Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

I am having major issues with The Rise of the Gov.

Discussion in 'Novels and Paperbacks' started by Negan, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Damrod

Damrod Member

I am enjoying the books since the show is on the break till October. That is a good plot twist there. I can see it happening. He wanted to be like his brother always, so the edge came and he fell off it right into Phillip.

2. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I'm just finishing this book, and I don't think this is a mistake. The comic vs. novel vs. TV universe overlap, but are not identical. The TWD TV series also shows cars from well after 2003. No mistake here. Just multiple universes that are not identical. However, the dork in me did find a few technical errors in the book, such as extensions cords which were originally mentioned to be 28 feet long, and a few pages later stated as 25 feet long, as well as an apartment complex which was originally stated to be 'the tallest building on the block', but later is of equal or less height to the building next door.

3. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

Novel and comic universe are one and the same but I agree the mistake is minor. A year was never given for the apocalypse anyway.

4. Neuropyramidal

Interesting. Did Kirkman say somewhere that comic/novel universes are the same? I can't pinpoint any real differences yet [although there hasn't been much overlap, hard to tell], except for the fact that in the Novel Brian is only 5' 7", whereas in the comics, he stands as tall or taller than Rick when he walks next to him.

5. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

They have been billed as in the comic universe since the first book came out. Just like the telltale game. The entire point was to give backstory to the comics.
    The novels are showing how the gov. became who he was. The 3rd novel is going to overlap completely and include the governor's side of the prison arc and Rick will show up.

6. Neuropyramidal

As I read, it seems that the comics and novels are very close to being the same, but I'm noticing a few small differences. Another difference is that in the comics, Martinez was a gym teacher who never married and had no children. In the novel he has an ex wife, and a kid who 'up and disappeared'. But i agree, comics and novels are pretty close.

7. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

They are completely in the same universe but there are discrepancies. It wasn't kirk who did the writing. they are just mistakes. They are canon to the comics.

8. The1WhoKnocks

The1WhoKnocks Active Member

The ZA takes place circa 2011..... Kirkman at the 2013 SDCC. Also mentioned several times on TD.

9. kennyisalive94

kennyisalive94 Well-Known Member

He's mentioned in an interview that the comics don't take place in 2003.

They take place....in your imagination.

10. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

Oh he did come out and say that? And here i thought i was so smart figuring it out from a few lines in the novel that were mentioned :)

11. jwcoombs

jwcoombs Well-Known Member

LOL I'm surprised no one has mention Josh Lee Hamilton's gravestone reading B. 1/15/69 D. 11/21/12

12. Sadie Dixon

Sadie Dixon Active Member

Who cares if there are spelling mistakes? Or if they make mistakes? I think it's a great book

[​IMG]

13. TS19

TS19 New Member

I knew I wasn't imagining the Martinez being married and having kids thing, I remember he told Lilly about his family but in the most recent book fall of the govenor pt2 after they find Martinez is says something like 'Martinez was never married and didn't have any kids but he loved the kids he taught as a gym teacher like his own'. I was really confused reading that part because I was sure in the earlier book we were told he had a family and now I know. I love the books, but that doesn't seem like it was proofread very well.

14. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

I just finished reading Rise of the Governor this weekend. I had some problems with the book early on, but really did get into it by the midpoint. If this was a stand alone novel it certainly wouldn't have worked, but when you're already invested in the TV show and comics it is enjoyable.

15. Sadie Dixon

I'm reading fall of the governor part 2 now

16. Stealth

Without giving spoilers, do the books after Rise maintain the same level, get better, or worse? I just bought The Road to Woodbury off of ebay. It's a good way to fill TWD void until the show returns in October.

17. Sadie Dixon

I think they got better every book...that's just my opinion though

18. Stealth

Thanks, that's good to hear. I don't know if I just became accustomed to the style or what but I even felt that the Rise of the Governor got better as it went along. Some people didn't like the Brian/Philip twist, but it worked for me. The key clue was that the book predominately gave us the point of view through the eyes of Brian from the start.

19. Sadie Dixon

I liked the twist as well. They're great books. I'll never understand why people thought they were horrible books

20. Stealth

I'd like to see the books used as a basis for the 2015 spinoff. The Walking Dead companion series could be used to flesh out the backstory of some of the characters from the main show. They could've done a couple of seasons on the Governor. Merle could've been incorporated as well. I know it's tough to have people overlap in the series because they'd never have time off, but the Governor's story could be done without that since he's now gone along with Merle and Martinez etc.