Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

"I don't want it!"

Discussion in 'Episode 407 - Dead Weight' started by Mr Sinister, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Mr Sinister

Mr Sinister Member

The Governor said this repeatedly as he was pushing Martinez into the walker pit. I've been trying to figure out what he meant by it, and the best I could come up with was that he didn't want to have to embrace his dark side again and revert back to his old self. Any thoughts?

2. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

He didn't want to be the governor anymore.. Still an evil psycho, just didn't want to be the Gov anymore..

3. asdf

asdf Member

This. Why the hell was he mumbling that for?

4. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

Didn't he say, "Dad" in there too once? I thought he was supposed to be regressing back to his childhood and talking about the cigarettes.

5. MKnight

MKnight Member

I think he was talking about not wanting the leadership and responsibility back. He had just gotten out of his funk of messing things up so bad before, and I think he just wanted to be a normal guy trying to do the best for his new family.

6. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

You both are on the right track. Philip was screaming "I don't want it!" because his rational side, his rekindled humanity, didn't want to take leadership of the group, because he would only lead them into a war against Rick's group.

Unfortunately, Philip's darker side, his primal side, won the battle.

7. Lolly92660

Lolly92660 Member

And when "Brian" asked Martinez if he could guarantee his new family's safety and Martinez kind of vacillated, The Guv HAD to return.

8. Reflexx

Reflexx Member

He did try escaping his destiny, but the road was blocked. It seemed at that moment he realized he couldn't run away from who he is.

9. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

He also couldn't afford to have Martinez alive with the knowledge he had about his past. At any moment he could completely reveal the Governor's history to the new family. And throughout the course of the episode Martinez kept bringing up stuff too and the Governor changed the subject. It was just a matter of time...

10. mtamborra

mtamborra Member

I think it was very obvious that "I DON'T WANT IT" means "I DON'T WANT TO GOLF RIGHT NOW, it sucks with this one eye thing!"

11. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Earlier Martinez tried to sell him a time share in New Jersey. I mean really...New Jersey??? I would have acted the same way.

But actually he didn't want to lead a group again. It happened right after Martinez said "maybe we can share the crown". Later, the Governor even took his new family in a car to try to escape it, but the strange haggle of mud walkers prevented that.

12. MrSmith317

MrSmith317 Active Member

The theories you people come up with.....it's obvious that Martinez had a van and told the Gov there was candy in the back. Then Martinez touched his no-no parts. The Gov had a flashback of what happened and flipped out. "I don't want it" refers to the candy. Especially after the Gov and Martinez were getting all chummy up on the roof of that RV parked (I'm guessing) miles away from the camp....because that makes total sense...wait, was that Dale's RV?

13. Mr Sinister

Mr Sinister Member

Well, it appears most of us were on the right track. Here is the answer straight from an interview The Hollywood Reporter just finished conducting with show runner Scott Gimple.

Is the Governor's takeover of Martinez's community all part of a larger plan to claim the prison?
    No, the Governor absolutely didn't expect this to happen. This is something that he was trying to resist. It was a part of Lily, Tara and Megan's life. He was absolutely trying to avoid becoming a leader in Martinez's group. As he was killing Martinez -- and it's a very conflicted moment -- he said, "I don't want it. I don't want this." It was such a point of anger for him. It was everything he didn't want, but he didn't want love and attachments, which is seemingly a new wife and little girl and having a family again. With the good things he didn't want, he's also getting the terrible things that he didn't want, too.

14. joshred4

joshred4 Member

He was saying that he didn't want to lead anymore. And it was funny because Pete also mentioned sharing leadership with TG while walking in the woods on the second supply run, and TG ended up killing him (although it's ironic because he killed Pete for the sake of taking leadership, and it seemed as though he killed Martinez for even offering leadership...)

15. mtito914

mtito914 Active Member

he was talking to the devil on his shoulder..

16. RonRevogeht

RonRevogeht Member

The camp probably wasn't safe with Martinez or Pete in charge. Martinez was a heavy drinker and Pete made decisions that compromised the safety and well-being of the group.

17. rabscuttle1

rabscuttle1 Well-Known Member

If the Gov. wasn't weak at his core he'd never have turned bad and Woodbury would be a thriving city with army protection. Rick and his group would be living there with most of the group being in positions of authority, with Rick being the sheriff most likely, and they'd be well on their way to taking back civilization from the dead. But unfortunately, like all villains, the Gov. is weak and he's going to bring ruin to all. Somewhere in the back of his mind the Gov. knows this, and what little is left of his humanity doesn't want it.

18. Porfivor Nixon

I thought it sounded silly. It seemed like a feeble effort to give him depth that just isn't there.

19. tallahasseehero

He was battling his inner Governor. He probably felt that his desire to be the ruler was creeping back up, but he was still trying to fight against it. Martinez was a threat and a link to his past so he snapped on him. It was all in vain though because by the end of the episode he felt like there was no other choice for him but to become the Governor.

20. Zvivor

Zvivor Well-Known Member

Yes -- very perceptive! I think this is right (much better than Gimple's rationale, even if they are the writers.)