Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Hanging Dude

Discussion in 'Episode 904 - The Obliged' started by PepperAnn, Oct 29, 2018.

1. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

Thank goodness you were able to get a clear screen shot. I was hoping I was wrong cause I like Alden too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Terminator

Terminator Well-Known Member

I went fairly deep on this one and thought that it reflected back to the KKK tying up black men and hanging them from trees. Michonne is trying to write a new constitution and I was looking at some sort of bigotry aspect. Maybe too deep.

• Like Like x 5
  3. WillyJakkz

WillyJakkz Active Member

Thanks for this, I was trying to figure it out myself and completely forgot about this mystery once shit hit the fan for Rick

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

I did the same thing...when she was looking at what appeared to be civil war era paintings, and then she didn't want to call it a constitution I assumed it was tied in to that as well. Maybe they ARE subtle (and less subtle...like the hanging) hints toward that, or maybe we are reaching :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

I never even made the lynching connection, it's a possibility.

I saw it as her reflecting on Gregory and it froze her, when she killed the Walker with the bat it connected to what Negan was saying about how they were similar. I don't remember if that happened before or after he said that. But that's how I saw the scene.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. OutrunsMyFriends

OutrunsMyFriends New Member

early signal about beta?

7. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

That was my thought also. That Michonne upon seeing the guy hanging from the noose was a call back to the hanging of Gregory

• Like Like x 2
  8. IfDarylDiesRiot

I am so glad someone asked this. I was going to, but didn't want to sound stupid for not knowing who it was lol.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Always ask!! Gawd knows I have had my fair share of moments asking (what I thought to be) stupid questions.

BUT your question might lead to a great discussion.

And we need great discussions because we get into trouble if we are left to entertain ourselves otherwise ;):p:D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Bah ha ha I love your moniker!!

Sigh....wish I would have chosen a clever nickname :mad: Too late now, stuck with Dnae

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

Before. It was in the opening sequence.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Lori Grimes

Lori Grimes Active Member

I thought it may have reminded her of her late husband or something

13. mmmbert

mmmbert Active Member

This is how I took it at the time I saw it.

Going by my memory, back in Episode 1 in the museum, Michonne paused and looked for a long while at a Civil War exhibit and maybe the Gettysburg address. She seemed affected by seeing the words and the scene. Since then she has been working diligently on forming a new world based on principles that are completely opposite the ones that led to the Civil War; equality, respect, cooperation, etc. A dream she wanted to bring into reality.

The hanging man, I took it to be an actual lynching, but even if it wasn't, it was so much like one it may as well have been. Seeing it, it made her question everything she had been doing, wonder if it was a waste of time, that the world will never really change. Many of the doubts that enter into my mind these days. As much as things have changed, there are still things that make you sick that happen in the world. I took it as serious doubt on her part. The she picked up the bat and it was another symbol of a broken world that may never be fixed.

Or not.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Kill Judith

Kill Judith Member

It was definitely symbolism for slavery. That's what put Michonne in such a state of tharn. My guess is we will never learn any more about it. Nothing more than shock value and the showcasing of our racist past. Liberals love that stuff.

Either that or it reminded her of Andre.

15. PepperAnn

Kill Judith? LMAO!!!! Poor Judith.

16. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

I would hope everyone (liberal or not) appreciates the acknowledgement of our country's past, and the hopeful avoidance of repeating the negative parts by recognizing it existed (and still exists in various forms) while also noting that the pain still lingers for those whose history and lives are directly affected by it. ;) I don't think this should be exclusively a liberal thing.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

Points for creative vocabulary. Tharn: A word in a fictional Lapine language used to describe an animal frozen in terror. In Richard Adams' novel "Watership Down" the term is used when the main characters, which are rabbits, see the headlights of oncoming cars and are frozen in place.

That's exactly how she reacts in this episode. I suspect it is actually foreshadowing that warrior Michonne freezes over looking at a bat.

18. PepperAnn

HA! Love your siggy. :D

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

Thanks! :) I loved that part. :D

• Like Like x 1
  20. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Downplaying our country's sordid past. Uptight conservatives love that stuff

Freaking THARN in my side

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1