Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Hershel Greene

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead TV Characters' started by O Town Indian, Nov 28, 2011.

1. O Town Indian

O Town Indian Member

Am I the only one who felt bad for Hershel when he was watching his family and friends get gunned down? Before Sophia came out we thought he was crazy, but now we know how he felt. I guaranty no one wanted Sophia to get shot.
    Also Morgan kind of had the same issue with his wife, he could not put her down. Now I know that he kept them alive with a hope for a cure or a chance to save them, but it is still hard to see a loved one like that.
    What are your thoughts?

2. Nestler

Nestler Member

I felt so sad for Hershel, but also for Dale in the scene before.

Everybody was shocked by the fact that Sophia is a zombie now. Even tough-as-nails-Shane.
    Rick was the only one who could see clearly in this moment and knew what needs to be done. Not Shane, not Daryl. But it was Rick who could make this tough decision.
    And that's what makes him such a great leader.

3. O Town Indian

O Town Indian Member

I 100% agree

4. AVC

AVC Member

Hopefully after Shane's "demonstration" he realises what is going on.

Although after the carnage, he may be a broken man.

5. buffy861

buffy861 Member

I felt bad for him. But, in that scene, I felt bad for everyone.

6. marsyao

marsyao Member

It would very interesting thing to see what would happens if Hershel still insist kicking out of Rick's group out of "his property" which is funny like the concept of private property would survive the collapse of the society, he acts like he want some uninvited guests to leave his Christmas party, and what could he do if the guests refuse to leave, their would be no cops could come to help, and he at his side only 1 old man, 1 old woman, 2 young girls and 1 kids, as far as I know they had no weapons, at the other hand Rick's group were armed to the teeth, and make thing worse, they were desperate, knowing full well how dangerous the outside world is. The only reason that Rick did not take the farm by force is that they are basically good people, and they were trying to make reason with Hershel, they should live together and share the resource, in exchange they can contribute for the labor and provide protection for this safe haven. I really wish Hershel would see this, because you could only push a desperate person so far, and you can not push a group of desperate persons very far.

7. Lucky

Lucky Member

Yeah, I felt bad for the guy.

8. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

I'll admit that I believed that as we saw more of Hershel, he was a cold and intimidating father to his family (while his father was abusive). I now believe he had good intentions to protect walkers he saw as "sick" until science created a cure.

Yes, Hershel's good intentions were a risk to both his family and Rick's group, but Shane's actions were totally wrong. They were lucky to not have been swarmed by the walkers or accidentally shoot themselves.

9. slw2082

slw2082 Well-Known Member

I felt bad for Hershel, especially when his wife came out and half of her jaw was blown off before a head shot. What a horrible thing to watch. And it does seem like the barn was pretty secure so even though we know there isn't a cure it was his hope to keep them there not hurting anyone until he found out. It was a sad episode, but I am glad Rick is the leader they all take for granted.

10. marsyao

marsyao Member

Shan overacted that is for sure. But Hershel was making a bigger mistake, if the group he met was led by that "governor", they would put bullets into his head instead of those walkers,his farm utterly lack any mean of protection for both walkers and bad people, he did realize he needs Rick as much as Rick needs him, why can not he see this simple fact?

11. RicksGal44

RicksGal44 Member

Ok i saw the talking dead last nite and they said otis is the one who captured sophia as a zombie. Did he even know it was her? Did hershel know? Did Otis even think of saying, "Listen guys i have a 12 year old in the barn i just put in there" Or was he covering up like she didnt exist so maybe he deserved to die?
    When i saw here coming out of the barn i just held my breathe in shock and i cried a little. :' (

12. marsyao

marsyao Member

hi, Otis died before anyone mentioned Sophia

13. Felicia

Felicia Active Member

I felt sad for Hershel, but I also still felt like he was crazy. He was endangering everyone, the daughter he still had alive, to hold onto something that was just... gone.

14. rtds9

rtds9 New Member

My thing with him..well it's easy for us to say "if my mom/son/dad/daughter/husband/wife/whatever...got turned I'd put one in their brain" while we're sitting here all safe and sound.But when it comes down to it it would be tougher than you could think.Which is why it was so much easier for the group to kill all the Walkers in the barn who were local town folk but as soon as Sophia came out they couldn't do it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Mark O.

Mark O. Member

Well Hershel doesn't have to worry about any more of his family in the barn. But what happens the next time they find a walker? Does he keep putting them in the barn (starting another collection so to speak), shoot them, or let them wander around the yard? Not really any other choices for him...unless he wants to get bit and join them...problem with that...it would make him a "Hershel Walker"...and everyone from Georgia knows there will only ever be one Hershel Walker!

16. AVC

AVC Member

I totally agree with marsyao. The concept of private property. Do the laws still exist? The government certainly doesn't. And the ones who enforce it are the armed men wanting to stay.

So what if they said "No, we're not going. And further more, were moving in to the house. If you want to fight about it, you can move into one of our tents."

17. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call Hershel crazy; he was hopeful that science would find a cure. Hershel and his family were also secluded from the rest of the world, so they had no idea just how horrific things have gotten.

Yes, Hershel's actions were dangerous, but the barn was secure. Rick and his group camped nearby for several days without a clue as to the walkers inside. The barn's security was compromised by Shane, not by a walker.

18. Hawaiian Shirt Zombie

Hawaiian Shirt Zombie Active Member

Agreed. I think he's going to have an extreme crisis of faith. Hershel is one of my favorite comic book characters because he brings so much to the table. So far, I am very happy with the TV show version and I look forward to his transformation into the character he has the potential to become.

19. Al Davis is back

I thought the actor did a wonderful job of portraying the pain, and when Rick kept yelling at him to take the walker, I was like wow! He just shut down and clinched his jaw. For me, it more compelling than Rick shooting Sophia.

20. Hawaiian Shirt Zombie

Hawaiian Shirt Zombie Active Member

Was it me or was the Walker on a stick thing a very powerful metaphor? I felt like it was underscoring that Rick was tied to Hershel and his "rules" and when Shane shot the walker and went nuts on the barn-ghouls, the action freed Rick of his burden to be beholden to Hershel’s belief system any further and ultimately allowed him to resume his place as rightful leader of the group when he was then "free" to do what no other in the group could bring themselves to do (put down Sofia). Maybe it's just me. Rick tied to that damn zombie incapable of action felt like a huge metaphor. I could be wrong.