Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

How would you make the ASZ safer?

Discussion in 'Episode 513 - Forget' started by RoboLives, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

the guns aren't for walkers. I'd use spears for that. the guns are so your group can ALL fight when bandits show up, and they will. For example, if group like Rick's came but wanted to kill everyone, everyone of them can shoot and fight. In your group of 60, how many can? If that number was 60, you'd probably live to see tomorrow.

2. Negan Grimes

Negan Grimes Member

I think the others would use them on walkers though.

3. surviving

surviving Well-Known Member

From an engineering stand point outside is stronger. A36 structural steel is approximately 60% stronger in tension than compression. With the supports on the outside the supports are in tension when someone or thing pushes against the fence. But for this design to work the supports have to be anchored properly. As far as keeping someone off of them I would wrap them with concertia wire and also encircle the wall with concertia wire to create a no mans land.
    Actually it is probably incorrect to call them supports because they arent holding the wall up but instead they are reinforcing the wall.

#43 surviving, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  4. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

And actually, if they built the wall at the beginning of the collapse, the ONLY threat they would be worried about was walkers, not bandits. So making the wall as strong as possible would be their first priority, as walkers couldn't climb. Even for people it would be hard to climb one of those supports, probably just as easy to throw a hook over the wall with a knotted rope or climb a tall ladder.

5. Darylette

Darylette Member

For me the number one thing is getting them toughened up. The inhabitants are far too soft, our guys can't rely on them if the shit hits the fan (which it will do). I'd take them on raids, get them used to killing walkers and seeing what the world is really like. If walkers attack they need to be able to kill them. If people attack you need them to be able to negotiate, front them and kill them if needed.

Set organised runs and plot the surroundings on a map. Work out the most likely lines of attack, areas people might come from and focus protection on them.

6. Spidey

Spidey Active Member

I would build two or three more sets of walls. If outside goes down still have plenty more. This will keep ot safe from invaders. Id also find a way to pile up debris and dead walkers on the roads leading into town so nobody can bring any vehicles anywhere near it. This would be a huge protection as any threat on foot can be sniped from a distance unless they drove in fast, so making threats walk in from a half mile distance would be absolutely huge.

#46 Spidey, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  7. surviving

surviving Well-Known Member

Yes, that is the idea behind the design. When Rick talks with Deanna about lookouts and the need for patrols of the perimeter, she doesn't see the need because they haven't had any problem with other groups. I would add the razor wire to the supports and around the outside perimeter to keep people and walker away from the wall base. That would help eliminate the two scenarios you describe.

8. Steppin' Razor

Exactly what I was thinking. Should be reinforcing and building it up all the time. They literally have nothing but time....

9. lovethishow

lovethishow Member

This is what i was thinking. Take a few notes from the Governor and woodbury. They had that loud contraption and a ditch that lured nearby zombies to it. Then take care of them.

The Governor was crazy but he was also smart.

10. lovethishow

lovethishow Member

Here are a few other things that Alexandria needs:

1. An evacuation/safety plan. Remember at the Prison they had that bus ready to go if shit went down, and they had a plan together. Although it did not work out THAT GREAT when the Prison went under, its still better than no plan at all. On top of this, they should have a meeting point for if everything went under and they had to split up. This was the one major flaw at the Prison. They should have had a meeting point a mile or so away that they could have gone to so that they wouldn't get split up!

2. Start a major vegetable garden. If they could produce their own food, they wouldn't have to go out on runs for food as often. I honestly think this is the first big step towards sustainability inside Alexandria. They can keep people out with all of the great tactics and techniques everyone is posting about... but they will never last without growing their own food.

11. ella_k

ella_k Member

So many great ideas here. Would really love to see some of them play out on the screen. It adds to the realism. The everyday struggle, digging ditches to avoid walkers etc ... would be an interesting change. I`ve been wondering why Rick and co haven't shared their experiences with ASZ ... if I`d meet people like the ASZ people and decided they`re ok, decided to stay, I`d probably blurt out right away "Yeah but hey, you have no idea what kind of people we`ve come across. We needed to do x y z ASAP because it`d only a matter of time it happens again." Add some nice details about tanks and throats being ripped out and everyone should be abroad.

12. bluesfan

bluesfan Active Member

sharks with frikkin lazers

13. Rocky

Rocky Member

All of the above.

Cover the bracing struts with grease or engine oil scavenged from wrecked vehicles, there's plenty around.

14. Negan Grimes

Negan Grimes Member

Perhaps cover them halfway up so someone would start to work their way up and then fall. It would be more funny and it would give a scout less of an idea that they couldn't go in that way. It might ruin an entire plan forcing an invading group to regroup and giving our survivors the heads up.

15. RoboLives

RoboLives Member

Good point, but I think is just part of the story line. If they built the wall perfectly then nobody could get in. And what's the fun in that.

16. RoboLives

RoboLives Member

I think this discussion is awesome!
    I think the ASZ as a parallel to modern life.

We have the ASZ isolationist who don't see any real danger from the outside world and are only interested in forming a working community and having dinner parties.
    Then we have the ones that have seen what the real world is all about and want to help, educate and defend the isolationist of the ASZ from what may and will probably come for their resources.

Oh and I would put up Biohazard or Infected signs outside the walls to discourage intruders.

17. gavuk

gavuk Member

Claymores!!

18. WalkingBuckeye

WalkingBuckeye Well-Known Member

This is more an observation on my own reaction than practical tips, but for what it's worth-the more I read these over (and commend myself on getting involved with such intelligent people) the more I find myself disliking Alexandria's residents. I know that Reg mentioned how the community had brought together people who wouldn't have met under other circumstances, and I'm trying to hold onto that. They probably robbed a mall; that's why they all look so damn interchangeable. But damn, there is such disconnect between our group and ASZ; more so than with Terminus or Woodbury. These folks just seem so damn country-club; enjoying the foie gras at the cocktail hours. Hmm..the farm girl in me seems to be getting riled up.

19. Tigger

Tigger Active Member

I've been wanting to scream "tension=tolerate and compression=collapse" since the whole argument began. You stated it in a more succinct and universal way. Thank you.

20. Montyzuma

Montyzuma Member

And charge up the batteries!