Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Black Ops 2 Multiplayer How To: Open your NAT type for Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 for less laggy games

Discussion in 'Call of Duty: Black Ops 2' started by DJ piNoy, Nov 24, 2012.

1. [TSS]MrGr3yBush

That's not what the thread is about. When you have an open NAT you are capable of connecting to really any host both for games and parties, and it allows others to connect to things you host as well. When the NAT type is strict or even moderate you are missing out on many host options and in general you just have more issues playing the game.

That said an open NAT does not reduce lag. However you may see an increase in performance because you are exposed to many more hosts some of which may be of a higher quality then the others. By design a strict or moderate NAT limits you to OK and less then desirable hosts.

The main point is just a more enjoyable experience. Not being able to host games, find matches, or join sessions and parties reliable is aggravating.

2. xturmn8

xturmn8 Member

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but the way i sort my nat type out (from moderate to open) is by going to setting on xbox dashboard, network settings? (think its called network somthing) test connection. Opens my nat type every time.

3. [TSS]MrGr3yBush

For people with persistant NAT restrictions that won't work. You are having a hiccup on a properly configured network where as most do not have a proper configuration.

4. xturmn8

xturmn8 Member

yeah man, when it is properly configuered, they will be able to fix,the hiccup.

5. Keepcalm

Keepcalm Member

I've always had a open NAT and still always feel laggy. Oops.

6. [TSS]MrGr3yBush

Like I said NAT has nothing to do with lag. The only factor is host placement which may or may (will likely) not give you a positive improvement in lag.

Bottom line on lag is some people will always have it but the majority will not be free of it so long as individuals are left to host the games. Dedicated servers are the only real fix.

7. Stovy4x4ing

Stovy4x4ing Member

blah blah . Wanted to remove post but didn't know how.

This game is seriously crap though for joining friends or its the router I am connected too. Example from tonight, I tried joining a friends game I couldn't get joined up for the life of me but another friend jump they went into a party chat and I joined in on the party just fine both times I could not join in on the online portion. My Nat says open but I am not connected to the correct ports I believe. Sadly i don't have control over the router settings where I am living. Is that my issue or is it Xbox live? All before joining the party I couldn't even join the party chat. Just messed up.

Why can't Xbox live( Microsoft) make to where we can join friends easily and not having to do all this port forwarding crap.I mean they are a freaking Million dollar company damn them.

8. snipez

snipez New Member

Is there a button on my PS3 controller I can just push and avoid all these steps? Lolz

9. theedeadmau5

theedeadmau5 Active Member

if you are experiencing lag, the host's connection and ping are jacked up. the only 100% way to fix lag is for sony and microsoft to get dedicated servers.

10. EpicJaySwagg

EpicJaySwagg New Member

i dont know how to fix my connection

11. Major Rodd

Major Rodd Banned

What kind of security risk's im I in danger of? Like can someone send me a virus / keylogger / botnet? Because... I would really love to be host 24/7 but I dont wanna get hacked.

Security risks?

12. TheUser

TheUser Super Moderator
    Staff Member

13. snipez

snipez New Member

OK, being serious now.

When I go to SAVE SETTINGS for the port forwarding information, nothing happens. If I click somewhere else it tells me I have unsaved data and tells me to hit cancel to save it. I hit cancel, save settings but nothing happens.

14. LiquidSilk

LiquidSilk Member

NAT does NOT affect the lag in your game. It just allows you to connect to more people and therefore have a greater choice of games to join. This can lead to you finding faster games but des not affect lag.

15. LiquidSilk

LiquidSilk Member

Still useful to do though

16. knightbama

knightbama New Member

17. island gopher

island gopher Member

re: port forwarding

Just installed a new router (linksys N900 "smart" router).

Got it all set up etc and prioritized the thing for my ps3. Then I went to port forward for black ops 2 which, according to the info in the op, there are 7 port settings.

Problem is the port setting options in this new router only provide for a max of 3 settings of the 7 listed. I dicked around for about 1.5 hours trying to figure it all out.

Any advice (cept smashing my new router with a sledge hammer) would be very very welcome.

18. OG1-KENOBI

OG1-KENOBI Well-Known Member

Why would you EVER WANT TO BE HOST on BLOPS2?

The second I'm host on Blops 2 I know it and leave instantly. Its unplayable for me and thousands of others.

19. OG1-KENOBI

OG1-KENOBI Well-Known Member

Some routers that are supplied by you isp are locked out of open nats. I had the same issue with my last router being stuck on mid no matter what changes I made. I bought a new router and bingo open nats and been flying ever since.

20. DJ piNoy

DJ piNoy Active Member

Because there IS an advantage being host and host "disadvantage" is just people's way of complaints of general lag itself. In an online game there is ALWAYS going to be lag unless we can somehow break the barrier of sending digital packet info past the speed of light.

[youtube]xyCQtUFOJmA[/youtube]

[youtube]pgvDvAb4lOE[/youtube]