Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Hwy 16 or Hwy 23?

Discussion in 'Episode 511 - The Distance' started by Phantasm, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Phantasm

Phantasm Member

I guess it just doesnt make sense to me why Aaron wanted to take hwy 16 but Rick wanted to take hwy 23. It has nothing to do with which road was cleared and which wasnt cleared. It's a directional thing. All North/South Roads are odd Numbers, while all even Number hwys are East West. They wouldnt run in the same direction so why would Rick want to take Hwy 23?

#1 Phantasm, Feb 23, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  2. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

That's definitely not true in my state. I think you have it reversed, actually. One of the main east/west highways in the western part of NY is the 86. But highways aren't just east/west vs. north/south on the short term. Sometimes they turn directions. The main highway that they would follow north from Richmond to get to DC is 95, an odd number.

Your rule applies to major and interstate highways. You only have to look at a map of the VA area where they are located, to see that highways of even/odd numbers can run parallel for fair amounts of distances. 218 runs east/west near the top, as does 17 near the bottom.

[​IMG]

Rick wanted to take an alternate route than the one Aaron recommended because he was afraid of an ambush.

#2 Neuropyramidal, Feb 23, 2015
  3. Phantasm

Phantasm Member

4. Neuropyramidal

Yeah, applies to major and interstate highways, like I said. Take a gander at the pic of google maps I posted above, and you'll see that odd/even numbers can travel parallel. ;)

5. Lori Grimes

Lori Grimes Active Member

is it true dogs poop on the north south axis? I read that the other day.

Maybe Rick just needed to go potty. :p

6. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

When Rick said 23 I got excited because I've been on it so many times...it runs through Michigan :) :p

7. CoyoteTWD

CoyoteTWD Well-Known Member

I was going to respond as to how the statement wasn't entirely true but I see that [MENTION=7785]Neuropyramidal[/MENTION] did all the work for me. Thank goodness because I'm lazy and he had visual aids and stuff.

8. 8307c4

8307c4 Well-Known Member

The problem is I'm from Virginia and neither of those routes would run anywhere near Alexandria. Both of them run through the south western corner of the state and while they do head in a rough northbound direction... Both start at the North Carolina border and one heads into Kentucky while the other into West Virginia (keeping in mind the border between Kentucky and West Virginia runs right there so it's only about 30 or 50 or so miles apart) but they are actually short and twisty mountain roads that go on for a bit but it's not a road I would choose if I had 50 or 100 miles to travel other than perhaps getting to a main road... Even then it makes no sense to head that way at all, if you were headed towards DC.

VA-16 (It's not route 16, there is no route 16 in Virginia but there is a state "route" or VA-16):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_State_Route_16#mediaviewer/File:VA_16_map.svg

And US Route 23 (yes this one is a route, or US 23 for short):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_23_in_Virginia#mediaviewer/File:US_23_(VA)_map.svg

Keeping in mind Alexandria is right at the top right corner of Virginia, just south of DC.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandria,_Virginia

These routes and the city they're trying to reach are about as opposite in location as could be.

#8 8307c4, Feb 23, 2015
  9. TheTunnelRunner

If people from Alexandria are out stealing license plates, they may be out switching road signs too. That would be so much fun to mess with people trying to survive the Zombie Apocalypse! That would also explain why Rick's group couldn't find water for two days, when they would have always been within a half hour walk from a major source of water.

10. CSFurious

CSFurious Member

the problem is that this is science fiction and the need for it to be similar to reality is minimal

11. TheTunnelRunner

Except that they have used real town names and routes as a reference in past storylines. Just more inconsistency from the show.

12. CSFurious

CSFurious Member

only the people in VA who watch the show would even care about that

13. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

Amen,the point clearly was that Rick was being as careful of this new guys plan as he could be and thats all.

It might be a lack of continuity and I suggest that when you have your own shows on TV that you make sure the reality matches the fiction if it bothers you still.

What I still don't grasp however is exactly where the RV went and how could it not pass them or be in another different direction entirely f they took the other road-16?

Also what was Aaron so upset about when he saw the flair that made him jump from the car while still bound during Michoinnes questions?

It just made him seem guilty to me but then after they reunite all is OK again?

It was confusing to me.

14. el_hombre

el_hombre Member

Heh, as a non-American with absolutely no knowledge of American roads, I'm happy to say that any errors in these details had no impact whatsoever on my ability to enjoy this episode:)
    Happy days, brahs!!!

15. Neuropyramidal

Its not really an inconsistency. Shows and movies base some locations and events on real geographical locations, and others they make up. The show is fiction. So, some things in it will be, well....fiction.

16. OaklandBorn

OaklandBorn Member

the people at Alexandria arent stealing license plates its just Aaron and Eric who steal them

17. Neuropyramidal

Yeah, cause collecting license plates from all 50 states is definitely a gateway drug to road sign switching.

18. SZQ

SZQ Member

You're right! I live very Shirewilt Estates here in Chesterico.

19. CSFurious

CSFurious Member

the flare was definitely a danger signal between Aaron and his boyfriend and that is why he was very alarmed when it went off.

the RV went towards the flare but i agree that there are some plot-holes there, i think that they film scenes and then have to edit it for air and how the RV made it to the water tower where Aaron's boyfriend was hit the "cutting room" floor

20. Lummsy200

Lummsy200 Member

I live in Virginia and in the FredVegas Metro area....I was slightly annoyed by the roads being wrong but not enough to really care about it for longer than 4 seconds.