Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Hitchhiker Backpack Camper Guy

Discussion in 'Episode 312 - Clear' started by The Great Zombini, Mar 3, 2013.

1. SVTRay

SVTRay Active Member

2. DarkeAngelus

DarkeAngelus Member

Jeez, what was the poor guy supposed to do? Stand by the road and mutely hold up a hand-drawn cardboard sign with: "I'm Friendly" scrawled across it to the first car he's probably seen in, like, months while the woods are roaming with walkers? I would have gone apecrap crazy, too. And a lot more vulgar. "Hey! HEY! YOU GUYS IN THE CLEAN SHINEY CAR! PICK ME THE $%#@ UP!!!!! YOUR %^$&ing GUN SHOOTING IS ATTRACTING EVERY @#$%ing WALKER FOR MILES AND YOU'RE JUST GONNA #$%@ing LEAVE ME BEHIND TO FEND FOR MYSELF?! YOU (insert long rambling nonsensical stream of cursing here)!"

Now in terms of characterization: Tyreese was a bad@ss pitbull and Rick's right-hand man in the comics. In the show, he's more of a labradoodle teamed up with the apocalyptic variation of the Scoobie gang. So, yeah, I can picture poor gay Aaron to be a trifle high strung, given the circumstances.

3. BarbDwyer

BarbDwyer Well-Known Member

LMAO!! to funny - only made better by being so on point.

4. Casca910

Casca910 Active Member

That guy was NOT a survivor in terms of having been out on the road for a year. I would guess he'd been on the road for less than a week.
    First off, he had too much gear.
    second, the gear was not secured to the pack (to quiet it down)
    third, Notice how CLEAN that pack was
    fourth, screaming for them to stop. If they didn't stop when they saw him, they weren't going to. Stop making noise. (this was BEFORE Rick & co. got stuck)

My guess is that this guy was hunkered down somewhere until supplies ran out or someone in his group turned and started munching on people, He wasn't on the road for long with that clean, new looking, pack.

5. chainshada

chainshada New Member

To me it made sense not to pick him up...If it were me, I wouldn't pick up a random stranger on the side of the road and bring him straight to my weapon stockpile (didn't know it was cleared out at the time). It's not like they'd pick him up, drive him somewhere safe, then drive all the way back either.

6. ryannasaurus

ryannasaurus Member

I miss the old Rick. I liked that Rick so much. The one that believed in people and always wanted to help everyone.

I understand this new Rick. It makes sense. But it makes watching the episodes not as fun for me b/c the new Rick is such a downer.

7. Peanut Q. Public

we pass all this judgement on these fictional people for what they did or did not do, its a bit odd i think, considering none of us have spent the last year running from zombies and crazy people in a lawless world devoid of any type of luxuries or modern conveniences. i know people who go 1 day without cable tv and they're grumpy as a mofo. imagine you sleep on a cot. in a prison. in Georgia. no air conditioning, heating, running water, CHEESE. then think about the fact that you're at war, on a mission to get more weapons, and you see this guy, screaming like an idiot, your kid is in the car. my first thought would be that this is an ambush. there are people waiting in the woods to jump us and steal our supplies and rape whatever hole they can find on whoever their freakish minds desire. then i would ask myself, do i have time to kill a bunch of people and potentially die or lose my son? the most merciful thought i could see myself having in that situation would be that maybe if this guy is still alive on the way back when i have more guns i see if he could use some help. cuz like Casca said, with a pack that clean, i don't really know what's up with that guy.

8. JulieVA

JulieVA Member

I was shocked AND disgusted AND annoyed.

I was rooting for Rick & his group because they are (were) "the good people." But turning that group out into the wild & now this?? Very sad.

Here's the thing - Hercshel was trying to turn Rick out...making their group leave the farm.... & Rick BEGGED to stay using the same arguments that the last group did. How ironic is all of this considering that?

9. iamnotarobot

iamnotarobot Member

^agreed

10. Walker Bait

Walker Bait Well-Known Member

Walker Disneyland would be CREEPY!

11. Dark Meat

Dark Meat Member

Two different set of circumstances..

Carl getting shot forced their group upon Hershel's hands. Hershel had no opportunity to ignore and shut them off completely.

When Rick was begging Hershel to stay, they at least knew each other on some level and that both were indebted to each other..(the shooting then saving Carl)

This stranger has no relationship with them.

I think the cabin guy was even worse ..they went into his place and killed him and fed him to the zombies.

This is no longer modern society with its sense of moral code.

Not tryin to make it personal but after watching 3 seasons of this, is this the first time you've reacted this strongly after seeing some of the things that have happened on this show?

12. Dark Meat

Dark Meat Member

Given those choices, i agree lol but one question: How does Rick riding endanger you? Maybe threaten to help you, pick you up and take you to said prison?

#72 Dark Meat, Mar 7, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  13. AVC

AVC Member

Another thing to consider. Is the guy with his nice shiny pack is just a ruse. You stop to pick him up and you get ambushed.

The fact that he didnt have a weapon would make me suspicious

14. Montyzuma

Montyzuma Member

That's what bothered me. He looked like he just walked out of a LL Bean catalog.

15. InMyBlood

InMyBlood Member

yeah, it doesn't make sense. i miss that aspect of the storyline where you see how people come together in crisis. there is nothing of that now it seems.

what you said is so true. if not for hershels kindness, carl would be dead.

despite all the negative posts i've made against andrea, i can't see her doing this to people. which is really good trait of hers. without your comment, i don't think that would have occurred to me.

#75 InMyBlood, Mar 8, 2013
  16. Visage

Visage New Member

What mostly bothered me is that Carl never spoke up or showed any signs that he was really bothered by it. I would have expected him to at least say something considering Lori's dying words were basically "Do the right thing." I didn't really see him being conflicted about that here.

17. Dark Meat

Dark Meat Member

That is the underlying theme with people coming together, crisis.

When Glenn saved Rick's azz, zombies were all around him and he was in immediate danger.

When Hershel saved Carl, he surely would have bled out.

When Carl saved Tyrese and Co, they were surrounded by walkers and they were carrying a recently bitten member of their group.

When Daryl saved the Mexican family, they had a baby and were surrounded by walkers.

When Carl and Rick saved Michonne outside the prison, it was only after she wasn't able to defend herself.

But when Rick and Co. passed the hitchhiker, he wasn't in an immediate life and death situation. Odds of surviving in the wild alone and seemingly without a weapon are slim to none but he wasn't currently being attacked. The hitchhiker was seemingly in good health otherwise and capable of surviving this long.

It's a slight but important difference between the hitchhiker dilemma and the other examples. Moments of life or death forces people to set aside differences and into action.

also, I wonder if the responsibility Hershel had towards Carl was due to the fact that one of his people caused the accident? Not saying Hershel hasn't turned out to be a kind man but he sure didn't want to do anything with Rick's group long term until forced to.

I just think people are too quick to throw the "good" or "bad" label on people based on appearances

#77 Dark Meat, Mar 8, 2013
  18. Donnnn

Donnnn Well-Known Member

Ah you make a good point dude!

19. Dark Meat

Dark Meat Member

thx, appreciate it!

20. walkerbiter

walkerbiter Member

I would never pick up a hitch hiker even in real life, not to mention ZA. That was very realistic reaction from Rick although that guy didn't seem dangerous but what if he had a gun, or if he was a Woodbury spy? Rick is deep down still a good guy but he has to be cold and make hard decisions in order to survive.