Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Hershel's bible reading: Psalm 91

Discussion in 'Episode 315 - This Sorrowful Life' started by Alina, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Alina

Alina Well-Known Member

Hershel's reading is from Psalm 91 of the King James version:

My Refuge and My Fortress

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
    I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.
    Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence.
    He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.
    Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day;
    Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday,
    A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
    Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.
    Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation;
    There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.
    For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways.
    They shall bear thee up in their hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone.
    Thou shalt tread upon the lion and adder: the young lion and the dragon shalt thou trample under feet.
    Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name.
    He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honour him.
    With long life will I satisfy him, and shew him my salvation.

2. Lonesome Lurker

Lonesome Lurker Active Member

Thanks for posting, it was very cool to see him reading scripture in the show. Personally, I have begun to love the "Greene" family, they have still not lost hope in the lord in the ZA.

3. GDhotDANG

GDhotDANG New Member

I liked it as well...especially because by now I am sure a lot of survivors had developed a huge beef with God for "allowing" the ZA to happen. It was cool they still kept their faith.

4. DarylFTW

DarylFTW Member

Thank you for posting that. I was also very glad to see that they still hold strongly to their faith.

5. rabscuttle1

rabscuttle1 Well-Known Member

Reading words from a book doesn't mean anything. It's what you hold in your heart that matters. Lots of fakes spout the bible. I believe the Greene family has faith, but not because Hershel reads from some book. I believe they have faith because their actions prove that they carry faith within themselves.

6. Claymore

Claymore Member

Could this be foreshadowing?

7. Olive Oyl

Olive Oyl New Member

Hershel has questioned his understanding of God allowing the ZA before,(season 2 I think) when he said something on the order of, "I've always believed in the resurrection, but I didn't think it would be quite like this!" No, his faith isn't from reading words in a book. But that particular psalm reflects his faith and gives him comfort and strength to go on... Who would take that away from him, after all he's been through?! btw, I'm new here - HELLO! :zombies_cuinlove:

8. bamafan1980

bamafan1980 New Member

I really liked that scene.

9. iheartnorman

iheartnorman Active Member

Hey! And very nicely put!

10. Zugzwang

Zugzwang Member

It was pretty nice, but in all seriousness I hope they don't overdo the whole biblical trope. Only a matter of time before it gets repetitive and loses all poignancy.

11. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

I agree, but I don't think they will overdo it. They basically saved it for the scene where Rick was deciding what he was going to do with Michonne. I think since Hershel was so troubled, and conflicted, about what was going on it made sense for his character. You could really see his guilt there too when he was saying to Maggie and Beth that he'd do anything to keep them safe.

12. Zugzwang

Zugzwang Member

Yeah I understand the context in which they were used but in excess, feels like a cop out in the scripting process. Sooner or later, the big damn moral guardian trope has to go and Hershel's character must confront manifestations of [insert noun] without relying on (or escaping into) biblical metaphors. I hope there'd be no more of this for at least, until season four's mid-finale.

13. Buttercup

Buttercup Member

When Hershel was reading that scripture. I had feeling it was Psalms. But forgot what chapter it was. Thanks for letting us know.