Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Black Ops 2 Multiplayer How To: Open your NAT type for Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 for less laggy games

Discussion in 'Call of Duty: Black Ops 2' started by DJ piNoy, Nov 24, 2012.

1. smith_69

smith_69 New Member

would you follow the same for ps3?

also, BO2 is the first online game that I have noticed my NAt type changing from "open" to "moderate". not sure why it changes, does it 1 or 2 times a week. I have the same stuff running, nothing new. Verizon has not changed anything on my service or doing any repairs or anything. PS always says its the service provider and sp says its the online system.

any ideas why this changes?

2. DJ piNoy

DJ piNoy Active Member

The change was most likely your PS3 IP is dynamic so it changed how it originally was. Make your PS3's IP static and follow the steps for port forwarding.

3. Jim046

Jim046 New Member

Thanks to the OP for a pretty thorough guide, however having followed it my NAT was still strict.

After doing a bit more digging online, I stumbled upon a solution. Well it works for me anyway!!

Simply follow the OP's guide (not sure if that's absolutely necessary) if your NAT is still STRICT. Play MW2 Multiplayer, your NAT should be OPEN. Now go back to BOPS2 your NAT now should be mysteriously OPEN.

NOt a technical solution, but it worked for me. Hope this helps someone

4. Dogger

Dogger Active Member

Other than the people with moderate or strict Nat types can't be joined and have a hard time hosting.
    For Lag there is no difference like you said.

5. Dusty Ray J

Dusty Ray J New Member

I had this problem. My nat type was strict/moderate.

Here's an easy fix

type 192.168.1.1 into your browser

find out your user name and password to your router by contacting your internet provider.

Look through the areas of the router configuration page for an option where you can enable something called UPnP and enable that.

It's important to note that you shouldn't have your dmz host and UPnP enabled at the same time because this will confuse your router and keep your NAT restricted.

6. DJ piNoy

DJ piNoy Active Member

UPnP makes Xbox NAT type Open but not for Call of Duty.

7. BIG NA5TY 323

BIG NA5TY 323 New Member

8. sheperd80

sheperd80 Member

Ive never done any of this fancy stuff amd mine says NAT Open all the time, and my search is set to Best. Is there anything else i can do to mitigate the horrendous lag? Its getting unbearable. Every now and then ill get a good lobby and im juat raping then everyone leaves and its back to the lagfest.

The killcam shows it clear as day. I wont go into detail, you all know what im talkin about.

9. DJ piNoy

DJ piNoy Active Member

Try turning off recording for theater mode. If that's not the case, it's your internet connection. Do you know your ping, download speed, and upload speed?

10. sheperd80

sheperd80 Member

No i dont know any of those speeds i just know im paying for the fastest internet at&t has. Didnt see an option to turn off theater recording, ill have to look again.Thanks for the advice.

11. nucl3arboNg

nucl3arboNg Member

I had been playing with a "moderate" nat type since the game was released. I tried this guide on my ps3 and just assigning the PS3 it's own IP opened my nat up. Should I even bother with the ports is my nat is already open?

12. look_ma_no_head

look_ma_no_head New Member

Going to give this a look tonight.
    Only get th odd game where I'm lest that 4 bars.

13. nucl3arboNg

nucl3arboNg Member

Well it turns out as soon as I turned the machine off it reset back to moderate. So after some YouTube vids on how to open ports I succeeded. I opened the ports listed here, and the preset ones in the router settings for COD. Needless to say its now open and I was finding servers a lot easier. Not sure yet if its effected my lag, but time will tell.

14. GamerChunkz

GamerChunkz New Member

This is great information thanks

15. NutellaFella-

NutellaFella- New Member

OK, I have done Port Forwarding's numbers, these ones. Made my IP Static and still nothing. I noticed that when I made it static or opened ports on the IP my PS3 was on I couldnt sign in or it would sign me out before BO2 menu could load up. HELP!!! I have 30down/1.9up, how is my NAT still ******* Moderate!!!??

16. magicalkitten

magicalkitten New Member

it says these port already exist on my router but i have not set it before.

17. DJ piNoy

DJ piNoy Active Member

Hello OP here. I have been noticing some weird problems with BO: 2 lately. When I initially start the game, it says my NAT is Moderate which confused me. I check my router to see if the ports are still there amd they are. I go to the Xbox and do "Test Xbox Live connection" and everything seems fine and when I return to BO: 2, NAT type is now Open.

This isn't much of a problem but more of an annoyance. Wondering if anyone else is experiencing similar problems?

18. Pizla.mzik.cz

Pizla.mzik.cz New Member

One internet (cable provider) , one router, two computers , two black ops 2 running in same time, is´t it the reason of my troubles ? I am strict (80 percent) or moderate. I tried everithig . THX

19. madgab

madgab Member

gonna try this cuz i have alot of issue with lag even runing 16mb download also on wire too

20. frenzyplant55

frenzyplant55 Member

Too much work for a little bit of lag:lol: