Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Hitchhiker Backpack Camper Guy

Discussion in 'Episode 312 - Clear' started by The Great Zombini, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Dark Meat

Dark Meat Member

As someone else pointed out, the noise from Rick's gun would have drawn all the walkers in the radius into the area

2. Casca910

Casca910 Active Member

3. Mossberg590@

Mossberg590@ New Member

jimmy the backpack boy

Just because someone is screaming, begging and pleading does not mean they have good intentions. For all we know jimmy the backpack boy{fabricated name} could be just like the two guys from tyrese's group, plotting and planning to plunder them and cause trouble for them. Remember the two guys in the bar during season 2? They walk in the door acting the part and gradually you figure out that their scum when they start asking questions like "where do you live?" "Are there any women with you?" Never trust a stranger during an apocalypse even if you have a war to fight!

4. GovernorsGal

GovernorsGal New Member

Thanks for posting that <3

5. DarkeAngelus

DarkeAngelus Member

Meh. Don't twist my words. I said Rick's become unlikeable. He's also become a severe hindrance to the prison crew. Hell, even Carl called him out on it, so don't even try to deny the obvious. Newsflash: If Rick hadn't gone apecrap crazy with Tyreese's crew- and sent them packing to the Governor's camp- he wouldn't have placed his group in the danger you just KNOW is coming, and that you KNOW will result in at least one body count from our favorite group of survivors. That's all on Rick's shoulders.

The explanation of the fanbase shift between Rick and Daryl Dixon, who was never in the comics and, hence, isn't crippled by ten years of head canon memorized by crazed readers (even though the comic and the show parted company by Episode Two) is because, over the course of the series: Daryl has wandered towards embracing humanity's finer points while Rick has completely withdrawn himself from it. In short, he's become no better than the Governor.

At this point, between Rick's prison / Gov's Woodbury / and Morgan's ZombieDisneyland, I think I'll take my chances with a backpack and an empty highway. I should be safe just so long as Rick isn't riding the roads ...

6. Verellupine

Verellupine New Member

Its sad to see how far they all have come from what they used to be but given the circumstances...I definitely wouldn't pick him up. Hell I wouldn't pick up a hitchiker now but then I'm naturally suspicious of people.

I adore both Rick and Darryl and believe that they compliment each other well when they work together. Now that Rick has had his moment with former bff Morgan, I think we will see a little more humanity in Rick and a little more working as a team with Darryl and probably Michonne.

7. Vector R

Vector R New Member

This, exactly, and anyone at the prison (besides maybe Merle) would've either stopped for the guy or demanded that they stop and hear him out. I'm flabbergasted that they left him to die, and while I understand why they stopped for the pack, I can't believe the trio was so cold that they didn't even discuss the matter. It was so unbelievably cruel of them, it came really close to breaking threshold of disbelief.

Aside from every life being precious, logistically, they need more people to use the guns as well. They have less than 10 people able to defend the prison, with the rest being too young/too injured/noncombatants. I'm also stunned to see in better than half of all the posts I've seen on the matter, people would just leave him behind. I'm pretty sure all those posters would be screaming just as loud if their one hope was coming up the road. Stopping for him isn't just the right thing to do, but the logical thing, and hopefully the thing to do in the hopes someone else will do it for you.

8. Dark Meat

Dark Meat Member

On this show, we've seen humans do far far worse things than ignoring a guy on the road.

9. Claymore

Claymore Member

For all you guys know, that was the "King of Sodomy", the rapeist guy from Randalls group and probably all of Atlanta!

10. DarkeAngelus

DarkeAngelus Member

Yeah, maybe, but the way this series goes through/rewrites people, that poor bastard also could have been Aaron. Those of you who read the comics know where that lead goes, and now it could be gone.

11. Donnnn

Donnnn Well-Known Member

I'm so nitpicky but Carl wasn't wearing his hat in the car. Other than that it was pretty cool :p

12. Patrickdeh

Patrickdeh Member

After seeing how they handle strangers/newcommers i suddenly realised this...

#52 Patrickdeh, Mar 5, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  13. Donnnn

Donnnn Well-Known Member

Ah man what about Abraham and co...

14. Patrickdeh

Patrickdeh Member

Nah thats different. They also carry guns and have a good plan.

15. Zvivor

Zvivor Well-Known Member

[QUOTE=DarkeAngelus;198755 low - and unlikable- Rick (and lil'Terminator Carl) have become. Michonne is really more dead than .."

LOL-- lil' Terminator Carl. Love it!

16. Zugzwang

Zugzwang Member

Unfortunately, this bio is fan-fiction. Nonetheless, thanks for the link. Maybe in time to come, they will reveal the contents of his backpack and provide more clues to his identity. Or maybe not.

I like this episode even better now... Scott Gimple did a great job at grazing important questions without overtly fixating on any specific message. While it's all about protecting yourself, how much is too much? They might not be murdering and harming people actively like the gov. but what makes them morally superior if they won't even consider helping a passerby? That the writer offered no obvious resolution with the hitchhiker was a very subtle and sophisticated touch.

17. Buck

Buck Member

It isn't all about Rick. Neither Carl or Michonne spoke up and said, "Hey, we can't leave that guy." Not sure I agree that everyone back at the prison except Merle would have.

They are on a run for guns, ammo, and food. What they don't need is another mouth to feed, arm, train, worry about while they are on a run. If they had picked him up, what would they have done with him in Rick's hometown except have to worry about him getting them killed?

Saving Randall posed a whole bunch of problems they didn't think through when they saved him.

Agree that Rick has changed, but it isn't open and shut whether he's changed for the better or worse in terms of surviving the ZA.

In this episode Rick stepped away from crazy town quite a bit - not seeing or hearing things and was fully functional - and acknowledged and made common cause with Michonne about his visions.

I can feel bad for the backpacker without thinking that Rick, Carl, and Michonne were wrong for not picking him up.

18. Finesse

Finesse New Member

Backpack guy obviously was a survivor if he lasted this long, Rick and the rest of the group have seen it all and adding a total stranger would only complicate an already complicated situation. Unlike the Governer, Rick isn't into manipulation, he is into preservation, and the mission they're on is one to help preserve the group nothing more nothing less.

19. Claymore

Claymore Member

Point taken! But it's hard for me to picture Aaron that desperate.

20. StreborET

StreborET New Member

How did this guy survive that long without an apparent weapon? Did anyone see what he had to dispatch walkers?