Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

How awesome was the opening scene???`

Discussion in 'Episode 205 - Chupacabra' started by fatbrett2, Nov 13, 2011.

1. fatbrett2

fatbrett2 Member

That was the best show opener yet - people trying to get to Atlanta, which is overrun, and the military jamming all radio communications and firebombing the city.

2. Flesh Eater

Flesh Eater Well-Known Member

It was really good, but if they napalmed the city would it not have burned up all the walkers and yet Atlanta was overrun by them when Rick first arrived there. I loved the shot though of Shane and Lori standing on the banks and the city being napalmed int he distance...it was hauntingly beautiful.

3. Loc

Loc Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah that was awesome! Really digged this episode. Favorite one so far.

4. fatbrett2

fatbrett2 Member

It would have burned most of the ones outside and in the areas where the bombs fell. Even among those, many wouldn't be totally destroyed. Any zombie indoors/away from windows or outside the target area would survive, as would the millions flooding towards the city.

5. Hawaiian Shirt Zombie

Hawaiian Shirt Zombie Active Member

Perfect! As FB says, best opener so far!

6. Roberto Cloaked

Roberto Cloaked New Member

Eh...I didn't get why Rick, when he was on horseback...

Didn't encounter a "burned out" Atlanta?

The place seemed to be pretty normal looking considering how much napalm they seemed to be dropping.

7. zomga

zomga Member

Wouldn't the bombs have destroyed the streets and buildings and cars in the streets too? If so then how was Rick able to ride the horse around the streets?
    Or was Rick in another city??

-zomga

#7 zomga, Nov 14, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  8. fatbrett2

fatbrett2 Member

They didn't napalm and/or bomb every street/building?

9. AVC

AVC Member

Napalm is a tactical theatre weapon. Small scale stuff. It would take about a million B52s to napalm an entire city.

To do real city-wide destruction you need nukes. Or a whole lot of fuel-air bombs.

10. Por

Por New Member

I don't think they napalmed Atlanta. If you watch some videos that show how napalm explosions really look like you'll come to the same conclusion:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhS2YCpnIEY&feature=related
    As we see: Napalm seems to burn "brighter" than the stuff they fired on Atlanta.

And there is another thing....
    I think there were some (attack?) helicopters flying towards the city in that flashback-scene...as far as I know, helicopters normally don't drop bombs....maybe they just fired some air-to-ground-missiles into the bunches of zombies. That would also explain why the destruction-level of the City wasn't that big when Rick went through the streets.

By the way...I made a Gif of the scene.
    what do you think is that strafing thing on the right side above the "small" explosion?
    Could it be a strafing A 10 Warthog? :zombies_confused:
    If so, I wonder why there was no typical GAU-8/A Avenger-Sound^^
    [​IMG]

oh and...hello everyone, I'm new here :O

11. Monster

Monster Member

It was a really awesome scene! They had the highway blocked for several days so I had to detour to work, but the seen was absolutely amazing. I loved it.

#11 Monster, Nov 17, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  12. fatbrett2

fatbrett2 Member

Welcome! I think chopppers can drop bombs provided they are high enough above the ground and the bombs aren't too heavy to lift or too big to outrun in a chopper (like a nuke would be). And the napalm on the show was less bright than some portions of the actual napalm footage, but much brighter than other parts. I think the napalm mixture and the camerafilm make a big difference, as does the fact that Shane and Lori were miles away and the cameras in the 'Nam footage were right on top of the explosions.

Aside from napalm and fake movie bombs, there aren't that many other kinds of bombs that create a giant fireball - bombs don't burn, they explode. We only think conventional bombs make fireballs because movie effects people discovered a long time ago that audiences are more impressed by fire than by real explosions.

As far as why Rick didn't find the city charred, I think the best explanation is that the city wasn't saturation-bombed like the Axis cities in WWII - the strikes seemed to be fairly limited. Since Shane/Lori were going to Atlanta from the same place as Rick, you could make the argument that Rick probably entered the side of the city they were facing, but the fireballs they saw were not on the outskirts, they were set back into the city a ways. Rick didn't go very far, and if you watch the first episode again, you'll see he is almost always surrounded by military equipment. Assuming the military originally set up a fortified perimeter around the city (as opposed to placing them randomly, outisde every starbucks or something), we can speculate that Rick never got past this outer band of defenses.

Remember Shane being surprised that the radio was totally dead? That means it JUST died. The last thing they heard on the radio was the EBS message herding everyone to the cities, so Atlanta must be in the initial stages of being overrun. The crews of the aircraft (be they choppers or fixed wing) carrying out the firebombings know that the perimeter is still heavily manned with their comrades, and they would NOT drop napalm (or any other bombs) on fellow servicemen.

This could explain why Rick, who never got more than a few blocks into the city, didn't see more fire damage. Actually, if you watch the first episode again, there are a number of charred vehicles, including the bus with the hipster zombie in it, but this isn't the kind of burn damage a coating of napalm would create.

Finally, I have to admit that even if my Rick-didn't-get-far-enough-into-the-city idea is right, I would expect MANY of the zombies in the city (including at least some of the ones we saw) to be badly charred from the bombs.

#12 fatbrett2, Nov 17, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  13. The Governor

The Governor Member

Re-watching this episode I couldn't help but wonder why Lori would leave Carl with strangers. When the bombs go off and she and Shane go to investigate, she leaves Carl with people she just met, one of which is Ed's crazy ass. She just saw him flip out and shouldn't be trusting her child with these people (I wouldn't). Why on Earth would you ever leave your child in that situation? Mine would be attached to my hip.

14. Lucky

Lucky Member

I did really enjoy that. It was nice seeing how the group interacted before they really were a group.

15. kuksoolwon

kuksoolwon New Member

I know this is a late reply,I never understood how all those people who were trying to get to Atlanta died?If it wasn't from the Naplam blasts,How did they die?You see about what?100 people or so?Then only Shane,Carol,Carl & a few others were around.I wish the Writers would explain in detail these scenes

16. Cracker

Cracker Member

I love the opener, and watch it several times over whenever I watch this episode. I too was thinking your question this time however. Only Shane , Lori & Carl, and Carols family do we see again. And Carol's vehicle is the same they have later which makes me wonder how they drove out of that mess and what happened to all the others??

17. The Wolf

The Wolf Well-Known Member

I never thought of this, your right [MENTION=648]Flesh Eater[/MENTION] ,their were no signs of any napalmed vehicles, buildings or walkers, none what's so ever.
    In 28 Weeks Later they napalmed London, maybe the writers of 28 WL got the idea from the Kirkman's WD comic books and had the money, it being a big budged movie to produce it the way Kirkman intended it to look, not like AMC's TWD with it's much smaller budget.

18. greene girl

greene girl Well-Known Member

I always thought it was trauma to the head such as sun stroke which is a brain injury/brain trauma. Since that part of the brain was hurt they could not reanimate. Or else, they were in car accident and hit head on wheel causing brain stem injury. ?

19. The Wolf

The Wolf Well-Known Member

No Grimes got shot and went into a coma, Shane barricaded the door with a gurney and left him at the hospital.
    When Rick finally awoke the apocalypse had already begun.

20. greene girl

greene girl Well-Known Member

I was talking about the people in the cars on the highway.