Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Hitchhiker Backpack Camper Guy

Discussion in 'Episode 312 - Clear' started by The Great Zombini, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Zugzwang

Zugzwang Member

Human value. The value of one specific person (and our treatment towards them) without regard for their function has always been this way. ZA or not, makes no difference. Excellent commentary on schadenfreude and greed.

2. ZombieHunterTx

ZombieHunterTx New Member

It was a tough scene to watch, but at this point and in the world which they now live; the only people you can trust are the people that you know. Each encounter with a new person could escalate into a life or death situation. Our moral code no longer exists in their world. It was gut wrenching to watch the scene play out, as Rick and company just drove away leaving the backpacker to his fate; and even more chilling when they stopped and casually picked up his pack at the end of the episode.

It is easy to pass judgement on their actions as we the viewers sit in the comfort and safety of our air conditioned houses; watching the events unfold on our big screen televisions. I don't condone their actions, but I understand their motives and while none of us can imagine ourselves doing this; we should ask ourselves if we were in their situation could we really be the people that we are now and survive. If you were protecting the resources that will keep you and and your loved ones alive, what would you do to ensure they remained yours.

In the world that the writers have created, you can die for a can of dog food; so how could you justify putting yourself or your loved ones in a situation where a stranger could take away the only things you have left. There is always someone who wants what you have in their world. Taking a chance on a stranger, could be the last mistake you make. So, as I said, I don't condone their action but I do understand them.

3. Obomonus

Obomonus Member

Not so sure about this. When it seemed like Daryl was siding with T-Dog on bringing the prisoners into the fold, he said 'Hell no!'. He was very wary of outsiders.
    Daryl did go out of his way to help the group on the bridge but I think that was because he heard a baby crying. Considering how much he cares for Judith, this makes sense for his character. If there weren't a baby on that bridge, I'm not so sure he'd go help.

4. Donnnn

Donnnn Well-Known Member

I agree with [MENTION=6200]Obomonus[/MENTION] and he may of helped, but wouldn't just let them come back to the prison

5. Zugzwang

Zugzwang Member

Good point. At least they trust Merle enough to let him stick around in the prison because hey, at least they know the guy right?

6. Zugzwang

Zugzwang Member

Nah, don't romanticize this. It's all about utility. If Rick goes completely cray and outlives his usefulness, only a matter of time before someone kills him for being dangerous and a shit stirrer — because ZA.

7. Dark Meat

Dark Meat Member

?

i show canon examples and you postulate and hyperbolize

You seem to be a person who prides herself in logic.."shit stirrer"?

8. Dark Meat

Dark Meat Member

He's actually right. They know what they are dealing with with Merle. They know of his relationship with his brother Daryl. Most importantly, they know that Daryl would leave if they didn't accept Merle.

it still may prove to be a mistake but its not Merle they're trusting, it's Daryl's judgement they are putting faith into.

9. MrSmith317

MrSmith317 Active Member

This is a great point. Had the backpacker been pushing an ice cream cart full of guns, they would have stopped, offered him a ride and some lemonade. Since he didn't have anything to offer the group(in life) he offered what he did have(in death).

10. Claymore

Claymore Member

Agreed. Also I think that Merle is bad, but he's not a chaotic random bad. They know he has a shit temper, bad attitude, and a racist mentality. They also know he isn't going to randomly rape and kill everybody because the Sun God told him too. They know crazy, and there is the chance that the guy freaking out on the side of the road could of shot them or stabbed them because he believes thats initiation to the Mickey Mouse club.

P.s I'm sorry, this is probably not the most poignant point I've ever tried to make.

11. Thedraque

Thedraque New Member

Im thinking the contents of the backpack will be very revealing

12. Obomonus

Obomonus Member

Hate to say it but Merle is an asset to Team Prison. As much of an ass he is, he has some kind of military training.
    And where else can he go? Merle will never stop being Merle but how ironic would it be if he died saving Michonne?

Sorry... I don't read the comics but this would be how I'd end him.

13. Zugzwang

Zugzwang Member

I doubt we'll have any disagreement about that. Discussions on whether the theme is "humans coming together in a crisis" or "Rick's wavering humanity" is as useless as ... well, pulling over for the hitchhiker.

Now that we've gotten that out of the way, survivors go by whether they think you have anything to offer and profit from. If you are Merle, you'll definitely be clothed and fed because tolerating the risks that come with your existence gains Daryl's marksmanship; as well as gain from your military experience. Like someone said, had the backpacker been pushing an ice cream cart full of guns... there'll probably be a welcome mat or at least, a decent chance to bargain with the group.

So we get to the obvious point here: it's all about perceived utility. Well, it's not going to take too much tea-leaf reading to see that the final conclusion is that strangers should be ignored unless they have something to offer in return. Tough luck for him.

14. Dark Meat

Dark Meat Member

I agree that the perceived utility idea comes into play. I would add the amount of cost and upkeep into the equation.

you seem to reject my crisis causing involvement statements but I wonder what perceived utility do you think that Daryl found in risking his life for the Spanish family? He gained no physical long term benefits from his actions.

15. Zugzwang

Zugzwang Member

Fixed it for you.

Physiological utility? Negative state relief.

16. Lonesome Lurker

Lonesome Lurker Active Member

I just want to see what they picked up from the guy.

17. Dark Meat

Dark Meat Member

You really didn't fix much. It is much easier to estimate the cost of strangers vs the utility of them

Aren't we going back to the hitchhiker dilemma with the whole "negative state relief model"?

Isn't that tied into the humanity discussion?

18. AtlantaOverrun

AtlantaOverrun Well-Known Member

I really laughed when they reverse to get his back..epic