with them. I counted four additional spears propped up in their perch other than the ones that were being held. But point taken, bow and arrow is much better. Jesus said that they only ran out of ammo three months prior. So I don't think they've given their defenses much thought since then and I'm guessing that is because security is an afterthought with Negan in the mix. Its like a mafia boss keeping everyone in check. Settlements won't in-fight because Negan wouldn't like it. And they clearly aren't going to stand up to Negan themselves.

5. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

There's a scene in The Last Emperor where the emperor's Chinese guards have their guns taken away by the occupying/supporting Japanese troops and are given spears instead. My mind flashed to that while I was watching the episode.

6. Ricktatorship80

Bunch of spear chunkers....should just go to the local Bass Pro Shops and get some bow and arrows.

7. Adam Poole

Adam Poole Member

After looking again it seems they have multiple spears with a straight blade for throwing and then one spear with a curved blade that they keep. The blacksmith was also in the process of making lots more.

8. mfinley

mfinley Member

Are they out of ammo and don't have the brains to find some more?

I figure they didn't have any guns because Negan had forbid them from having any.

9. Walking Wounded

You'd think that Negan just took all of their guns and ammo.

10. John from Hemet

John from Hemet New Member

Perhaps there were more spears on the wall that were not seen......

Throw one

Pick up another

11. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

Well defence is obviously their biggest weakness, which is why Negan is able to intimidate them for food and resources in return for their "protection," and why Rick and aMaggie were able to strike a deal to take care of Negan in exchange for goods.

Rick has a well armed community full of people who know how to defend themselves, but they're lacking a solid source of supplies. The Hilltop is self-sufficient, with crops, supplies and people to help maintain it, but they're lacking weapons and fighters.

Hence the spears. They're the best they have, and Negan keeps their community clear for the most part anyway.

12. TurdFerguson

TurdFerguson Member

They should have just thrown rocks hee hee

13. hellbunny

hellbunny Member

[​IMG]

14. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

Negan is the force in the area and Hilltop is already subservient to him. It's so bad that one of Gregory's own people came back to stab him for Negan. Aside from Jesus they're pretty inept, even worse than the people in Alexandria were. Aside from some stray people here and there the only larger group they've dealt with is Negan and he's the one giving them "protection."