Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

I know we still need to wait one more week

Discussion in 'Volume 17: Something To Fear' started by marsyao, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Mogwai

Mogwai New Member

it looks like it will be a looong time before I can read issue 99. Does anybody care to give a full detailed synopsis of what all goes down?

I want to stay up to date in discussion and I know with all the issue 100 talk that spoilers will be rampant, so it's not like such a synopsis will ruin anything. I just wanna be able to involve myself in the discussion haha

-Edit

nevermind, I got to read 99. Not as much as I expected.

Rick might have saw the people looking at the place and there might be something up Rick's sleeve. Alexandria is still doomed though, just because it's time for a new place.. but I don't think it will be because of the events in 99.

If it is... Eh...

either way I'm pretty sure Rick saw them on the roof. The direction he was looking when he made that facial expression was directly at the building they were on

#21 Mogwai, Jun 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  2. Scarry Larry

Scarry Larry Member

Ive been wondering if Ricks just being stupid right now or deep down knows the place is doomed and is abandoning ship. Thats not really indicated in his body language though. He looks like a guy that thinks hes doing the right thing for everyone. Then again, delusional people can be like that... I dont think hed abandon Andrea. But I just dont understand why he wouldnt stay and fight. Or why he thinks going to Hilltop is going to help things at all. Thats not how the barter system works. "Um yeh, remember how we said wed kick the Saviors asses in exchange for all the food you gave us? Well, I think theyre actually gonna kick our asses... And I was wondering if you might be able to spare a couple of your toughest guys..." Well see. But either way it doesnt seem like hes gonna make it back in time.

3. Mogwai

Mogwai New Member

Eh, I really doubt Rick is abandoning Alexandria. That just goes against his character and it might buy him time but it really doesn't make him any safer. Like Hilltop wouldn't sell him or anyone else out to save their ass? I honestly see no reasonable alternatives to fighting it out at this point. Of course they could just leave the area and hope to find a new place to call home that's far away.. but I doubt that's going to happen. Talk about an anticlimactic storyline yeh?

I also have a hard time thinking Rick would seriously go to a group of pussies for manpower. Hilltop obviously can't handle their own shit and he expects to recruit a worthwhile force? I mean we know Jesus is a formidable fighter, but that's it.. and the trip wouldn't be worth picking up one guy right now.

Rick absolutely must have something up his sleeve. There's no way he's leaving Alexandria at such a handicap now of all times. If he did it would be an unrealistic bad decision. I understand mistakes have to be made sometimes, but doing that is just a bit much. If that's seriously what happens the if Alexandria and survivors are destroyed next issue the event will feel so forced.

Kirkman has proven to be a good writer.. but if he really writes Rick to make such a obviously bad choice at this time.. it's just a bit too much. I would definitely call it bad writing because like I said, it's unrealistic for somebody to do something that dumb. I hope Kirkland has some curveball to catch us off guard, because the events of 99 almost make it seem too obvious what will be in 100. If there's not something up Rick's sleeve then I'll be so upset. Not because Alexandria gets destroyed or because we lose loved characters, but just because the much anticipated issue 100 will feel forced and will feel like bad story telling in my opinion. that's not Kirkman, so something has to be up... right?

If Rick does have a plan in his head.. why not tell his group? Is he afraid there's a possible mole in the group? That's possible, so I could see not telling everyone.. But he could've told people like Andrea, Michonne, and Glenn in private. Of course he may not be saying anything so readers don't know it's going to happen.. which sounds cool but at the same time it just doesn't make sense to devise some secret plan and tell nobody in this case...

So I don't know. I'm worried about issue 100.. not because we may lose characters, I'm just worried my expectations in the quality of writing may be too high.

4. tragictwist

tragictwist New Member

Did it specifically show the Saviors by Alexandria? I read it (very quickly), but I immediately thought that the Saviors would attack Rick's group... I've read that 100 is supposed to be the "darkest moment in Rick's life", so what if the Saviors attack and possibly kill Carl? Or at least try?

Or maybe they kill Maggie and Sophia (I'm doubting they could defend themselves too well), and at least attempt to kill Michonne?

I don't know, just the end of 99 initially made me fear for Maggie, Sophia, and Glenn's lives. And then the Heath and Dr. Cloyd (I believe that's her name) conversation immediately made me think, "Well, goodbye Heath".
    I suppose an attack on Alexandria is much more plausible, but it seems too obvious to me.

Also Andrea is my favorite character and I am definitely in denial about any possible death for her right now, ha.

5. marsyao

marsyao Member

I do not think the Saviors are about to attack Rick's van, since they said something like "have everybody at their position and we will attack at the dawn", it would makes no sense if their target is the van.
    The worst scenario Dwright's attack was just a distraction, the main force of the Saviors were attacking the hilltop, so when Rick arrive the hilltop, he would find that place was overrun, either was burn down or was in the control of the Saviors, and he hurry back to the Alexandria, only find everyone left there were killed

6. Scarry Larry

Scarry Larry Member

Great point. Ive been saying for years what makes this series great is- w/ the possible exception of Carl- every characters actions and words fit the character. They do and say what youd expect. You sit back and you think, "Yeh, if I was that character, if I was that kind of person, Id probably do the same thing..." The twists are in the events. So yeh, if Rick continues to act like an idiot, then you can safely call it bad storytelling.

Upon further review, I feel pretty sure hes not abandoning Alexandria (I was never convinced he was, but it seemed like a possibility...). His facial expressions through most of this issue are those of a man who is sane and believes he is doing the best thing for everyone. I do however think theres a decent chance he saw the Saviors. Look at his face in the last panel on the 2nd to last page. Thats an "oh shit" face. I predict what will happen is hell think about things and decide to turn back. Hell fess up that he saw the group of Saviors on the roof before they left. Tell Glenn and the others they have to turn around b/c hes got a feeling theyre gonna attack soon. When they get back to Alexandria, theyll roll up on the back of the Saviors. And thats where all Hell breaks loose...

7. OFC. Friendly

OFC. Friendly Member

Though I do not really think this is what is/will happen, here goes an option:

What if Rick wants to make the Saviors THINKk he is leaving, only to circle back to attack from behind as the Saviors attempt to breach the gates of Alexandria. He knows that the Saviors know where Alexandria is, Rick does not know where their hideout is. He would bet that they would have scouts 24/7 on alexandria (as they did) to keep tabs. So once he leaves, they would most likely attack - huge gamble i know.

So, it could be Rick's facial expression/look out of the passanger window was him questioning whether or not he should have mentioned his plan to those who stayed. Maybe he didn't want to tip off the Savior's if they are watching or believes as someone else suggested here taht there is a mole.

Think about it, this is the only way Rick might have the upper hand not knowing the base of the Saviors or where to look for them. they would have andrea on a secured wall, while Rick and crew come at them from behind. Seems unrealistic, but this is a ZA we are talking about.

Rick's darkest day would be him not fully explaining his plan which basically gets Alexandria wiped out - failed as a leader - lots of people killed because he left.....

8. OFC. Friendly

OFC. Friendly Member

I guess I should have read your entire post before i posted.....this is a version of what i believe will happen.....

9. Scarry Larry

Scarry Larry Member

Thats cool. We have the same idea. The only difference is I dont think Rick has it in his head yet. I think hes gonna start feeling guilty as he gets away from Alexandria. He'll tell Glenn & Co. they have to turn back. When they get back to Alexandria the attack will be in progress. It'll work out that theyre coming up the backside. Theyll kill a bunch of Saviors. But the Saviors will do their damage too. Alexandrias getting thinned out. And I still think someone or more than one very important person in Ricks life is going down. Carl. I think its about time to see what kind of asshole Rick becomes when hes not looking out for his family. When hes just looking out for himself.

10. marsyao

marsyao Member

Unlikely, if this is all a plan, Rick would have told Andrea, and he would not take Carl, Sophia and pregnant Maggie with him, they would be much safer inside the wall.
    Rick was looking at Andrea standing at the age,his facial expression could means that, deep inside his mind, he knows this would be the last time he see Andrea alive

11. OFC. Friendly

OFC. Friendly Member

Your total theory makes much more sense sense, he never really did have a plan - his plan is to go talk to the Hilltop....really....even if he DID have one, they always seem to go to shit....such is "life" in ZA.

I don't know about Carl - hasn't the point all along been keeping family safe. If he loses Carl, I believe he may not be the focial point of the story any longer.....He has nothing then, no reason to continue - may just opt out.....

12. OFC. Friendly

OFC. Friendly Member

why does he not think he will see Andrea again, he just said that he didn't think that the Saviors are prepared to attack - too soon after, he figures he will be back before they decide too......he probably wishes he woudl have taken her, so that he doesn't have to go back.....Larry has it, on the way back to Alex., they will come up on the saviors attacking the stronghold.....not sure how they plan to breach that.....

13. Scarry Larry

Scarry Larry Member

Regardless of what he said, hes gotta know in the back of his head anything could happen and it might indeed be the last time he sees Andrea, or anyone else.

Im still just completely baffled by Ricks decision. How do you come to the conclusion Saviors wont attack. If Im Rick, I come clean and say something like: "I mightve got us in over our heads. I thought we could take these guys. But I dont know how many there are. Or what kind of weapons theyre sitting on. They could come back at anytime, so we need to be ready for anything." Let Glenn go on his own. They only have one vehicle? Or send someone else w/ em.

Btw, I went back and read a few of the recent issues today. The folks at Hilltop do refer to Negan as a person. There were some ideas about that floating around a few weeks ago. Pretty sure he is indeed a man.

14. OFC. Friendly

OFC. Friendly Member

What about when, during the first encounter with the saviors, the group said "We are all Negan, he speaks through us" or something like that.....did you go back to where Paul Monroe said he woudl introduce Rick to Kenneth....and never does, he meets Gregory....WHO IS KENNETH! Issue #93, Page 1, 4th Window - Paul mentions Kenneth.....have not seen Kenneth at all or much of Paul lately....I figure they show up in 100

15. Scarry Larry

Scarry Larry Member

Yeh, I read across the Kenneth thing too. And I noticed Gregory is very quick to toot his own horn. Take credit for a lot of stuff. Curious about how that whole relationship is gonna unfold. Its entirely possible Ricks getting played by Hilltop. That theyres some dirty hands in their leadership.

16. tragictwist

tragictwist New Member

Just wanna say if anybody saw my previous post on this thread suggesting that it is Rick's group (and not Alexandria) that gets attacked, I am convinced now that this is the case.

Anybody else read the issue 100 preview?