Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Glen's dead, here's why

Discussion in 'Episode 616 - Last Day on Earth' started by Kyle Wheeler, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Kyle Wheeler

Kyle Wheeler New Member

1. The final episode was titled "Last Day on Earth". The episode starts and ends with a first person view. This episode is showing someones 'last day on earth'. This means the person who dies is either Daryl, Glen, Michonne, or Rosita as they were the four in the van.

2. The death cannot be Daryl. Everything in the final shows set you up to think it was Daryl. He is the red herring. Further, he has unfinished business with the one savior who he 'should have killed'. In writing, you never have a hero with unfinished business die in that way...giving the villain the last laugh. Daryl is safe.

3. It won't be Rosita. In my opinion, she is more of a minor character. I think the writers know that killing her off would be a major 'cop out'. They need Negan to kill a major character. Her death would also not really affect anyone except, maybe, Abe. It won't be Rosita.

4. Abraham has struggled with wanting to live for a while. What is there to live for. He finally got boosted by the fact that Glen and Maggie were brave enough to have a kid. This fed him, he thrived off of this and it looks like he decided hed be willing to have kids. Now...yank out that rug. Maggie loses the kid (can't have more babys on the show) and Glen gets his face bashed in...all of that hope that Abraham built up is now ripped away in one night.

5. Could it be Michonne? yes...it could. It would set Rick off for sure. But this would be Rick's third girlfriend. No...the repetitiveness get stale. They won't just keep repeating the same exact story with him. Rick needs someone to worry about and be close to so the writers can show he's still human.

6. This leaves Glen...a super long term character from episode 1. His death will make a huge impact. Especially since he's been narrowly dodging death over and over and over. He is the only one left from the back of the van. And, he's a tough motherf.... kid. He killed a zombie with his arms literally tied up to a chair. Glen can certainly take it a bat hit...and this surprises Negan (hence the 'you can take it' comment) since Glen is small. Everyone knows Abraham could take a hit...Negan wouldn't be shocked by him taking it...Abraham is safe, this is another red herring.

R.I.P. Glen

2. Guitarman23

Guitarman23 Member

Not to nit pick but it's Glenn, not Glen. More importantly, according to your logic, Glenn has some of the most unfinished business you can have, a baby on the way. I still think it's probably Glenn, but not based on your criteria.

3. Kyle Wheeler

Kyle Wheeler New Member

Thats not quite the same. Im saying movie/tv writers do not let the bad guys win. Glenn's baby has nothing to do with badguys. Daryl has a personal quest to make up for the mistake of letting Dwight live. To make things worse (and more in favor of Daryl being alive), Dwight taunted, ambushed, shot, and captured Daryl. No writer would then kill Daryl off and let the bad guy totally win like that. Killing off a parent is something that always happens, it expands on a story and breaks no writing rules. Heck, Carl's mother is dead.

Daryl is safe.

4. Adam Poole

Adam Poole Member

I'm with you but I think there's more. Unless the entire episode is a cheap smokescreen, the victim has to be from the inside of the RV (Glenn, Rosita, Daryl, or Michonne) because of the POV shot. In the POV shot right before the doors open you can clearly see the top of Daryl's head, so that takes him out of the equation. Unless I missing something there has only ever been one other scene where we have seen a POV shot, and that was when Glenn watched Nicholas shoot himself. In that scene he also got that ear ringing sound just like when Negan hits him with the bat. There's an isolated audio track of the victim after getting hit and it sure sounds like Glenn but at least sounds very much like a male, which would rule out Rosita and Michonne.

Not that this means anything but there has been lots of foreshadowing about Glenn getting the bat. Glenn holds a bat while at Noah's town and he is the one that almost gets hit with the bat at Terminus before Carol saves them. He also is the one that saw the pictures of Negan's victims and that came right after he killed his first person. Maggie cutting her hair saying that she can't let anything hold her back...

#4 Adam Poole, Apr 12, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  5. Biffster

Biffster Well-Known Member

Michonne is safe, but not for the reason that you gave. She came into this apocalypse of her own accord and established herself as a formidable force long before she became "Rick's girlfriend." Plus, I just don't see Negan killing a female, at least not yet. It's Glenn, Daryl or Abe, and my money's on Abe, with Glenn in second place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Biffster

Biffster Well-Known Member

Plus there's the whole "Glenn gets hit with the bat" thing from the comics.

7. TheSlayingTaco1

TheSlayingTaco1 Well-Known Member

I 100% agree and Glenn wears a baseball like hat in the comics too!

8. DeadReckoning

DeadReckoning Member

The Usual Suspects, Seven, Silence Of The Lambs, No Country For Old Men, Fight Club, Empire Strikes Back (I admit this is a fake-out), Ocean's 11-13?14??, Breaking Bad

9. Mr Bag

Mr Bag Member

They couldn't just show his death in the finale because people would've complained about it being too predictable. This way there's still some suspense until his death is confirmed next season. RIP Glenn.

10. jojo

jojo Member

Here's an example of another POV shot it's been used more than once. This one happens to be Daryl in (Always Accountable)
    https://youtu.be/6wEVwv_blBk

11. Monitor Man

Monitor Man Member

Its not going to be either Glenn or Daryl. Neither of them had enough screen time and closure for any big death.

And BTW for the people that keep on bringing up the the 'POV" thing. The idea that it belongs to any of the characters in the van is just a fan theory, and a very bad one at that. The reality is that it's just the VIEWERS' POV to make it more immersive for us and for us to feel like we're there.

#11 Monitor Man, Apr 12, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  12. Adam Poole

Adam Poole Member

Thanks.

13. Adam Poole

Adam Poole Member

That's pretty much ridiculous. Look the POV thing could be a red herring to throw us off but clearly that shot in the RV is supposed to be one of the characters. Its a true POV shot meaning that it implies you are looking out of someone's eyes. It fades in and out of clarity both visually and with the audio. You hear the person breathing, etc... I have never heard of a shot that places the viewer themselves in a POV shot as if they were sitting next to one of the characters, but not supposed to be one of the characters. A shot where you hear yourself breathing even though you aren't part of the story. That wouldn't make things more immersive it would be an example of breaking the fourth wall which by definition destroys immersion.

In the end it might not matter whose POV we got in those shots and it was just intended to be ambiguous. But that wasn't me breathing heavy and struggling to see anymore than it was me that got hit with a bat, it was one of the characters.

#13 Adam Poole, Apr 12, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  14. ZombieAndTeal

ZombieAndTeal Member

I firmly believe that Negans victim experienced their 'last day on earth' in that van, and the abe/Eugene stuff was a red herring. And I agree that rosita would be totes underwhelming - however I did just watch a YouTube video where someone suggested that both michonne and rosita got killed because negan audibly swung the bat so many more times than in the comic! :zombies_shocked:

15. Walker97

Walker97 Active Member

this has been my biggest reason to believe it was someone OUTSIDE the van...and Most likely Abe, but outside chance it is Eugene.

I think Abe was set up well in this episode, saying his good byes, talking about his hope, being strong for the group...

At one point he even said something about taking out every last one of them...

I guess they are getting what they want, because I keep talking about it, but I think it is really either Abe or Glenn.

16. calliope

calliope Active Member

I hear what you're saying, but I think that it's the buildup of Abe and Eugene that is the red herring. I do believe that the victim was in the van--mostly likely Glenn, but I don't think we can rule out Michonne.

I'm guessing that we see the 'Last Day' story from the perspective of the van group in the premier, giving whomever the victim is the buildup that they deserve, culminating once again with the Negan scene.

17. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

That's a pretty good idea. A whole episode that focuses on the interaction between Negan and the van group would be highly engaging.

Right up to the cliffhanger.

18. Kyle Wheeler

Kyle Wheeler New Member

Ive heard the 'won't kill a female' argument. But I know nothing of the comics so I rule that out. Another reason I believe Michonne is safe, and I hesitate to bring it up, is because she's black. We live in a society where writers have to be mindful of minorities. They've already killed off 3+ 'main black characters'. I don't think Heath is built up enough yet to replace Michonne as the token minority.

If I had to pick a second choice behind Glenn, however, it would be Michonne hands down.

I must not be explaining myself well. There is a difference between the villian being a main star that you are rooting for (breaking bad) or a main supporting character that isn't the "true villain" (silence of the lambs). In Silence of the Lambs, if Hannibal had killed Clarice's family and/or raped her...he would not have survived. He didn't, he killed some extras and supported in capturing the real badguy (the creepy serial killer).

In the case of walking dead, this guy betrayed Daryl. Then murdered the doctor with Daryls weapon. Then taunted Daryl. Then shot and captured Daryl. These are several strikes against a main character that need to be resolved before Daryl can die.

The 'bad guy winning' doesn't count when the bad guy is the star. Lol.

Also, Abe being set up is what makes him a red herring. And the fact that it ends with the statement that "you can take it". This is another big thing meant to point you to Abe. In essence, everyone thought Abe immediately at the end of the episode. Its too easy of an answer. Abe, at this point, has more to lose by living than by dying.

19. Walker97

Walker97 Active Member

If they kill Glenn at the end of that debacle of a story line, as his Season 6 story line sucked, fans are going to be really pissed. Especially since he was hardly in the last episode. Not that the writers care about that...

20. Viki

Viki Member

Maybe the clue is (regarding the POV shot) we see the top of Daryls head, maybe it's a hint to say it's his head that gets bashed in :(