Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

I actually don't like Horror today

Discussion in 'Horror Discussion' started by GreekSalads, Feb 4, 2013.

1. GirllovesGuns

GirllovesGuns Member

I agree. I even love the bad shit.

2. Axel

Axel Well-Known Member

Me too!

I spend a lot of time watching the Horror Channel over here and they play a lot of low budget stuff. Awful but inredibly enjoyable at the same time!

Good to know I'm not alone! :)

3. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

I can only enjoy the bad stuff during the Halloween season. Just because it helps continue the "mood" of my favorite month. Throughout the rest of the year, i'm quite picky about horror films. IMHO, 9 out of 10 horror films are garbage. It's rare to find something truly great.

4. Voncroy

Voncroy Member

There are still good horror movies out there specially from Europe! :)

5. Flesh Eater

Flesh Eater Well-Known Member

I agree regarding todays horror films, though i find some entertaining I would never call them great. Some of an ok story, but it's the same ole cookie cutter fodder they spit out year after year. I should have quoted someone here and sorry too lazy to go back and find who said it but yeah I like the older classics that have suspense and a story way better. The original "The Haunting" with Julie Harris is great...its' suspenseful with a good story and creepy as hell. I also enjoy some of the older maybe cheesier ones with Vincent Price, like House of Wax, The Pit and the Pendalum, etc. and I grew up watching those campy Christopher Lee/Peter Cushing vampire movies...lol. I still love the really old classics like Frankenstein, The Mummy with Boris Karloff, true not scary in todays market but good movies. I also love the 50's creature flicks like "Them", "Creature from the Black Lagoon", etc. etc.

What irritates me the most during the Halloween season is that almost all of the channels play the same stupid crap every year. Marathons of Jason, Mike Myers, Freddy Kruger and Chucky. One day AMC or TNT not sure which did do an Aliens marathon which I enjoyed and The Exorcist one night but no one has shown other greats like Invasion of the Body Snatchers with Donald Sutherland or The Shining. I mean really there are so many films they can show but no, they play the same crap all the time. This year I've really been enjoying TCM though, it's the old stuff but it's been way more fun watching those. They've shown some great classics.

I won't say all modern day horror films are just garbarge but yeah the majority are. Sometimes it's the idea of something, the sound of something that can scare you more than just shock full on in your face moments.

#25 Flesh Eater, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Pinkman

Pinkman Member

I'm not a fan of horror media. I'm a total flake when it comes to anything scary. hahah

7. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

I watched about 20 minutes of chucky on AMC's Halloween marathon and turned it off..

I used to be totally scared of chucky when I was a teen, Chucky is boring now that I'm old lol

8. Shane's Brainz

I like anything scary, BUT I do agree that todays horror genre is not that great. Ive seen a few really good horror movies in the last decade the rest were "ok" But I will watch anything scary , except the human centipede I refuse to watch that lol

9. SpawnAgain1

SpawnAgain1 Member

Recent Horror movies are more "shock value" these days...such as the Human Centipede ( God awful ). I lost interest but A FEW French films have been superb over the last few years in my opinion Films such as "Inside" "Frontiers" and one of the best ive seen in "Martyrs" although some scenes were hard to take it was a superb film. as for Ghosts type flicks "Insidious" was great and i liked the old skool Jumpy horror of the "woman in black"....but on the whole as its been said Horror movies have suffered as its pretty much all been done its hard to re-imagine it. I suppose that's why we have all the reboots.

10. RonRevogeht

RonRevogeht Member

Have you seen Troll or Troll 2?

11. melthebell

melthebell Well-Known Member

i dont really enjoy most horror made these days, stuff like paranormal activity and the "teen" films i just dont get, maybe its my age, i come from the age of video nasties so love the 70s, 80s stuff mostly.

crap stuff as well as the classic stuff granted, but there has to be something about it, once in awhile a good interesting film comes around but generally its all crap

12. steely

steely Well-Known Member

New horror movies always seem to have the same plot. Ghosts that are evil. And they all seem to use the same "style" of filming. They look virtually identical.

13. Joe Tremblay

Joe Tremblay Member

horror isn't what it used to be. TWD though is a great spin on new and exciting ways to horrify people. Probably why we all love it so much.

14. jj_vsp

jj_vsp Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree, I think it just got a little over saturated with all these sequels to some of the original classic horror films. I'm older and movies like the first Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street and other slasher horror films of the 70's and 80's should've stopped after one or maybe two sequels in their series. The quality just seemed to go down so much in most of them.

15. NickJ

NickJ Member

Studios are only making "safe" movies now. Between pirating, and home viewing, they're afraid of losing money or so called "brave" projects. All of the good stuff for the most part is coming from the indie side of the genre.

16. Joe Tremblay

Joe Tremblay Member

That's true, Hollywood is a business and they play by the numbers. Every great once and a while, they will experiment with something new, which usually rocks, but then they make 200 sequels for it and it loses it's steam. What I would like, is instead of doing sequels, do prequels instead. Like, how did Freddy Kreuger become Freddy? I want to see the original story behind Amityville etc etc.

17. NickJ

NickJ Member

Nah, the Freddy story has been told to death. He was a pedophile who was burned alive when the parents hurled Molotov Cocktails at his house and it burned to the ground with him inside. They also touched on that in "Freddy's Dead", when as the house was burning..... the dream demons showed up and offered him immortality. I think at this point, it's time to create a new mainstream horror icon. Stop recycling the old ones. Michael Myers is the only one with any mystery left.

18. Little Sister

Little Sister New Member

I can't think of many new horror movies that I've enjoyed either. More often than not they get a simple "Meh that was okay" but it's really hard to come by a really good, horror movie these days. A lot of them just blend together for me since a lot are so similar, especially the ghost/paranormal ones I've seen.

19. NickJ

NickJ Member

Those paranormal horror films aren't going away any time soon. Ghost/Paranormal reality shows are becoming super hot now. Which means films about the paranormal are gonna keep on being churned out.

20. hackandslash

hackandslash Member

Yeah. I agree. Gone are the days when horror movies were really scary not because of the scary looking make-up of people, but because they were very frightening as a whole. Most movies today are about possessions. I don't know what started the trend, but it's kind of boring and repetitive already.