Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

How could you not see Carol's change?

Discussion in 'Episode 616 - Last Day on Earth' started by Prufrock, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Sachiko

Sachiko Active Member

I watched Season 6B late; my father passed away unexpectedly a week before the second half started and thus I wasn't really in the mood for any TV business. I caught up yesterday however I've been seeing memes and other stuff online. How often I've seen a meme saying they ruined Carol's character! It got me really curious, I expected myself to be so disappointed.

However, I must say, my own personal opinion is that they've done well. Especially the confrontation with Paula, obviously her counterpart, her sudden craving for cigarettes, the hyperventilating and the way she had been switching between characters ever so often. This was inevitable. She went from an abused, insecure and "weak" housewife to a fearless "killer". Imo it didn't start with the kids and the church. It probably already started around the time she killed Karen and David in their sleep. While she had good intentions, I found it odd she was so cold about it. Yeah I just knifed and burned two sick people, so what?

Carol is a woman with her heart in the right place, she's somehow kind; however, she's been doing a lot of killing to protect her "family" and you cannot expect a person like her to just take it and let it change her quietly. She was bound to come back from this.

I think they've done well with this writing. It would be way more stupid imo if they just let her be a serial killer playing housewife.

2. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

Thanks for this! Sometimes I feel line I am the only person who saw all this coming with Carol. Everyone loves a badass stone cold killer, and although that's what Carol was trying to be, it was clear that she was just suppressing everything she didn't want to feel and trying to keep moving forward. But the writers often gave us clues and glimpses of what was to come for Carol, I can think of many examples where you can see that she's not keeping it together , and having a progressively harder time doing what she thinks need to be done. And it should be noted that she was only doing these things because they had to be done and she felt she was the only one capable, so it was her responsibility. Examples- killing Karen and David, she knew Rick wouldn't do it and who else would? Same with killing Lizzie, who else would do that, Tyrese? Yeah right. I get frustrated with everyone thinking her character has been ruined, if you understood her character at all you would have known this is where her path was leading, and because of this I think Carol is one of he most well written characters in the series. I'm not saying I like this side of Carol, and I don't wish she wasn't having a breakdown, but it's essential to humans to feel their emotions, she had a lot of shit that she has been pushing down and now it's all coming up and in order to continue to grow as s person she needs to feel it and deal with it.
    Sorry to hear about the loss of your father, that must have been very difficult. <3

3. mishone

mishone Member

Well, I actually did not see it coming but I am not surprised. She does whatever is needed to protect "her family" but she is now taped out, cannot do it any longer.

I agree she is one of the most written characters with many sides to her personality.

Carol will be back.

4. DarylFTW

DarylFTW Member

I'm really enjoying this thread. Thanks OP for starting it.
    I think that Carol's story with Sam was suppose to help us understand her arc. She went from loosing Sophia whom she wouldn't even go out and search for, to teach the girls that it was okay/and how to kill, to threatening to kill Sam in a horrible way. She never helped him at all. I think that story was suppose to burn inside her and show her that she was stone cold. And then we see her bring cookies to his grave. I thought she was utterly lost. ...I wondered if they should have flashed memories of the kids running thru her mind/dreams to show her huge swing. Maybe that would have made things not so sudden. I also thought they could have used some flashbacks from her marriage to show how she was conflicted with becoming more violent and lethal than her husband ever was. She could have easily felt alot of guilt and worry of how much she let Ed get away with and yet now she was getting away with worse in Sam's death.