Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

I am having major issues with The Rise of the Gov.

Discussion in 'Novels and Paperbacks' started by Negan, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Sadie Dixon

Sadie Dixon Active Member

Agreed..that would actually be a really cool idea

2. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

Yes, not only would it help promote the books further as the show did with the comics, but I think it strengthens the overall franchise. My concern is that the spinoff show, which is rumored to be in a whole new universe with different characters, will eventually make people tire of the show sooner than they would if they just stuck to the main storyline. I believe they are going to do another set of background story books in the future, so that could then be used as the second story for the companion TV series once the Governor's story was full told.

3. Sadie Dixon

Sadie Dixon Active Member

I don't think I'd be able to watch if all the main characters were dead...it just wouldn't be the same imho

4. pjckmen

pjckmen New Member

Very interesting and rewarding. many thanks I love it

5. marsyao

marsyao Member

It is too late for that, thanks for Glen Mazzare and Scott Gimple, the prison-Woodbury story line which is the best portion of the comic is utterly ruined in the TV show, why would anyone be interested in the background story of the TV Governor?

6. juju444

juju444 New Member

I would be very interested in learning the TV Governor's backstory! I enjoyed the prison/Woodbury storyline on the show...just as I enjoyed that storyline in the comic.

7. LoudSilence

LoudSilence Member

I think there's been enough about the Governor on the show, I'd like to see a Bob back story or even Tyreese, Karen etc.

8. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

They get worse. Both 'Fall' books are about 70% just a rewrite of the exact events that occur in the novel, without much new insight. Because the story was a bit longer than the first two books, instead of just giving us our money's worth with a longer book, they split it into 2 shorter books [as if the first two books weren't diminutive enough, at about 280 pages each], making twice the cash. The Fall books were a total easy money cash grab mostly consisting of a rehash of a plot that was already laid out in detail in the comics. And the writing was so over the top. There was a ridiculous metaphor or simile at least once or twice every paragraph, giving the books an unintended satirical sense. I got the sense that since Jay Bonansinga had most of his plot already written for him, he decided to use his energy coming up with insultingly cartoonish metaphors.

I am really hopping for an improvement in the next 4 installments. The fact that the next novels will be fresh original material is encouraging. The first 2 books in these series were passable, and I enjoyed them due to their relation to TWD, but to be honest, if it wasn't for their connection to The Walking Dead universe, I would probably never touch this series.

#48 Neuropyramidal, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  9. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

You're right. It does get worse. I'm on Fall Pt 1 now and I'm reading it very, very slowly. It's always bad when you're reading something and you start thinking how it could've been done better. It's like they didn't even try.

As you said, the first 2 books were okay. I enjoyed them too since they were in TWD universe. They could've made a couple of decent novels on all the source material of the Governor, but pushed it too far. That's my concern with the spinoff series, that the whole product will suffer due to them not only spreading themselves too thin creatively, but trying to squeeze too much out of the franchise.

10. Airborne

Airborne Member

Delta force marine!

11. jimmora

jimmora Member

First of all you absolutely have no idea what year it is or what year it isn't. You're sitting back there saying what year it should be or shouldn't be, this year is 2011, this year is 2003....You never went to the writer meetings. You absolutely have no idea how much time they spent on writing. I'm gonna tell you something, and this comes from the heart, don't ever ask for me to respond to your posts because when I do occasionally read it, it really makes me want to vomit.

12. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

[MENTION=55841]DietWater[/MENTION], I think you should be in charge of the jimmora mention bomb.

13. DietWater

DietWater Well-Known Member

I would, but just thinking about it makes me want to vomit, and not go into the house.

14. TheILLness

TheILLness Well-Known Member

im a lil over halfway thru Rise and my biggest complaint so far is how the Blakes left the Chalmers family. i would be fine with the Blakes being kicked out or w/e but it atleast could have been written better. it just feels like a loose end and not bc April and Tara were still alive when they left.

15. TheILLness

i already read Road to Woodbury and liked it quite a bit. still have to finish Rise but i have a feeling ill like Road better

altho i hated

16. jimmora

jimmora Member

I don't think you're a Walking Dead supporter...I don't think you care about Walking Dead. There is no way I will ever be in your thread, so don't even ask me.

#56 jimmora, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  17. TheILLness

[​IMG]

18. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

They only go downhill after Road to Woodbury. I think the first two novels were the only ones with high enough quality that they are able to stand on their own. After that, they are written like Jay knew he could sell a used napkin as long as it had the TWD name on it.

19. TheILLness

yea ill probably just look up the plot synopsis once they are posted on TWD wiki.

finished Rise and liked it. altho i have a hard time believing thats the same guy we saw ****in shit up in the comics. i know its a backstory and theyre trying to show how he went from Brian to the Gov, but idk. i do think from the firefight at the orchard to the end is just fantastic. not that the parts up til then were boring or sucked but it was slow and tempting to skip ahead at times. it was like going from season 2 of the show to first half of season 5

20. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

#60 Morgotha, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2015