Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

How much did Beth know?

Discussion in 'Episode 508 - Coda' started by Zombie_Rhino, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Zombie_Rhino

Zombie_Rhino Well-Known Member

I keep thinking back to when Beth stabbed Dawn with the scissors and it really bothers me that she made such an attempt knowing what the consequences would probably be. I feel like she acted on an impulse - and a very stupid impulse at that. It's almost like in that instant, she wanted to die... because I can't think of a scenario where there isn't an ensuing gun fight between the two parties or Dawn at least reacting to the scissors.

This makes me wonder if anyone (Carol) had told Beth about her sister and the rest of the group. When doing the prisoner exchange, she only saw Rick, Daryl, Tyreese, and Sasha along with Carol and Noah of course. Perhaps she thought that everyone else was dead? Maybe in her mind in that moment she had thought that her sister along with Glenn, Carl, Michonne, and Judith were gone. She had no previous knowledge of Fr Gabe, Abe, Rosita, or Eugene - so it's not like she could be confident that the people she didn't see at the hospital could be safe with another part of their group. Besides, when Beth was taken into the hospital, she had no idea about any of the survivors whereabouts except Daryl. Maybe she thought this was it and no one else was left. Maybe that gave her the "courage" to do something in this instance because she saw what little hope was left in the world and that everyone would die soon enough anyways.

Thoughts?

2. batongal

batongal Active Member

Yes and teenagers make very impulsive and rash decisions. Beth felt she had the upper hand because she realized that Dawn had no respect which meant no back up from her cops. Beth even looks over at them before she plunges scissors in her. It just set Beth off when she said "I knew you'd be back" and the continued manipulation of people. She wanted to right the wrongs and was confidant in her new found strength she didn't want to kill herself, she took a chance and it was the wrong decision.

3. Biffster

Biffster Well-Known Member

For a teenager, Beth is very youthful looking 29 year old.

4. BarbDwyer

BarbDwyer Well-Known Member

Winner!!!

Because you know - teenage girls really are dramatic, impulsive, and over confident, and in general don't think things through - especially once they quit feeling sorry for themselves :) It is part of the package. At least she had the balls to do what all those cops with guns didn't.

5. batongal

batongal Active Member

It's the one thing I would say the writers probably got right in staying in tune with Beth's character. A lot of people won't agree with me on this but, once she was unrestricted from her father she was very impulsive, looking for booze, standing up to Daryl, burning houses down in the middle of the woods, killing walkers, running out the streets of Atlanta with nothing but a handgun, and that last move she made makes complete sense to me. I don't like it but it is consistent with the behavior of someone who is not fully mature, impulsive and a little too cocky. Too bad I was really liking the character and wanted to see more from her.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Its1brahim

Its1brahim New Member

She didn't even know about terminus before she died! Wish they showed us the interaction between carol and Beth, could've justified her attempted killing at Dawn.
    Beth did not have a valid reason to kill Dawn imo, she saved Beth and didn't tell anyone about killing that peado officer

7. WillyJakkz

WillyJakkz Active Member

Really good way of putting that as you're absolutely correct, Beth had no idea who all was left since she's been separated from everyone except Daryl since the prison.

I'm sure she was quite shocked when Rick and Co came to get her, would've been great to see a facial reaction from her when she first saw them all at the hospital since they didn't show a scene w/ her and Carol who could've told her who all had survived the prison assault.

#7 WillyJakkz, Dec 2, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  8. Kilroy was here

Kilroy was here Well-Known Member

And when did she know it?

9. Al Davis is back

I was hoping Beth was going to use a syringe filled with a poison med cocktail on Dawn.
    Then the only person who could save Dawn was the good doctor (ahem) and do you want to use the resources? It was set up perfectly for it.
    I thought the scene was stupid because the police and Rick's group would have shot each other up once the first shot was fired. The group didn't take to much cover (at least get behind the double doors instead of just standing there), and I kept waiting for someone to flank their position.

10. Zombie_Rhino

that's if Carol and her even had a chance to talk about all that. my guess is that they wouldn't want to do it when anyone else was around as they wouldn't want to alert the cross cops about a potential threat out there. also, Carol was pretty messed up and definitely had a concussion. who knows how foggy her mind was at that time. not to mention that her and Daryl left the group a few days before and anything could have happened since.

11. Zombie_Rhino

i honestly didn't even think of that, but it was set up perfectly as Beth had the key to the meds and the ability to swipe something that would poison or kill Dawn. it would have been interesting to see them put the rest of the hospital crew in the situation where they had to use resources to save Dawn. would they have? probably not...

12. whattalosa

whattalosa New Member

I don't think Beth valued her life as much as the rest of the group did. There were so many times she put her life in danger and just didn't care. 1. Slit her wrists at the farm (life was not as important as not living in the apocalypse). 2. Helping Noah escape and smiling when she was caught knowing that she could die for what she did (more value on his life than hers). 3. Almost trying to kill the doctor in plain view of everyone in the hospital for having her kill the other doctor that was unconscious (justice for the man that died over her life). 4. Stabbing Dawn in the shoulder with a scissor. She took that with her before the trade, so to me, it was planned out. What was her end game there? (killing Dawn was more important to her than her own life). I haven't been a fan of her character, but to me she led to her own demise.

13. Zombie_Rhino

you have a point. she has been pretty careless and she paid with her life because of it.

14. lynndavis1979

lynndavis1979 New Member

I wonder what she was planning to accomplish by stabbing Dawn in the shoulder...kinda like poking a bear with a stick. Plus it put the whole group at risk at a big gun fight....

15. Prufrock

Prufrock Well-Known Member

You answered your own question :)

16. Strawberry

Strawberry Member

I keep thinking about this too. Part of me wonders if she was just trying to injure Dawn and not actually kill her. It just doesn't seem right that she would stab her with those little scissors in the shoulder and expect that to bring her down.

Something I've noticed was that on Talking Dead, the guests who are part of TWD explain things that weren't shown in the episodes. For example, Gimple explained how the Termites get people to either join them or become their food, Chad Coleman said that Tyreese "thought" he killed Martin, Michael Cudlitz told a deeper story about how Abraham's family was raped by his original group. I appreciate them explaining this, but it leaves people who don't watch Talking Dead or read the comics a bit confused. Anyway, maybe Beth's poorly planned stab to Dawn will be explained at some point. Who knows.

17. lynndavis1979

lynndavis1979 New Member

I agree with you about The Talking Dead, I try to always watch it, I end up figuring some things out that weren't explained on the show :)

18. Alexa

Alexa New Member

I think that Beth didn't think Dawn would be able to react and shoot her. I was surprised how quickly she reacted, as if she already had her gun in her hand, and was expecting it.