Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

I didn't like the time jumps

Discussion in 'Episode 701 - The Day Will Come When You Won't Be' started by westwingnut, Oct 26, 2016.

1. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

My first post for this episode covered this idea. But I need to expand on it, and I think it rates its own thread.

I expected to see the "kill(s)" before the first commercial break. I did not expect to see the repartee between Rick and Negan, which I had seen in the trailer, before the opening credits. So when the opening scene started I found myself thinking, "Gawd, they're still being too smart for their own good with the time jumps. If the material is so great that it will justify the cliffhanger, why do they need to artsy-fartsy it up with more time shifts?"

Imo, they would have been better off not showing any opening scene at all. Start with the opening credits, then show events unfold as they occurred. Let the audience experience the horror in the same order as our heroes.

<--- Aaaaarrrrrrrgggggggggg.

2. Camilleyun

Camilleyun Well-Known Member

I have to agree and this is really my only complaint with this episode. They told us the premier would pick up EXACTLY where it left off, so I was fully expecting the lineup scene from a different POV... The opening scene was a replay of the "sneak peak" we all just watched last week and I got impatient real quick. It didn't really bother me that we experienced the deaths as Rick's flashbacks as much as the time it took for them to actually show them. Bastards.

3. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

OK, so except for one other person, I am alone in my opinion about the time jumps. But I gotta say, the shots of Rick on top of the RV during the scene where Negan kills Abe and Glenn are really disconcerting.

4. hiddeninside

hiddeninside Member

No, you're not alone. It's just that I somehow haven't seen this thread before. :zombies_confused: I was very confused by the time jumps when I watched the episode for the first time. I've also read some critiques where they complained that you only learn who died after 20 minutes. But - as confused as I was - I'm not sure if the episode would have been better if they'd told it linearly. I think they did it because the story was focused on "breaking Rick". So, they put his recalcitrant words in the beginning and finish the episode with him completely broken. :( This and to hook those viewers a bit longer (for the quotes) who were only there to learn who died. :Grin:

5. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

I was confused and pissed off trying to wait for the real thing and understand what the hell we were watching?
    I agree,Artsy Fartsy and just insulting Bait and Switch.
    They seem to think they are being clever and that we should comprehend the technique but all it did for me was frustrate.

What else is new?

6. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

Possibly my biggest gripe with the show is how they use time. Flashbacks and time jumps are cool when used well and sparingly. Using them as often and as ineffectively as TWD does... not so much.

7. Chiron

Chiron Member

Missed the thread.
    The whole RV segue grated on me. Except for the scene of Rick on top of the RV which reminded me of the tank scene Season 1, and the black and white shots of Rick remembering his loved ones. I have said this before but those walkers in RV scene were so tame. They were basically giving Rick a cuddle rather than really trying to rip his guts out.

As annoying as "Find my Axe" was Negan saying '" think about what happened...blah de blah" Seemed so obvious to give us the flashback of the deaths in the time jump.
    I would have been happy with linear for sure as the setting in the S6 finale lineup was SO GOOD, atmosphere and all. If they had kept us right there in those moments with a nicely splashed Negan, Rick shaking drenched with terror sweat how cool that would have been in my view, and infinitely more terrifying. They would have been able to keep every shot including Carl.

But all in all in re-watches it was a great episode and very enjoyable.