Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Hilltop finding out about Carl

Discussion in 'Episode 811 - Dead or Alive Or' started by Duce000, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Duce000

Duce000 Active Member

I felt the scene was very underwhelming. I also didn't like that we didn't get to see the groups reaction to Rick and Michonne showing up in the same episode either. I was looking forward to this reaction.

I feel they should've done it without the music so we could actually hear the reaction. Anyone else feel the scene could've been better?

• Agree Agree x 6
  2. Sully

Sully Active Member

It's been a recurring tool they use where instead of filming a genuine reaction thru give us music and them reacting instead. They did it this way when Tara returned to find Denise and the others died.

Honestly the fact that Tara has mentioned Glenn at all is kind of annoying too. They were close, but she's more upset about losing her short time lover. Her character was annoying this episode.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

Yes, the rest of Team Family's reaction to the news of Carl's death was very underwhelming. I expected some dialogue, some tears, and some anger.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Duce000

Duce000 Active Member

Yea they haven't done a good job with reactions at all. i feel they have missed a few opportunities for some great reactions. In addition to Tara finding out about Denise, they also missed Alexandria finding out what happened on the road when Negan killed Glenn and Abraham. Also Maggie arriving at hilltop after that as well.

I don't mind her being so angry and blind about Dwight because that feels like a natural reaction. But as a viewer it is annoying that she is trying to kill him at this point because they still can use him.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Weallgotit

Weallgotit Well-Known Member

Yeah, it sure would have been nice to hear Daryl tell Maggie and the others about Carl. All we got was Enid sobbing to her knees. I don't even think they even showed Maggie or Carol's faces since they were so focused on Enid.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Duce000

Duce000 Active Member

Right. And Enid's crying scene didn't really move me the way Carol or Maggie's would have. I hope we get something better when we actually see Carol and Maggie talk to Rick for the first time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Jag

Jag Well-Known Member

I was fine with it. Id assume Enid would take it the hardest (or at least show her emotions the most) at the end of the scene Maggie was on the ground holding her.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

I actually liked it. The way Carol, Maggie, and Enid's faces all went from happy to see them to figuring out something is wrong by reading Daryl, then tears when we see Daryl mouth "Carl".

It was sappy, sure. But I liked it. I'm sure we will get some more scenes with dialog about these characters dealing with the loss.

Just like Maggie and Daryl after he escaped. We never saw them come face to face when he arrived and I thought we were robbed of a great scene. Then a few episodes later we got the "I'm sorry" scene. So I'm sure we will get something in a few episodes where the characters deal with it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Reina

Reina Active Member

They really did fast forward through it. It was heartbreaking to watch Enid and then, snap! It was over with a glimpse of her sitting beside herself to deal. I felt she deserved more on screen time for that.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Duce000

Duce000 Active Member

I liked the way they did it with Daryl and Maggie because we knew Daryl had guilt about it. Wasn’t really feeling this one tho.

11. GrungeMan

GrungeMan Active Member

The show has spent years cultivating relationships between characters as well as the audience's ivestment in those relationships. Once a character dies we often get these underwhelming and brief character responses before moving along to another scene...

Honor was an exception, but this is in my humble opinion the biggest weakness of the show. It's paradoxical how little time character's are afforded to grieve and reflect on one another when it's this large, diverse family that has been the heart of the show for so long... Like I said, it's the shows most glaring and frequent flaw.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Miamicuse

Miamicuse Active Member

Bear in mind, the group didn't see Carl die, not really. They saw him dying. I am assuming there will be a stronger resolution scene when Rick shows up.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  13. 92Pony

92Pony Active Member

They could have taken just a few of the 672 minutes it took Carl to actually die, and used them in this reaction scene.

#13 92Pony, Mar 12, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

I feel like I'm in the minority here when it comes to this scene. I think by showing all of their faces when they found out, and showing Enid fall to the ground, we can figure out that they are all really sad about it...i'm sure there will be more scenes that express how sad they are to lose Carl. I don't need long, dragged out scenes with them crying. I think we have a natural curiosity to see Daryl relay what happened in detail and see all of their reactions, but it wouldn't really move the story forward.

I also think the two people who his death affected the most (Rick and Michonne) got the appropriate moments of grieving scenes. Enid will get more i'm sure. Carl's death is one that will linger for a while.

• Agree Agree x 5
  15. Miamicuse

Miamicuse Active Member

Also, they haven't read Carl's letters to them yet.

What if Enid is now pregnant with Carl Jr?

16. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

Totally agree with this. Rick and Michonne were the ones who we needed to see grieve, and the writers gave us that. At this point in time, there have been so many deaths of loved ones that after the initial shock and of course grief, they just have to carry on. There's no time to get swallowed up in your own emotions to the detriment of yourself and others in the group. If you're depressed and not on your A game, you or someone else might be next. This is their reality now.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

I was actually pleasantly surprised with how they did this overall and found it refreshing that there were no mouth words or speeches,if you couldn't get the jist of it from Enids reaction then........

I will even admit that I was so bored last night that I was flipping channels and when I got back to the Hilltop wasn't sure what had even happened as this new approach was so different than expected!

18. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

I thought it was perfect. Carol running over to Daryl joyfully was perfect. Daryl mouthing "Carl" was perfect. Daryl, Carol, and Judith walking in bound tightly together was perfect. Enid was perfect. Maggie cradling her was perfect.

Some things leave you in a hollow pain beyond words. All you can do is breath in and out and put one foot in front of the next and keep going. That's what was captured.

Tragedy is ever-present for them. purriwinkle said exactly what I think.

19. 92Pony

92Pony Active Member

The one part of that ending scene that I *did* really like was Enid's reaction. I thought the actress did a great job there. You could just feel the heartbreak.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

She did an awesome job...poor girl didn't even get to say goodbye.

• Agree Agree x 2