Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Halloween - Original (1978)

Discussion in 'Horror Movies' started by HonestAbe, Sep 15, 2016.

1. HonestAbe

HonestAbe Active Member

This will forever be my favorite horror movie. I watch I don't know how many times every fall. My mom and I put it on randomly throughout the year, and my husband has to suffer through Halloween marathons lol. I love how basic everything is. He wasn't overkilling the gore (no pun intended) and I love how there was no explanation about why Michael Myers did what he did - at least not in the original. The mask is still scary, again so basic and lifeless. I love Rob Zombie's music, but I have to say I really didn't like his remakes of the Halloween movies at all. And I love Jamie Lee Curtis.

2. Sarah-kate

Sarah-kate Member

My favourite horror also, Im getting a Michael Myers tattoo soon eek. I love the simplicity of it, it still freaks me out and I don't watch it on my own lol. Not a huge fan of the remakes, still a rather watch the original.

3. EvilDeadJ

EvilDeadJ Member

This is classic .. And although some will argue TTCM '74 brought slasher films to mainstream movie goers I would say it was in fact Halloween that encased the slasher genre and put it on the shelves.

Plus carpenter's simplistic yet effective soundtrack is just classic.. and immediately recognizable by anyone

it's not aging as well as I'd like it too .. for example Donald Pleasence hiding behind a bush for hours, then, out of nowhere.. turning around and FINALLY noiticing the car micheal used to get to the neighborhood.. it was like ummm.... dude it's been there the whole time.. back as a kid or people in the 70's-80's probably wouldnt care about a plot whole that big but .. nowadays you are like "wow that was bad"

doesn't detract from the movie for me which is still an all time favorite .. I own it on three formats (PSP, DVD, BLUray) and have the utmost respect for it.. not to mention John Carpenter is one of the best horror/sci fi directors of all time.. "The Thing" '82 might be in my all time top 5 movies

4. HonestAbe

HonestAbe Active Member

Yeah there are definitely some plot holes lol they are comical... I'm not scared of it the way I was when I was a kid because there are some unintentionally funny parts... The whole feel of the movie though is so "Halloween"... Gets me in the spirit every year

5. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

A behind the scenes picture of Nick Castle, who played Michael Myers in the original Halloween.

6. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm just a casual fan and think Carpenter has better films(The Thing is an all time favorite), but do still enjoy it every October. I actually just recently watched a great feature length documentary on the series.

I know it's blasphemy to most fans, but I also enjoy the remake....

7. EvilDeadJ

EvilDeadJ Member

The Thing '82 is one of the best sci-fi horror crossovers ever... one of my favorite films all time as well.. on par with other scifi/horror films like Alien

But agreed Carpenter has a directed a lot of all time classics that rank up there ... "Big Trouble in Little China", "The Thing", "They Live" are all timers...

and then you have great films like "Christine", "Escape from NY", "Mouth of Madness"

and even "Starman" was great and oscar nominated!

8. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the remake immensely....I actually liked it better than the original. Sorry [MENTION=108952]HonestAbe[/MENTION]. :) *ducks*

9. HonestAbe

HonestAbe Active Member

Haha no love lost... to each their own! My brother loves the remake too

10. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

I liked how Zombie gave Myers more of a background and story so the audience can see why he turned out the way he did, whereas he was just a faceless stalker in the original. I can see pros and cons for both ways though....

Probably coulda done without the white trash stuff though. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. HonestAbe

HonestAbe Active Member

Definitely agree with pros and cons to both but personally I think it's scarier not knowing why he went bad... almost like he was just born a bad seed with no remorse... I can where people like the backstory though, but that's just my own opinion

12. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

I am torn on the remake. On one hand one of the scariest things about the original is he really had no back story. We saw him kill his sister but his motives were unclear. There was no reason for him to become what he is, he was just evil.

The remake was interesting because it gave him more of a backstory which I found fun and interesting. But it takes away from the enigma aspect of his character.

So I guess in a vacuum the remake was good, as long as I don't connect the two movies. As if they were different characters.

If I imagine the remake was a story about a copy cat, not THE Michael Myers.

13. WickedJenn

WickedJenn Active Member

The original Halloween is in my top five. I agree, on that bolded part, those reasons are among why it's one of my favorites, and I also watch it every Halloween season, as I call it. I have the musical score on my Halloween playlist. Even the beginning credits creep me out still.

The far away camera angles when Laurie knew she saw something in the distance, I get chills just thinking about it.