Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

How did Negan know Rick needed to get to Hilltop?

Discussion in 'Episode 616 - Last Day on Earth' started by Spidey, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Spidey

Spidey Active Member

How did they happen to decide that the same hour maggie got sick, that they should send all their troops to 5 different roadblocks and another huge group of troops including Negan himself out? Were they doing this every single day and hour since Rick's group attacked? In any other situation if Maggie wasn't sick, Negan's plan would be a complete failure as it would end in all out war between the two groups.

2. Jag

Jag Well-Known Member

They were watching alexandria.. they know hilltop is north of Alexandria. They know half of the supplies they were getting from hilltop is gone. Plus Rick and Co have killed a good amount of their outpost guys. It's not hard to put together...

3. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

I don't remember Negan's (or his men) mentioning that they knew Rick is going to Hilltop. I think, they just said something like, ''...go where you are going to...''

I think, they just block off all the roads leading away from Alexandria. I bet there are not many roads that are connected to ASZ and so they can block them all.

4. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

They also didn't need to have troops at all of the roads. They just kept a lookout in front of the ASZ and had them call in when Rick's group left for the Hilltop. Once the call went out, the troops left their bases and went to the pre-arranged locations/

That would explain why there were 8 men at the first roadblock, 16 at the second, and more and more as time went on.

5. msmith73

msmith73 Member

it was in the script. i'm sure they read it

6. DixonBrothersS3

7. YR38

YR38 Member

Just posted this in a different thread before seeing this, but here's my take on it

8. Ctink8189

Ctink8189 New Member

Enid...little sneaky b****

9. maxlvtrojan

maxlvtrojan Member

I think this was the Saviors typical strategy when confronting a new community. They have no interest in assaulting a fortified position. During their previous encounters with our group they were after hostages who could be leveraged to get inside the community. So, they were preparing to besiege Alexandria and already had people positioned to blockade all the major roads preventing access to supplies, reinforcements, etc...And they probably committed a much larger force than usual because the Alexandrians had proven themselves far more dangerous than any community previously encountered. Maggie getting sick and the group desperately needing to get to Hilltop was just fortuitous for the Saviors.

10. Ashraf999

Ashraf999 New Member

Most likely he has a spy inside the compound of Rick and his group

11. Doozah

Doozah Member

Agreed. The sequence of events was eerily similar to something Eugene might come up with given the complex schemes he used to keep the group together and avoid DC. I discounted it at first because of the D bite, and I believe Eugene genuinely loves the group.

Eugene may have learned a lot about the Saviors while he was captured, a rough idea of the numbers, that they typically only kill one person to start their "arrangement" and could have observed the method they use to communicate. I think Eugene did the math and realized that the groups best chance for survival, at least in the short term, was working out a deal with Negan.

Although he may have worked out a deal with Dwitght/Negan when he was initially captured, (may have even pointed out Denise as the groups "doctor", I think it much more likely that he contacted Negan directly using the Saviors own ranged communication method after he got back to Alexandria. It's likely that he used a non lethal poison on Maggie to lure the group out, and brought the means to communicate with him. He probably helped plan which routes they'd take, and eventually drop them off, perhaps at a specific location. He may have even volunteered or had a hand in selecting the one to be killed. If it was Eugene, and he was doing this with the groups best interest at heart, I bet that note to Rick has a lot more than just instructions on making gunpowder. It could contain such things as a method and maybe even setup to monitor Negan's group's communication undetected, locations of Negan's settlements, a confession or some key information about the Savoirs or parts of his plan. Hell, part of the deal may have made him one of Negan's crew and he plans on being some sort of double agent.

The writer implied that the "who" that was killed is going to "change everything" and be a major focus for much of the next season. This scenario certainly could certainly fit the bill and could be a tremendous source of "flash backs" for future episodes. Either way, the complexity and nature of this "plan" just smells like Eugene to me.

On an unrelated note... This episode has shattered my underestimation of the Savior's capability. I wouldn't be shocked if they were manning those satellite dishes as part of their own cellular network.

#11 Doozah, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  12. Prophecy

Prophecy Member

I'm sure they had people watching over Alexandria and all the roads. Negan actually mentions something along the lines of all the prep they did to work out their plan to get them to that spot to show how powerful Negan is. That's not word for word, but he says something like that.

13. Terminator

Terminator Well-Known Member

Ridiculous.

14. QuantumCurt

QuantumCurt Member

I had these same thoughts at first, but I don't think it's really too much of a problem with the story. The Saviors knew that there was trade going between Alexandria and Hilltop, so they knew that they'd be traveling back and forth between the two sometimes. They didn't necessarily know that they'd be there that hour or even that day. It's possible that these roadblocks have been set up for a few days or so so now.

What I find more questionable is the fact that they took off into the woods, and of all the possible directions ended up walking straight into the camp that Negan had set up. That was pretty convenient.

15. maxlvtrojan

maxlvtrojan Member

Agree. You could argue that the speed, efficiency, luck, and even size of the Saviors were unrealistic. But their overall strategy wasn't unique for dealing with a fortified city/community.

16. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

Silly was my first thought but I think you covered it too.

That has got to be the most BitchNut theory I have read in a long time and I am mad at myself for reading it.

17. Walker97

Walker97 Active Member

IT'S ENID! Just kidding.

They took out the outpost that was the drop zone from Hilltop, they knew who they were in bed with.,..they had been watching them ever since then. I don't think this is a problem for me in the story...

18. Mr Bag

Mr Bag Member

Where else are they gonna go? I guess they could've interrogated Glenn, Daryl, Michonne and Rosita.

19. Eric Babcock

Eric Babcock New Member

Wasn't Connor watching them in the comics?

20. Prophecy

Prophecy Member

The Savior's were whisteling to draw the group to that location. The screen time is short for this, but they could've been doing it awhile to lead them to the spot.

The group was walking/running through the woods, and the Saviors were whistling their "Savior tune", drawing the group away from the sound to where they want to go. It was quick in the show, but they could of done that for awhile and eventually lead them to the spot where they needed to be, since the group seemed to be running away from the whistles.

Not to mention the Savior's knew their location the entire time, they could of easily set up cars and lights when a scout party said Rick and crew are not on foot at this location, set up in the woods and whistle to draw them to run to this location.

#20 Prophecy, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016