Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

I actually don't like Horror today

Discussion in 'Horror Discussion' started by GreekSalads, Feb 4, 2013.

1. GreekSalads

GreekSalads Active Member

Seems like 90% of the horror movies that come out these days is either slasher films or some "scary" ghost movie. I don't like them at all. One slasher movies are overdone, the stereotypical teenagers get killed off by the invincible killer and repeats itself over and over again with a set of sequels .The ghost films are the same thing. Haunted house, people move in, children act weird but adults don't see anything until half way through the film. Boring, and it's just trying to appeal to the younger audience.

Therefore, I do not like horror at all. Only few horror films amaze me.

2. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

Agreed. Modern horror is sh*t.

3. Alina

Alina Well-Known Member

I guess the thing is that once you've seen a sufficient number of horror movies it's much more difficult to surprise you. You know when to expect the jump scares. And yeah, you're right, modern horror slashers or poltergeists are designed for 14 year olds who don't sit there and think "oh no, she's going into the basement without turning on the light in order to investigate strange noises....boring" because they haven't seen it five million times before.

4. Axel

Axel Well-Known Member

I love all horror films - old and new!

5. Sunshine

Sunshine Active Member

It has to have elements of supense to be truely scary to me

Old black & whites are sometimes creepy as freak and really get under my skin

6. rabscuttle1

rabscuttle1 Well-Known Member

I can't stand horror movies that are rated PG-13. I want a good gore drenched creature feature. I don't watch horror for the story because if you do that more times than not you'll be disappointed. I watch horror for the gore and death. And every now and again a horror movie surprises me with a good story.

7. STRINGS

STRINGS Well-Known Member

Agreed!! 'The Ring' & all the ones like it that were inspired by the Japanese Ghost movies like 'Ju-On' (and all the other shittier American remakes) that have the emo, white-powder stretchy faces that scream obnoxiously @ it's prey!! I'd so donkey punch the shit out of any of those punk ass ghosts!!

8. GreekSalads

GreekSalads Active Member

I actually like japanese ghost movies because they really do scare me. The japanese are good at that. The american remakes to Ju-On and The Ring suck though.

9. STRINGS

STRINGS Well-Known Member

You might get a kick outta this then Greek...
    [video=youtube;yUD4cuTQn2E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUD4cuTQn2E[/video]

10. Robovampire

Robovampire Member

11. RookertakesKing

I would tend to agree, the horrOR (cause thats how I emphasis my pronunciation) you see today doesn't try do anything new half the time, which is sort of the point of it all, experimental cinema and all that.

Anybody seen The Innkeepers by Ti West, goes along at a fairly slow pace which rather then get boring gives you time to ponder whats goin on and when that happens it has creeped into your head so when the shit does go down you scare yourself more than the film alone could.

You need the patience for the payoff though so I am sure a lot of people would't like it, I think its a horrOR movie for people that focus too much on the finer details, like me. To a point where it is obsessive.

12. Outdoorsguy

Outdoorsguy Member

actually no.. its called over reliance on CGI, bad script and bad directing and over reliance on tropes like the one you cited. they dont try to be original.. they fail to build atmosphere through story, they fail to build a character or characters views can connect to or like and they have no clue how to use timing, and they almost all use the same ending. Everybody dies, or..Everybody dies but main character and as the final scene fades to black, the Crazed Killer, ghost, or pissed off gopher is seen or heard behind them.

13. Alina

Alina Well-Known Member

Any horror movies you'd suggest for their originality?

14. TechoTactical

TechoTactical Member

lol, if you see the trailers for warz it looks AWFUL they have cgi zombies which look terrible.

.[/QUOTE]

15. Outdoorsguy

Outdoorsguy Member

Ive seen the trailer LOL and have no intention of watching the movie.

Alina as far as Original.. Ill have to think about it. I did find Fragile decent and somewhat original, Scary no, a few thrills and chills here and there. But not a bad movie overall. Shutter had its moments. but then again I'm a fan of the classic horror movies Like the Changeling, Legend of Hell house, or the haunting. stuff that was driven by story and atmosphere. all if it is of course dated today.

16. boutte

boutte Active Member

The worst is the jump scare. They set it up so you know it's coming it's just a matter of at what exact second it's going to happen. Then after a few seconds of anticipation something jumps in your face and from the low volume background music a super loud chord slaps you at the same time. People say "Oh that scared the shit out of me!"

No it didn't. It startled you. There's a big difference. It's a just a cheap trick. Any hack can do it. A perfect example of that is in the Exorcist there is a scene where the priest is reading something in a quiet room when suddenly the phone rings loudly. Everyone in the theater screams.

17. skaaaa

skaaaa Well-Known Member

I don't either.... Then again I don't really like Horror honestly.

18. JimmyBones

JimmyBones Member

i agree with the OP argument, but i love horror flicks..no they arent as bone chilling scary of thoose from the past
    but i watch for shock for entertainment.

19. Alycat32

Alycat32 New Member

I am going to out myself and admit I enjoy the unscary crap horror of the 80s and 90s. No weird psychological stuff thrown at you like people walking like a crab upstairs with their head on backwards. I like the disturbing ones like American Gothic a d Sleep Away Camp.

I liked Amityville and Poltergeist for their suttle creepy ness, and appreciate that while the loudness and tempo of the score still indicates something's about to happen, it's not loud as all get out for startle purposes.

20. Outdoorsguy

Outdoorsguy Member

What How dare you not like the exorcist crab walk. Heathen Heathen I say LOL. If you dont think thats scary.. I want you to go stay with my ex demon in law.. she does that every morning before she has her coffee.