Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

"Good people are the first ones to die."

Discussion in 'Episode 103 - The Dog' started by and138, Sep 13, 2015.

1. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

When Daniel Salazar says this near the end of the episode, I thought it was a neat thematic parallel to the main show.

His character description says he escaped the '80s civil war in El Salvador, which explains why he's more mentally prepared for the apocalypse than the others. How do you think he'll be an asset to the group?

Also, what other themes do you think will be carried over from the main show?

2. jeebs

jeebs Well-Known Member

I did like the nod to Carol when he said that burning the body would stop the spread of infection.

3. Spidey

Spidey Active Member

He's the new shane!

4. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

He is the new Shane, and Travis is the west coast version of Dale

5. CSFurious

CSFurious Member

Salazar is not Shane, i.e., i do not think that he is going to try to kill Travis because he wants to take over his family

as to Travis, it is still early to just go around and kill your neighbors, i.e., i think that he will eventually get it; Madison seems to be getting it faster

6. Damaniel

Damaniel Member

Now that's just silly. I haven't seem him rub his hand on his head once in frustration.

7. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I see Travis as a combination of season 2 Hershel "the people in the barn can still be cured" stint and Dale's belief in maintaining the best of ourselves

I do not see Daniel as Shane. Daniel's viewpoint comes from a place of experiencing hardship and violence. He is pulling from that life experience in order to deal with what he sees as the beginning of the end. While he does come off as an asshole, he is an asshole who sees what the world is becoming. He has no conflict with distinguishing between what once (very recently) was and what is now.

Shane's descent was due to his selfish need/want to have Lori and Carl as his own coupled with the guilt he was feeling about said need/want. Shane was about as conflicted a character as they come.

8. Camilleyun

Camilleyun Well-Known Member

I think Salazar is Salazar and Travis is Travis. I think alot of the complaints and disappointment from some are because either consciously or subconsciously you're expecting characters that are a revised version of our favorite characters from TWD. If we quit trying to make Travis the- new- west -coast-version-of -Rick, or whoever, and give the characters and story time to develop and stand on their own, the show will be much more enjoyable.
    We can't possibly have the same attachment to characters we've seen in 3 episodes to our gang in TWD, who we've watched for 5 seasons. And if we try to compare each character or make them a counterpart to characters in the TWD, we probably never will.

9. Kilroy was here

Kilroy was here Well-Known Member

Just as long as there are no "Travis eyes".

10. CSFurious

CSFurious Member

you make very good points

also, Rick was a sheriff's deputy and Travis was a high-school English teacher in what looks like a middle-class/lower middle-class city high school

those 2 individuals are going to have very different ways of looking at life in normal society let alone the new one

11. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

Yes, that was smart. Of course, we know that won't work, but as far as the characters are concerned, burning the bodies, staying away from fluids, and so on is the way to go until they learn otherwise.

12. Camilleyun

I have just seen a lot of posts where people are comparing this or that character to one in TWD. It's natural I guess, but I think unless we give them a chance on their own merit, as their own characters on their own path, the viewers who do this are consistently going to be let down. It takes time to become invested in a character, who would have been devastated by Carol's death in S1 as compared to S6? If we constantly compare everything to TWD, were never going to enjoy the show for what it is or become invested in any character.

13. Lian

Lian Member

Yeah that was my idea too.
    Too bad she didn't use the hammer.
    :hatchet:

14. Lian

Lian Member

Anyway, good people are the first to die, I think that will be true for a lot of them.
    They will be to soft and die first, or otherwise, keep contracting problems by trying to 'fix' them too nicely.

15. Busted Flipflop

I think Daniel is like Daryl, a checkered, shady past with skills that will come in handy for survival.

16. Damaniel

Damaniel Member

Wouldn't a steak knife have been so much easier?

17. Laurieellen

Laurieellen Well-Known Member

She could have used a screwdriver but Nick snagged it first.

18. Lian

Lian Member

Dunno if a steak knife will do, but any pointy weapon will do at that point.

19. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

Yes, what Daniel said makes me worried for Travis because much of the episode was spent pointing out the differences between Travis's way of thinking (we don't need guns, this will be over soon, we shouldn't kill the infected because maybe they can be cured) and Daniel's. And Madison is stuck in the middle, like in the scene when she is considering putting down Susan, Travis convinces her not to, and Daniel mutters, "Weak" under his breath. Maybe Travis is too "good" for this new world and something bad will happen because of it.

20. Camilleyun

Daniel also makes it point that one should never be indebted to someone - a couple times. I don't think he would have let Travis and family in the barbershop if his wife hadn't said so. She seems to be his soft spot, but he definitely lives by a different code than Travis, who just seems soft.