Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Griselda's deathbed confession

Discussion in 'Episode 105 - Cobalt' started by and138, Sep 27, 2015.

1. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

What do you think it means?

"I came to you as a girl, poor and stupid. I promised myself to you because I was young and did not know your nature. I saw the devil's face. It is the same as yours. He showed me his face. It's yours. All those nights... All those nights my husband and I together, waiting for them to break down the door. The faces of the disappeared waiting to curse us with their torches, their rope. I did what I did. I loved who I loved. What did you want me to do? So take my flesh piece by piece if that's my penance. Do it now. I will not ask you why. Now I know your nature. Now you know mine."

• Like Like x 1
  2. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I got the sense that the 'devil's face' was her own soul, which she felt she turned black by doing the things she needed to do to survive. She was basically saying, "I did what I had to. Judge me as you will, I'm ready".

3. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

I got the impression that she turned a blind eye to the truth of what they did to survive too and I think it was her husband being the Dr. Mengala of the war on the side against their people?

On the other hand maybe I need to ponder it all for a while,it came fast and strange to my brain and I am not sure what she was babbling about really.

4. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

I wondered if the devil is Daniel. But she also did something with him, or at least was an accomplice to something he did, for which she carries her own guilt. After this episode where he was flaying Ofelia's soldier friend's skin off, I also wondered if he was really a victim of the civil war or perhaps a participant. Or maybe he turned people over to the military to save his own family?

5. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

Yes, me too. That's why I rewound and transcribed it, so that I could read it all together instead of listening to it as drawn-out babbling and so that we could all ponder upon it. :)

6. Maeva

Maeva Member

The title of this thread is apt. I have the impression that she was talking to God based on her being so deeply invested in her faith and on her deathbed, where people often hallucinate or have "visions". Her eyes also looked distant to me, as though she were seeing something far away that Dr. Exner and Liza couldn't.

"I promised myself to you because I was young and did not know your nature."

She speaks of "penance"...who else would she expect to punish her for what she believes are sins?
    And knowing someone's nature "now" (now that she's dying).

"I saw the devil's face. It is the same as yours. He showed me his face. It's yours."

This will probably be a controversial statement for the dualistic thinkers among us who perceive good and evil as having separate sources, but it's like ...Diabolus est Deus inversus. Devil is God inverted. Divinity is upside down in this world. God is of the living, not the dead. Yet to live is to do evil.

"I will not ask you why."

Who else would she think could give answers to all the things that mystified her if she did ask?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hope the Savior

Given how religious Griselda appeared to be, I wonder if her deathbed confession was her spitting in G-d’s face, essentially expressing her anger with G-d for betraying her and for being so cruel. From a young age she pledged her life to G-d, in a sense, by choosing to live righteously and piously, and G-d repaid her devotion with basically what amounted to a sh!tty life and with continuous tests of faith and morality (civil war, loving a monster, etc.).

When she was younger, she didn’t know that G-d and the devil are one and the same (“…I did not know your nature. I saw the devil’s face…”), but now on her deathbed, she realizes it, understands it, and sees it fully (“Now, I know your nature. Now, you know mine.”): if G-d created humans in His/Her image and humans embody the struggle between good and evil and right and wrong, then G-d must be the devil in disguise and the devil is G-d testing human kind.

Her deathbed confession was her accepting G-d’s true nature, the life she’d been dealt, and the punishments she expected to endure in the afterlife.

• Like Like x 1
  8. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

[MENTION=75181]Maeva[/MENTION] and [MENTION=85521]Hope the Savior[/MENTION], I like your readings.

I had read it as a disjointed speech directed to Daniel and then God. I assumed "I came to you as a girl, poor and stupid. I promised myself to you because I was young and did not know your nature," was about marrying Daniel when she was too young, and then, "So take my flesh piece by piece if that's my penance. Do it now. I will not ask you why," was speaking to God.

But yes, if the entire thing was Griselda speaking to God, that makes more sense.

9. 8307c4

8307c4 Well-Known Member

She was delirious and incoherent, there's no sense to be made of that.

10. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

I think she was walking down that white tunnel.

11. Biffster

Biffster Well-Known Member

He was not the good guy we've been led to believe. That's for sure.

12. LadyGrimes

LadyGrimes Well-Known Member

Which brings us back to when he said the good people will not survive.

13. Biffster

Biffster Well-Known Member

True true.

14. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

It was also interesting that as she says this Daniel IS taking the soldiers flesh piece by piece too in order to find his way back to her?

15. dhdhdh33

dhdhdh33 Member

Good people survive if they know when to strategically abandon their humanity and can handle it afterword. Since FTWD characters have not been developed enough to talk about the Shane/Rick, Merle/Darryl, The Governor/Rick even Shane/Carol's Husband (bad/more bad), The Governor's Tank Group/TWD group, The "Claimed" gang/TWD group, Terminus/TWD group comparisons are good.

16. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

My first thoughts were that Griselda was talking to god. As if she were condemning him for the bad things that have happened in her life and for the current state of the world. Some of the ideas in this thread are very interesting, though.

We should definitely revisit this monologue some time in the future and see if anymore sense can be made from it based on things we're yet to see.

17. Cavedeth

Cavedeth Member

As I was watching, I took it as some confession/rant at Daniel. Now that I have come here and seen the perspective that it may have been a deathbed rant to her maker, I like that too.

Heck, even the combo platter of both makes some sense. Hooker you have a point, maybe more will play out in future episodes to clarify this scene.

18. mtito914

mtito914 Active Member

It was a lot better when I saw the same scene on a Telemundo soap opera.

19. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

There was that scene when he first starts torturing the soldier. He tells a story about being brought into a similar room as a boy, with someone tied up. He said the victim and torturer are similar because they both feel pain, and he had to choose which one he would be. (Or something to that effect; I'd have to rewatch.) Also, he already knows quite a lot about how to properly skin an arm and where nerve endings are located...

20. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

Yes! I like this observation.