Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Griselda's deathbed confession

Discussion in 'Episode 105 - Cobalt' started by and138, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Bettie

Bettie Active Member

I think it was about Daniel and God.

She's been very submissive, always telling Ofelia to listen to her father, to do what he says and she's clung to her faith.

Neither lived up to the trust she placed in them. In some ways they are interconnected. She loved her husband even when he did terrible things to ensure their survival, but now, even God has deserted her, in allowing the dead to rise.

The fear she had of the faces of the disappeared has come to pass in the faces of zombies, coming for everyone.

2. zombiemom62

zombiemom62 Well-Known Member

in reading it again, you could compare her relationship to God as Ophelia's to Daniel.
    She talks about being young and stupid, Daniel talks about Ophelia's innocence and trust.
    Griselda talks of promising herself to God(the father), because she didn't know his nature, and the devils face was the same as his( God was good to her, she lived, but God allowed bad things to happen to others.)
    Ophelia trusts her dad, but finds out he has two sides, the good he shows her and the evil that lies and tortured her boyfriend.
    So she and Daniel waited to be attacked by the people that Daniel hurt, but she loved Daniel and her daughter and did what she had to do, as much as Daniel did.
    So will Ophelia love her father enough to love who she loves and do what she has to do? as her mother did? Now that she sees her father's 2 sides? And the dead come knocking and you can't be kind?
    In telling God to take pieces of her flesh for her penance, she knows she did bad things, and accepts punishment for it. But maybe blames God for putting her in a place where in order to survive or keep her loved ones safe, she had to go along with bad things.

3. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

I appreciate the clarification--or the ambiguity--you all bring to this.

I thought, "I promised myself to you," was a reference to Griselda's marriage vows and the devil's face was her husband's. Then the penance portion was to God, to lose her foot because she loved a man who dismembered/tortured others. But the whole conversation being directed to God makes sense because from the start she is talking into the air, to a "You."

Hmm. If Daniel reveals Griselda was a young nun before the war came, then even the "I promised myself to You" portion becomes very clear.

It was easy for me to instantly assume she meant Daniel, because I had put him into the devil category.

4. Lindigo

P.S. This is already the second unusual reflection on God in only five episodes. SuSu thinking zombies reveal the holy face of God is still the weirder.

5. Thrishmal

Thrishmal New Member

I took it to mean she was a nun in her youth and ended up sleeping with different officials to ensure her own survival. She thought that God was pure, but as she saw more of the horrors in life, she came to realize that God is both the face of evil and good. If God wishes to judge her for doing what she must to survive in his world, then she gladly offers herself up to that judgement.

It was an interesting scene for sure.

6. Apollonia

Apollonia Well-Known Member

The "I promised myself to you" is something that is done when one takes communion, further evidenced by "i came to you as a girl, poor and stupid", meaning she had full belief in that there was a Savior. I took the entire conversation as her talking to God. If you recall, when the shit first went down and Travis, Liza and Chris were hiding out at the Barber shop, they made it a point to show Grizelda praying and, lighting a candle. To me the entire conversation was TO God, and she was referencing her whole life including her marriage and how she kept the faith despite what they had to do. Despite all the bad she turned away from (that her husband did), she felt that the constant prayer would be atonement. In this last episode, I took it to mean that she realized that the God she was talking too was not in fact god but the Devil, as in "you have the same face".

7. Lindigo

Apollonia, Thanks. I didn't know that about Communion. No question, now--she was communing with God for the whole thing.

8. Hope the Savior

I too wonder how the show will progress Ofelia and her dad's relationship after this fracture. All this time, her dad led her to believe that he'd been the tortured and the abused. She thought he was a saintly man who survived the horrors of war when, in reality, he was the monster inflicting the horror. She was appalled by the discovery, but will she continue to love her father? I really hope FTWD explores the dynamics of Daniela and Ofelia's relationship and doesn't put it on the back burner.

Yeah, I noticed Griselda was the second example, of a spiritual deathbed confession, within the past two episodes. I'm just going to copy and paste my words from the positivity thread to elaborate: