Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

I Don't Understand Why Morgan's Teacher Did That

Discussion in 'Episode 604 - Here's Not Here' started by Brahmabull, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Watching Dead

Watching Dead Member

Its just my opinion but I think Eastman was ready and wanting to die. Just as the ZA was starting he was on his way to turn himself in for the murder of his family's murderer. When he tried to turn himself in society had already broken down and there was no one to surrender to so he just surrendered to a mundane philosophy in isolation.

He woke up a bit because Morgan gave him an opportunity to utilize his skills of psychoanalysis but it wasn't enough to overcome his functional dystonia. He talked about leaving to find people but never really motivated to do it. He finally made the cheese so he was out of goals. I don't think he sought death but when it came he didn't try hard to avoid it.

Eastman was a family man with a purpose who had it all taken a way in a short time. I don't think he was ready for a life without joy and purpose. He was smart enough to know how hard that would be to find in the ZA.

P.S. Gunther Eastman just my vote :) He looked like a Gunther.

2. ΖΟΜΠΙ

ΖΟΜΠΙ New Member

I agree with the OP, this was some seriously lazy writing. He could have so easily pushed the zombie instead of literally turning his back to it and inviting it to take a nice, juicy bite. But you know, he had to die...

3. ellisfella

ellisfella Member

Like Pele or Ronaldinho?

4. Lummsy200

Lummsy200 Member

Sweet pull!

5. Lori Grimes

Lori Grimes Active Member

It's typical TWD ImO. If you display you are nice and trying to keep some morals or values, you die. Usually in the stupidest way

6. RS92

RS92 Member

So let's hope they are going to bring crazy Morgan back soon..

7. RS92

RS92 Member

But this guy is way stupid now (Morgan) .. That "W" guy wants to kill everyone and Morgan decides to keep him alive..

8. kivo1889

kivo1889 Member

Cooler than that, more rock star; like Slash, Bono or Sting (is it The Edge or the Edge?).

Or Morgan, the Zen rock star of TWD.

Daryl can be Lynyrd Skynyrd.

As for Eastman making such an out of character error (as far as we can know his character in just 1 episode); just back luck/brain fart as he tried to defend someone who he'd come to care about. And an expedient plot device to progress the story and Morgan's arc.

I'm guessing that they didn't want another 'Morgan' lurking in the background like the real Morgan has done for the past 5 seasons either. So orf with his head...

#48 kivo1889, Nov 4, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  9. mfinley

mfinley Member

But he had to die... had he simply done the logical thing a super black belt aikido warrior could do he wouldn't have died, writers couldn't have that

10. scooch

scooch New Member

This is just untenable. It transcended bad writing as it was an all around failure to execute the scene that should not have ended in such an incredibly unbelievable and anti-climatic fashion. This sequence of events is only meant to further the development of Morgan but turns into a complete head scratcher in the penultimate climax of the episode. Let's be honest, it was cheap and took the wind out from my sails and left me saying something along the lines of "Wait, what? You can do better than that." Glen's fall(and possible demise as well) into the zombie horde via Nicholas's suicide left me with the exact feeling and it's just frustrating as these cheap outs have plagued this show since nearly it's inception. Just saying, I don't buy it and it's these moments that keep me from really enjoying the show....cheap outs, developing cheap characters that develop the cheap story arcs inevitably developing a cheap show.

11. Zombie_Rhino

Zombie_Rhino Well-Known Member

There has to be some point where u draw the line, right? I mean he flat out said he wants to kill everyone. I guess Morgan might see a little bit of himself in this guy (at least the point where Morgan was right before he met Eastman), but I think the difference is that Morgan had a good side to him and he let the ZA get to him and turn him crazy. Who knows if this wolf EVER had a good side? I wouldn't take a chances trying to figure that out - because not only could he kill Morgan, but the rest of the town as well. Eastman's only risk was with himself (and Tabitha I guess).

12. Biffster

Biffster Well-Known Member

Lone Wolf McQuade COULD do a 180 and suddenly value life, but there is nothing so far to suggest that is even a remote possibility. Just like they couldn't trust the inmates at the prison (who all ended up being killed off), this guy is too much of a threat as well. He is conversational and kind of endearing, as was Gareth, but a sociopath does not change his ways. I'd be wondering how easy that house is to break out of. I don't think an enclosed veranda is going to be enough.

13. iliketwd

iliketwd New Member

Just the writers way of showing that Eastman was only in this one episode to shed light on Morgan's story, nothing else.

14. Zombie_Rhino

Zombie_Rhino Well-Known Member

I guess that's a tough position to be in - both in the show and in real life. If you were psychiatrist, how can you tell which people are truly good and have made poor decisions versus those that are inherently bad and are just trying to appear good enough to have you let them go? The difference between Morgan and Eastman is that Eastman did this as a profession and is probably a pretty good judge of reading people - so perhaps he saw the good in Morgan rather quickly. Since Morgan does not have these skills, I do not think he should be the one who is trying to pass judgement on this wolf and find a way to trust and rehabilitate him.

15. Benrai2k

Benrai2k Active Member

Not lazy writing, but it probably could have been choreographed a bit better.

16. Biffster

Biffster Well-Known Member

Good points about observation and perceptual skills. Also, I think Morgan tends to go to extremes; he is not really the personification of balance. He should be aware that him letting those wolves live earlier is at least partly responsible for their attack and the deaths of many people. Sure, all life is precious, but sometimes some lives have to be sacrificed to save the ones that are more important to you. Tough choices.