Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

George A. Romero's Empire of the Dead

Discussion in 'Comic Books' started by Agramer, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Agramer

Agramer Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Plot:

"ZOMBIE GODFATHER GEORGE ROMERO UNLEASHES HIS NEXT UNDEAD EPIC—AS AN ALL-NEW MARVEL COMIC! Welcome to New York City years after the undead plague has erupted—but just because Manhattan has been quarantined, don't think that everyone inside is safe! Not only do flesh-eaters roam within Manhattan, but there's another ancient predator about to take a bite out of the Big Apple!"

Anyone read this? I read the first issue today and I gotta say that it's not bad. Of course, I expected to be more like his legendary Dead trilogy (Night, Dawn and Day), combined into a comic.

For those who want know the plot of issue 02... (a little bit surprising)

2. GreekSalads

GreekSalads Active Member

Vampires?

Whaaa......

3. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

AMC recently announced that it has picked up an adaptation of this series, likely to begin airing in 2016. I just read the first two issues online for fun. Seems decent so far. Definitely a different feel than TWD. You can see Romero in it for sure.

4. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

Kinda scared if they get Romero involved for writing or directing. He created this genre and some of my all time favorite films but his recent efforts haven't been up to par.

He's slipped in his elder years, but if he can somehow recapture the magic of Night, Dawn, and Day, I would be thoroughly surprised and relieved.

5. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

I thought about collecting this series, but then I missed the first few issues, so I didn't. And then every time I saw a new issue sitting on a rack, I thought I should buy it, and then go about tracking down the back issues while they were still fairly recent, but I didn't. Another poor life choice on my part.

6. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I just finished the first 5 issues [Act One]. The plot is just starting to get a little complex and interesting. It doesn't rival TWD by any means, but its not a bad little story so far. There are differing levels of intelligence in the zombies, that seems to range from TWD-like up to zombies that can understand English and be friends with humans. There is also vampires, but not in a cartoonish way.

7. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

I can't believe you're still reading this, because I know how much you love talking zombies. :zombies_lol:

I checked out the first few pages of the first issue today. I got as far as the zombies playing checkers and wondered if that was too cheese, even for me. But I'll continue tomorrow.

8. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

I've been trying to read this on my lunch hour, but not getting very far each day before I'm interrupted. I'm still only on issue 4.

I like it okay so far, but I can't accept the creatures as "zombies." Some other type of undead "stinker"...yes, sure. I like the idea of zombies doing repetitive tasks out of muscle memory, like that one in the first issue that was sweeping the floor, and even mumbling incoherently trying to form dimly remembered words. But a zombie being able to reason just seems really wrong. I will keep reading to see where it goes.

9. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

I've started Act 2 now. The artist is different. The characters look much more cartoonish, and at first I had trouble recognizing some of them. I liked the Act 1 artwork better. It was creepy and set the tone for the story better, imo.